VoIP now legal in India?

• Thread starter Thread starter bhagwad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 41,741

bhagwad

ISP
Reliance
VoIP has so far been illegal within India - meaning you cannot have a gateway connecting to Indian telephone numbers from a call originating in India. But there seems to be an app called "freephoo" from a Swedish company which allows just this:

Freephoo Mobile VoIP App Now Launched In India

Has the TRAI finally come to its senses?

ok. i might be wrong here. but i think i could have used skype to call a landline number from my phone. i think voip services operating in india are probably not allowed to do that. but i can use international services?

I got Vonage VOIP unit registered in U.S earlier, with U.S phone number.I could contact my relative also with Vonage (US number) locally in Chennai !Now switched over to OOMA. Both don't need laptop to connect . Cost approx $100/=per annum.

Skype calls to India always worked, though very expensive

----------

I guess that Skype overcomes this issue by terminating the VOIP call to POTS outside India

ok. i might be wrong here. but i think i could have used skype to call a landline number from my phone. i think voip services operating in india are probably not allowed to do that. but i can use international services?

Can anyone confirm this? I don't think it has been possible (legal?) so far to call an Indian telephone number using Skype from WITHIN INDIA itself. Since this "freephoo" is announcing it so publicly, something must have changed. Meaning VoIP is now 100% legal in India - that's huge! If companies can undercut the telcos with VoIP costs, it's the start of a completely new telephone model in India.

If true, how long before we can use Google Voice in India? 😀 - I'm salivating already.

VoIP has so far been illegal within India - meaning you cannot have a gateway connecting to Indian telephone numbers from a call originating in India. But there seems to be an app called "freephoo" from a Swedish company which allows just this:

Freephoo Mobile VoIP App Now Launched In India

Has the TRAI finally come to its senses?

This service just offers VoIP to VoIP calls through your smart phone and International VoIP - PSTN calling, both of which are perfectly legal, where is the gateway connecting to Indian telephone no's?

You can do that using skype but that is not legal. Calling international no's on skype is ok though.

This service is operating the same as Fring, Nimbuzz, Skype and numerous others - all of which I use regularly to call both here and abroad. VOIP-VOIP calling in India is perfectly legal and even VOIP-PSTN is also legal BUT under two fairly distinct conditions:

1. The provider itself has to have a license which allows it to operate NLD (so basically any of the existing landline and cellular operators that have paid thousands of crores for such licenses, all of which are using VOIP to transmit PSTN calls on their long haul links - being that all the long haul links are fiber, the signals HAVE to be digitized) OR
2. The terminating point cannot be within India (calls can be routed from India to India via Singapore for example, or even Nepal).

They are not terminating calls to the PSTN network within India (and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even know what the TRAI is), but they are also not assigning e.164 compliant phone numbers to subscribers as far as I can see. By "launching in India" it probably means that they've procured the routes from their wholesale provider at a good enough rate that they can do the 100 minutes in EUR8.90 (that's nearly EUR0.09/minute, which last I checked is nearly 1.5x the rate of Skype, nearly 8x what I pay Fring and otherwise damned expensive for calling within India!) - and still profit from them.

There's nothing illegal - or new - about this *service* that I can ascertain - it looks like it would be as good as any of the similar services on the market, but what I can seem to see as it's USP is that it can take over the phone's default calling app to route calls through it's network - which is kinda cool as it saves starting the app separately... but like any other app, you'd want to make sure most of your contacts are also using it for it to be worthwhile (as in, you can avail of the free talktime that they offer for freephoo to freephoo calling - again, nothing new about that?)

Sorry to sound cynical, but... the title of the thread sucked me in 🙁

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like my celebration was premature 🙁 . Dammit, the TRAI said they would remove all restrictions for VoIP in India...still waiting I guess.

TRAI of course wants to do a lot of things which are pro-consumer in nature.

If they had their way... India would be competing with Japan and South Korea in terms of technology 😛

They have made so many cool recommendations over the year... Some of them which are not yet implemented...

1. update to the definition of broadband in india
2. dth interoperability
3. removal of mobile roaming concept
etc etc. 😕

----------

the problem is that they are just a recommendation body. they do not have any actual powers. rules and regulations are made by DoT i believe. which seems to be working for the private companies. 😕

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like my celebration was premature 🙁 . Dammit, the TRAI said they would remove all restrictions for VoIP in India...still waiting I guess.

They're a step closer with the proposal of the new unified license... if that comes through it'll be pretty awesome.

BUT

the price point *may* even be too low, causing many of India's 140+ licensed providers to try their hand at becoming MVNO's in various other sectors within the telecom market (especially cellular-services) and... that may not be a good thing. There is such a thing as too much competition (there are already what... 14 cellular operators as it is?)

