VoIP now legal in India?

• Thread starter Thread starter bhagwad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 41,742
Ah. I see you purposefully removed my UID from the quote so I wouldn't get the notification of this.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]
Nothing is stopping you from violating the law, If you want you can violate it when you want, If the violation goes unpunished because govt’s hands are tied, or due to the fact that the govt. doesn’t monitor your actions, it automatically implies that the actions are legal? What logic is that ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Any VoIP provider having or not having an ITSP license (ie ISP licence as you insist) and providing calls to landline/mobiles in India is doing something illegal as per the ISP licensing terms. IF the provider is a registered ITSP, the govt can obviously shut it down. If the provider is abroad the govt can block its servers through the ISP’s, just make a complaint and bring it to the notice of the authorities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]An unlicensed operator cannot even offer landline/mobile calls to foreign countries. Don’t know what you are talking about. There have been many cases where illegal VoIP exchanges have been busted/shut down by the govt. (not only for international calling but also India PSTN calling)[/FONT] [FONT=&]
[/FONT]

Please re-read what I had said. I said NOT in India. That means that the voice traffic gets on to the PSTN outside of India. This is 100% legal and there would be no reason for the government to block it, nor is any license required in India. The law had been saying that it's illegal to perform the traffic exchange within Indian borders only - if this were not the case, then ever single VOIP provider on earth would be illegal according to the Indian government. A Skype call from within India to India *is* legal because the traffic is exchanged outside of Indian jurisdiction.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]
So it becomes legal? Why its not blocked and they manage to get away is mentioned is the 1st part of the post. [/FONT]

No, it doesn't magically "become legal", it's just being done in a legal way, that is, by passing the traffic through a gateway outside of the country. I think if the Indian government tried to directly impose it's regulations on any service located outside of India, the government of that country would have a massive shit.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]Nowhere allowed by the license as mentioned before. You are just repeating yourself, trying to subvert rules by technical arguments.

Exactly. I could not offer this service using equipment within India nor could I allocate Indian numbers, however I could, theoretically, set up a server in Singapore under the Indian company (or even a foreign company) and pass traffic through that. I could not allocate a number with the country code +91 (no license to do so) but I could allocate numbers from another country that allows such things. And to reach India with my VOIP traffic, I's still have to buy PSTN minutes from Singtel or someone like that in order to complete the call.

cyberwiz said:
Incorrect rationale and application of law. If I am sitting outside India and committing/abetting an illegality in India or something which is not allowed in India, that means I have not committed any crime in India?

Yes. Actually it does.

If I make a super-easy example that isn't technology related: let's say I commit sodomy in the Netherlands (and just for the sake of the argument, let's assume that the other party is an Indian citizen). This act is not allowed in a lot of countries but AFAIK perfectly fine in NL. Can the Indian government arrest me? No. They cannot as they do not have jurisdiction. Can they potentially arrest me if I/we come back to India? No. Because I/we weren't in India.

Similarly, if I operate a VOIP gateway in my home country and Indian citizens in India use it to complete voice calls to countries including but not limited to India, can the Indian government arrest me? No, because the act [of converting a VOIP call to a PSTN call] was done in a jurisdiction where such activity is allowed. Simple.

cyberwiz said:
that means the Indian law doesn’t apply to me?

While you're outside India, no, it doesn't. The local laws would apply. There are things people are allowed do in foreign countries which would scare the living daylights out of the Indian government - like openly criticize the government.

cyberwiz said:
Ofcourse the Indian govt cannot arrest me in a foreign country without the consent of the concerned country, but the fact that the govt cannot arrest me does not mean that I have committed no crime or the Indian law doesn’t apply to me.[/FONT]

I hate to burst your bubble but they can't arrest you outside of India unless you committed a crime in India before leaving and then fled the country. Even then, for the Indian government to arrest you in a foreign country they would need the local forces to do the arrest AND an extradition treaty.

