Switching Off Cpe (modem) In 590 Nu Package

• Thread starter Thread starter anilsaxena
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,664

anilsaxena

ISP
mtnl
I hope that all users of 590 NU package are aware, that free night downloading needs switching off modem after midnight and restarting, and same before eight o'clock morning.Can somebody suggest an economical way of doing this automatically (at least the midnight part). Anil

You should search the forum before starting a topic.

QUOTE((S)aint @ Sep 14 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]62202[/snapback]
[/b]

I am really sorry. I am a newbie and not very technical savvy, and i am 58 years old.
But these are no excuses. i will be careful in future.
Anil

Hats off to you.....I never imagined a 58 year old downloading stuff after midnight. You're one of us now 🙂

Correct yourself Sir! 58 not 52. And what did I ultimately do ? Did not tinker with setting of my modem (or do they call them router ? what ever it is.) Bought a cheap chinese timer from Bhagrath Place, Delhi for Rs.300. And using it.

Good for you....but you could have done it for free.All the tinkering mentioned on this forum is usually tested.We've been at this from a very long time. 😀

QUOTE((S)aint @ Sep 14 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]62202[/snapback]
[/b]

1. Your advice was very worthwhile. As I have already written that I am a 58 year old newbie without much tecnical knowledge (as all you younger ones will call "geek"). For many a days I could not muster courage to do the tinkering with modem, fearing that it may result in a "crash" or some other unforeseen problem. In the meantime I bought a timer for Rs.275/-, which was doing the job pretty well. But on an urge, today I fearfully tried it (solution given in topic "nocap" in forum), and it worked. What a good idea (again as all you younger ones will call it "cool"). I wish I tried it before buying the timer and saved Rs.(as all you younger ones will call "bucks") 275/-. Never mind. I can use the timer somewhere else or sell it to some one who needs (as all you younger ones will call a "sucker") it.

2. Any ideas, how to synchronize MTNL's clock with my PC's clock, so that 12 Oclock midnight and 8 AM occurs at the same time at both places together.

Anil

if i were you then i would have started at 12:15 and disconnected at 7:45 ..Does it smells safe?

QUOTE(humtum @ Sep 23 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]63091[/snapback]
if i were you then i would have started at 12:15 and disconnected at 7:45 ..Does it smells safe?
[/b]

Safe ? Yes
Intelligent ? No.

Anil

QUOTE(anilsaxena @ Sep 23 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]63094[/snapback]
Safe ? Yes
Intelligent ? No.

Anil
[/b]
and I thought I at 28 was crazy about downloading.

I donno why but reading at the posts of Mr.anilsaxena I feel that he is bluffing about his age...

But if he is really 58 then good going Sir!

I don't feel so....somehow...
QUOTE(anilsaxena @ Sep 23 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]63090[/snapback]
as all you younger ones will call
[/b]
This bit was really funny....

QUOTE(imranais @ Sep 24 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]63130[/snapback]
I donno why but reading at the posts of Mr.anilsaxena I feel that he is bluffing about his age...

But if he is really 58 then good going Sir!
[/b]

Hey Imran Bhai,
How dare you doubt my statement about my age. Sir, I was borned on 30-12-1948 (If you give me your email address I shall send you copy of my birth certificate 🙂 ). It is just another thing that I still think like younger people. Computers are my hobby and there is no age bar for that. My both children are settled in their things (both live abroad). Movies are therefore a pastime for me and my wife. And going for movies in movie halls can be quite a burden on pocket (in Delhi the cheapest tickets are 125/- or so) and with terrorist targetting movie halls, one is not inclined to go there. So instead of getting VCD/DVD on rent, I just download movies. I have given thought to legality / morality issue in downloading movies from web, and I have my own views on it, which I will not write here.
Thinking and behaving like younger ones can be sometimes embarassing. People think you are phoney and perhaps outright cranky, but then one has to pay for good things in life. People of my age when meet, talk about their diabetes, blood pressure, children (particularly the daughter-in-law) not behaving properly and world at large not being unfair to them (how many times you have heard "Zamana bahut kharab ho gaya hai" (the world is doomed) from people in their fifties). So when I ask younger geeks whether I can use a Linksys PAP-2T ATA on Skype or when I want to discuss whether a bluetooth headset can be configured for Yahho voice, people think that "buddha satak gaya hai". Irony of life. When you are young and have desires, many a times you do not have money to pursue your desires. And by the time money comes, desires are gone. I want to beat this phenomena. And unfortunately I had an unhappy childhood. So I have to compensate for that also.
Pray for my long life and with best wishes for all young "geeks". "Kya kool hain hum".
Anil