1. The provider itself has to have a license which allows it to operate NLD (so basically any of the existing landline and cellular operators that have paid thousands of crores for such licenses, all of which are using VOIP to transmit PSTN calls on their long haul links - being that all the long haul links are fiber, the signals HAVE to be digitized) OR

Considering the absence of USL, is this allowed by any express provision in the regulatory framework or you are just putting two and two together, i.e. because a company has UASL and NLDL so it is something that *should* be legal. What happens to the interests of only NLD licence holders. There is a difference between a company offering PSTN-VoIP connectivity within India to end consumers and using a packet switched network on its backhaul.

2. The terminating point cannot be within India (calls can be routed from India to India via Singapore for example, or even Nepal).

This one's obviously allowed so a non-issue.

Considering the absence of USL, is this allowed by any express provision in the regulatory framework or you are just putting two and two together, i.e. because a company has UASL and NLDL so it is something that *should* be legal. What happens to the interests of only NLD licence holders. There is a difference between a company offering PSTN-VoIP connectivity within India to end consumers and using a packet switched network on its backhaul.

1. I'm more or less regurgitating what I've been told when asking the same questions.
2. ...not really. It's more or less the same thing, but on a different scale.

It's legal for certain companies because they have satisfied the licensing requirements for those services, rather than someone just being able to install some SIP-server on a box in a data-centre, buy a block of numbers and say "woohoo, phone service"... something that *can* be done in other countries.

The next best thing that can be offered here is VOIP-VOIP service (with non-standards-compliant phone numbers, so no domestic incoming calls except between users of the same service, or standards-compliant numbers offering international incoming calls with numbers from a country which has that possibility)... outgoing service is super-easy.

1. I'm more or less regurgitating what I've been told when asking the same questions.

It's legal for certain companies because they have satisfied the licensing requirements for those services...

1. Therefore, its not legal yet, rather its in a legal grey area.

2. ...not really. It's more or less the same thing, but on a different scale.

2. Are you saying that a company offering an ATA with SIP connectivity to the PSTN network or a virtual PSTN number with VoIP connectivity is the same as a telco using packet based switching on its backbone?

1. Therefore, its not legal yet, rather its in a legal grey area.

No. I'm saying with the right licenses, a company can offer services which are almost entirely VOIP based, however, the limitation is that the VOIPPSTN part can not be with the customer, that is, it has to be on equipment under the company's control, that is, at the exchange or cabinet.

2. Are you saying that a company offering an ATA with SIP connectivity to the PSTN network or a virtual PSTN number with VoIP connectivity is the same as a telco using packet based switching on its backbone?

If we oversimplify the situation, then yes - it's the same thing but in a different scope, the main difference is in where the conversion happens: the exchange or the home. As I was trying to convey, the difference is where that PSTN signal changes in to a digital signal (which is where my simplification of the details begins).

In Airtel/Reliance/Tata's case, maybe the box in your building (or the next building), which in most cases is the same box that supplies DSL service and is most likely to be connected to fiber of some sort. In MTNL's case, it's probably the cabinet in your street or even the exchange itself. Similarly with BSNL.

But in no case is the equipment in the customer's hands. At the moment, the key to this is that the necessary equipment is to be under the control of the company (and indirectly, the government with all it's monitoring awfulness), and as it is now, this way is the only way to satisfy the government requirements for what is more or less a VOIPPSTN interaction - the telco can safely say "this number is assigned to this address".

Unlike VOIP, which is why I think part of the reason for the reluctance to allow VOIP is because it is portable. I can take an ATA or a VOIP number on any SIP software and use it pretty much anywhere on the planet without the provider having much control over that, whereas a PSTN number is assigned to the copper coming in to my premises and to move that number to another location requires their permission and co-operation.

That being said, there's nothing to stop a provider preventing access to it's SIP server from outside it's network, but even if no such measures were taken, it's still easy to monitor - but for some reason the government hasn't yet figured out that it's easier and cheaper to monitor VOIP than PSTN, so, we're stuck with what we have.

Thats what i am saying, there is no PSTN-VoIP for the consumer. Telco's may do it on their backends, but the consumer cannot do it. Its illegal. I can't place a skype call from my computer (or even call from an Indian VoIP service provider) to a PSTN number. On the other hand, once the call exits my house via an analogue signal through my landline service provider it may be routed over a Packet/IP based network, which is not visible to me and doesnt exist as far as i am concerned.You are confusing back-haul (be it to the kerbside) with end user connectivity, my voice if it has to be heard on a PSTN number must exit my house on an analogue signal less than 3.4 Khz.In short PSTN to VoIP and vice versa is not legal yet in India, fact that Telco's are digitising packets at some point in their network doesnt mean that consumers can do it too.