Take for example the Kim Dotcom raid in NZ. He was arrested by NZ police at the request of US authorities. The only difference is that he was running servers inside the US, and even then, while it was thought at the time that the actions of the US were legal, it turns out that they very much were not - and it's quite unlikely that the bloke will be extradited even though I believe we have a treaty with the US.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]If you are doing something not allowed to Indian ITSP’s just because you are sitting outside India, it makes your actions legal? if you enter India having done that you can very well be prosecuted, no one will accept your argument that Indian law doesn’t apply to you.[/FONT]

If the actions are legal in that country, then yes, it makes your actions legal. If I enter India while running a VOIP gateway in another country then I can only be arrested/prosecuted IF I commit a crime in India, which, accordingly would mean that if I had had a VOIP gateway setup inside the Indian borders, would leave me vulnerable to arrest because I would have violated an Indian law in India. However, leaving that gateway in, say, Singapore or NZ or Australia or the US where all this is perfectly legal then it would be one hell of an overstretch to even suggest that by operating such a server in any of those places leaves me susceptible to the laws of India. For that to be true, the laws of India would have to apply EVERYWHERE ON EARTH, and last I checked, that was not the case.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]You can have trunks in Honolulu, Singapore and Philippines. You cannot terminate a VoiP call from within India to PSTN within India. Period. This is the law as it stands today. [/FONT]

Exactly. WITHIN India. However if the VOIP call is transferred in Singapore or whereever to a PSTN line, this is perfectly legal. See [2.2 (ii) b] of the ISP license.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]Because the ITSP is in the form of a clause in the ISP, there are no licensed versus unlicensed operators? Distinction ceases to exist?! That’s a subjective view that only you hold.[/FONT]

I think you need to re-read what I actually said. There is no VOIP-only [ITSP] license. It has to be signed separately as part of another license. So a company without one of the other licenses can not therefore apply for a standalone ITSP license.

Then again, if I were to offer a VOIP service outside of India, then I am only bound to get whatever licenses I am required to get (if any) in the country of my choice. As it happens, I could legally set up my own or even purchase a ready-made white-label service from a provider in my home country and supply services to anyone in the world - and there is nothing the Indian government could do about it. Hell, I could even sell it to Indians if I wanted to - you'd be free to use my softphone and make a call at whatever rates I prescribe and there is nothing the Indian government could do to stop me, because my company nor the company selling me the service would be in India, and therefore, not subject to it's laws. Completing the call to India is fine because between (for example) Singapore and India I would be on a traditional PSTN trunk (leased from AT&T or Verizon or Singtel or Tata or whoever) - which is perfectly legal.

Although the call quality would be rubbish because my home country is a semi-colon in the middle of the pacific.

cyberwiz said:
[FONT=&]1) What is the guarantee that the unlicensed operators are bringing the call in through a legal gateway? If the operator is unlicensed it will not use legal gateways. Infact most of the cheap VoIP providers don’t use legal gateways.

In India there are no legal gateways. They would have to do it abroad, where no such license exists to begin with.

cyberwiz said:
2) If the data packets go on to the network of two to three ISP’s before coming to the licensed ILD, the revenue goes to DoT?! [/FONT]
[FONT=&]

Depends on who receives the revenue. The receiving operator pays the DoT part of the revenue because it charges termination fees for the call, and the originating ISP (if it's in India) pays part of the revenue to the DoT because it charges the customer for his Internet account. But for any party outside India, no revenue is due to the DoT (again, if it were, then every ISP in the world would owe money to the DoT).

cyberwiz said:
Even if you are paying some money to the licensed ILD operator, it automatically means that you can avoid taking a license and paying the initial ISP license fee, and also the percentage required to be paid annually? That ILD fee covers everything? Try giving that logic to DoT.

If I buy capacity from TO India from OUTSIDE of India and that provider just *happens* to be an ILD licensee, then yes. So long as I am legally allowed to own and operate a business in the originating country, there is nothing from my side due to the DoT. If the packets for the VOIP call happen to originate in India, then the concerned ISP will pay part of it's revenue to the DoT from the money it takes for the subscriber account.

If it were true that merely connecting to India required an ISP license, then almost every ISP/VOIP provider in the world would have to have an Indian ISP license (or not connect to India).

cyberwiz said:
So I am correct, you are speaking for Skype, not for yourself, as you claimed before.

