RDP over internet or Global Ethernet/IPLC?

winteladmin

ISP
ILL
Hi There- We have our office in Chennai, and we are have 20-30 peoples working on RDP over to servers in USA, So far i have been Using internet leased line for the users, some times my dev's are not able to work as there were lot of latency between the sites. Just wanted to know if it is recommended to Use IPLC /Global Ethernet service from ISP's between Chennai & USA for RDP . Also if some body has experience with India IPLC/Global Ethernet, kindly let me know Thanks MSK

Hi There- We have our office in Chennai, and we are have 20-30 peoples working on RDP over to servers in USA, So far i have been Using internet leased line for the users, some times my dev's are not able to work as there were lot of latency between the sites.

Just wanted to know if it is recommended to Use IPLC /Global Ethernet service from ISP's between Chennai & USA for RDP .

Also if some body has experience with India IPLC/Global Ethernet, kindly let me know

Thanks
MSK

Depends where in the USA we are talking. India > California connectivity is generally very good. States like Florida are utterly crap, for reasons including distance and shoddy connectivity to some US states.

Also keep in mind that the Gulf states are about as far as you can get from India (would be polar opposite if we kept the line in the northern hemisphere) and will never have better than ~250 to 300ms even on a leased line - unless you literally lease the entire route (which is cost prohibitive), and even then the pings won't go down significantly enough to warrant the extra expense (there are lower limits) - unless you're from some financial institution and an improvement of like 6ms means an extra $100m a year to you 😀

Depends where in the USA we are talking. India > California connectivity is generally very good. States like Florida are utterly crap, for reasons including distance and shoddy connectivity to some US states.

Also keep in mind that the Gulf states are about as far as you can get from India (would be polar opposite if we kept the line in the northern hemisphere) and will never have better than ~250 to 300ms even on a leased line - unless you literally lease the entire route (which is cost prohibitive), and even then the pings won't go down significantly enough to warrant the extra expense (there are lower limits) - unless you're from some financial institution and an improvement of like 6ms means an extra $100m a year to you 😀

Thanks Very much Carley for the clarification.
I am talking about seattle in USA, I have been getting, 240-310 ms fluctuating over the internet, that makes my team unable to work while they use RDP to seattle servers,

I have been hearing from ISP's that with other service like Global Ethernet, & IPLC the latency can be kept stable and hece RDP will not have the issue, Just wanted to check if that is really possible and has some body used gloabl ethernet or IPLC for there environment.

Thanks
Appriciate it.

Well I do RDP to US servers very frequently from home, and my experience suggests the ping matters as much as the speed. I have a regular no frills 1Mbps connection at home, and dont' experience any delay while working.

Thanks Very much Carley for the clarification.
I am talking about seattle in USA, I have been getting, 240-310 ms fluctuating over the internet, that makes my team unable to work while they use RDP to seattle servers,

I have been hearing from ISP's that with other service like Global Ethernet, & IPLC the latency can be kept stable and hece RDP will not have the issue, Just wanted to check if that is really possible and has some body used gloabl ethernet or IPLC for there environment.

Thanks
Appriciate it.

What leased line have you got now? (From who and how much bandwidth have you got?)

The range of 240-310ms is what I might consider to be "expected", especially during peak hours.

As mentioned in my previous post, you can definitely get a point to point connection but often these are cost prohibitive unless it's really worth doing for your company - the reason for the cost is that it is "carrier level" bandwidth and basically you get your own reserved bandwidth on the cables between you and the destination.

Well I do RDP to US servers very frequently from home, and my experience suggests the ping matters as much as the speed. I have a regular no frills 1Mbps connection at home, and dont' experience any delay while working.

Perhaps there are two issues at play here: with your 1mbit/s connection, you've got 1mbit/s to use for 1 session, whereas he is trying to cram as many as 30 sessions in to whatever bandwidth he has (it is not mentioned - if it's 10mbit/s or less, this may be part of the problem).