Yes, but I can speak for myself also. I am perfectly well entitled to start a company in another country and offer VOIP services if I feel so inclined.

cyberwiz said:
Think, Think and more think, laws don’t apply according to your thinking. If you have a doubt please consult any half-decent lawyer or DoT itself.

I already have, but have you? Unless you've passed the bar, I'm not sure why your interpretation should be seen as any more or less correct than mine. You honestly think I would be so stupid as to be actively involved in exactly this sort of thing without first checking that I'm not going to have the cops pounding on my door and dragging me off to jail? What's wrong with you?

cyberwiz said:
Don’t you get it? What does it suggest if the code doesn’t belong to any country? call’s are coming in from legal gateways? Even if you get a genuine country code there is no guarantee that the call is from a legal gateway.

No, there isn't. But the legality of the gateway is determined by the country of it's presence, not India. If the gateway is legal in Singapore (for example) but not India, and the gateway itself is in Singapore, then there is NOTHING that the Indian government can do. If they could, then the DoT should be busy raiding every data centre in Europe, every data centre in the US, most data centres in the rest of Asia... and so on. Because the vast majority of them probably have some form of VOIP gateway running.

cyberwiz said:
Well you don’t appear to be listening to the guru. Talk to the authorities, they will throw more light on your understanding

If regurgitating what he said means I wasn't listening, then... I hate to think of what your definition of listening is. For a lot of people in this country it seems to be "making shit up on the spot" (like that my laptop consumes 600W of power - not relevant to this discussion but something someone **actually said** to me recently, just to give you an example).

cyberwiz said:
There are no KEYS here, the KEYS are being generated by you because its something that you want to do. Even if a VoIP operator is doing this its illegal as far as the present ISP license is concerned. Fact that the operator is outside India and not obliged to take a license doesnt mean it can happily provide a service that its Indian counterparts are prohibited from providing and call it legal on top of that. Don’t you get the distinction?

No, the KEYS are being generated by me to point out to you blatant facts.

If an operator outside of India (using the example of Singapore) provides a service which is legal in Singapore, then yes, it can be called legal. It has no reason to give even half a toss about what the Indian government thinks or wants because it's not operating *in India*. If that operator buys access to PSTN lines from Singapore to India, then that is also legal because the traffic entering India was PSTN traffic, NOT VOIP traffic (the VOIP changeover would have been done in Singapore, no matter the actual origin of the traffic).

Different countries have different laws. We aren't at a one-world-one-law situation just yet, and one of the only real universal crimes seems to be murder - but even that's not taken too seriously in some places. Countries still have borders, and the people on either side of those borders are only bound to the laws which apply on their side of the border.

Taking another Netherlands example: if I smoke weed in Amsterdam (where it's legal) and then go to London (where it's not), I can't be prosecuted in England for having smoked weed in Amsterdam, even though I may still be carrying with me remnants of THC in my system. Or if I have sex with a 16 year old in Toronto (where it's legal) and then we both go over the border to New York (where the age of consent is 17), I can't be prosecuted in New York unless I again do it there. (Yes, I'm sure there are other "offenses" I could use as examples but these seemed simplest).

In all cases, the acts were done in jurisdictions where these activities are legal and as such are not of any concern to authorities anywhere else UNLESS those acts are done in the jurisdictions where these activities are not legal.

cyberwiz said:
Phew ! Another one of your hypothetical inventions! where are the skypeIn numbers in India?

I've been trying to explain to you that this isn't possible for the exact reason that handovers are not legal *in* India, nor are the delegation of e.164 compliant numbers. Please read the license (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:WOzbfEq7CBUJ:www.dot.gov.in/isp/internet-licence-dated%252016-10-2007.pdf+&hl=en&gl=in&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESik5Kr0FN2AkdTLcJP5rWF2GYecNSXCce1XS_WytrUjfHGCxu_vHTUUSsOWlcbijnWHu8MMWgMndVwf_A-3JYPQpNfC2Vdua-EwO69PBB-ue0dP7PZAvZVOvu8u807r0KlRtJ4m&sig=AHIEtbRWE_mkD4rzluLhSNj-KppNMifA_w pages 9 & 10).

I can not legally +91 because those are Indian numbers, presided over by Indian authorities, but I can legally offer telephone numbers with +1 +64 +65 etc etc because authorities in those countries allow it and they are not subject to intervention by or the authority of the government of India. Those country codes are presided over by the authorities in those respective countries. Period.

JainIndia said:
magicjack is legal in India i have used it for long.
I got mine from saferays.com and so far i don't have any problem whit it.
I have heard that they are coming up whit a new type of magicJack son and are looking forward to it

Use of MagicJack is covered by the ISP license under section 2.2 ii c.

hellobhainet said:
Hi,
VoIP Now legal in India if a VoIP service provider has a licensed then Indian internet telephony service provider is absolutely legal.
Rather than WALL OF TEXT with tangentially related content this answers gives to the POINT..... thanks
now this is clear... can any one tell me how can i use the voip directly from phone to phone from out of india ??? i.e. google voice kinda service..

guyaborad said:
Rather than WALL OF TEXT with tangentially related content this answers gives to the POINT..... thanks
now this is clear... can any one tell me how can i use the voip directly from phone to phone from out of india ??? i.e. google voice kinda service..
For that you need static ip or dyndns. you can dial ip address from ip phone.

OK
Lets have some technical aspects clear here
1. VoIP is Legal in India .It is Legal under 2 licenses only Pan India 4g License ,and additional 1628 Crores to provide voice services on top of that
Keep in mind this is for a broadband spectrum license holders only
2. Voip has been made legal in india in 2010 itself with many restrictions to local landline or fixed line users only ( DInt include legalisation for GSM )
Now anyone who has a Pan India license for 4g ,gets a chance to pay 1628 cr rupees and take up the voice services on that spectrum .
People did not opt for that prices in 2010 and went for only 30 Lakhs fee to offer services on the VOIP draft of 2010 ( again restricted use with clauses to fixed lines only )
Government has still not cleared the license availability for a full UL( Unified License ) spectrum ,which indeed will come end of year due to reliance 4g and voice roll out
Now talking about VOIP
- VOIP and IT Telephony are 2 different things all together
Voip will aloow you to trunk to local loop ( PSTN) and GSM providers
IT Telephony is pure ip based ( PC to PC ) ,or i would say end point to end point calls.
Any SIP Traffic ( standard used for VOIP trunking and interproperiability ) today ,orignating from a UA( End device ,gateway,SBC etc ) if passes through a India telecom provider destined for a Indian Telecom provider will be blocked ( and is illegal to provide aswell ) unless authorized by government .The government indeed charges a hefty amount from the service provider /anum for minutes passed through a SIP based trunk within india.
Any traffic processed outside of India is Legal with no charges at all
But there is no point of using VOIP if it cannot cut your cost .The reason i say it will not cut cost is because first any VOIP provider who says to offer you a indian minutes will be paying the normal ISDN Charges to the local india providers ( no SIP trunks in India to Local India ITSP/Telecom ) Providers.
Indeed its way much better to use your Landlines to call india numbers directly ,than go outside and come back though different gateways outside.
First your provider will be paying Sip Trunk Minutes Locally to whosoever he has purchased trunks from ( USA --Level3 AT&T etc ) ,and then to India Providers.
And all of the above you will not get a India Number also
I hope the above helps a lot .
This isnt as easy as we think ,its way more complicated than it is
I have many more things to clear ,just post me any of your VOIP related queries

Thanks
Ketan Mangal
Lead architect SIP Deployment and Design
ACME Packet Certified
Sonus 1000 Certified

Hello, VoIP is legal inside India but VoIP gateway is illegal inside India. When we use PCs to make a VoIP call to any number,but if the remote side is a normal phone, the gateway that converts the VoIP call to a POTS call is not permitted by law to be inside India.

Passing 24 to 48 pstn line through channel bank era gone. We used to do that 10 years ago. Voip was new at that time and our babus were clueless. You must have heard in past that illegal telephone exchange caught in newspaper. 😛 hefty fees by trai makes impossible to do this business now.