Zee DishTV truHD PLUS launched - PVR with external HDD at no extra cost!

• Thread starter Thread starter agantuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 17,533
Yea...its kinda weird.. You can record up to 50 mins..then you have to start a new session of 50 mins and on and on...but that can be done using a option called "My schedule recordings"Its a fair deal...at least for the existing customers...@narshiv..i think we are not talking about hi tech recording...lets be modest..only few present here may think of recording stuffs and releasing it in the internet like a DVDRip or something... 😕We are just talking on a small scale...You know like if i had some work to finish off...so I'll just record it..and then after i finish my work, i can watch it..or may be later...I dunno what others are thinking...i get Recording Services for one time 300 Rs..SOUNDS FAIR TO ME.. 😕

50 mins ceiling can be annoying, if u want to record movies, or shows which last for an hour or more.

50 mins ceiling can be annoying, if u want to record movies, or shows which last for an hour or more.
Yea..you can make schedules for that...!!
Like if its a 1 hour show..it starts at 8..then i'l make a recording scedule at 8 and then another recording at 8.50...but the 2nd recording will be for 20 mins... 😕
2 RECORDING SCHEDULES....1 FOR 50 MINS AT 8...2ND FOR 20 MINS AT 8.50...

Of all the disadvantages mentioned, the only ones which I think are deal breakers are the 50 minute limitation and the inability to record a series. These are 2 things that are almost taken for granted while dealing with DVRs. The good part though is these are software based limitations which can be done away with an upgrade. I don't quite think the external HDD thing is a disadvantage, if any, it is a major advantage. I record length programs in HD on my TS+, but then have to keep deleting them every often so I can make space for the other programs. While it might sound 'logical', it does take away some of the charm if I am forced to watch the content when I need to record other content, as opposed to when I really want to watch it.

Dish Tv is positioning its Dish Tv recorder Dish TruHD+ as a good cost effective product in the DVR category, the truth is very different. The concept of having ........

...........all these factors before thinking of buying it.

Nice review by you. Actually they are right in few manner about cost of DVR. They dont provide External / Internal HDD it means they minus it's cost from DVR price. Its depend on customer with which capacity of external drive they want to continue somewhere its good option for customers. U r right that it should be always attatch to the box if any customer keep any recording safe. If customer replace / deattach plugged drive all recording will be useless & cant reaccess in the future. Thats also demerit.

----------

So is it compulsory to have flash based drives attached?? If not then it looks quite good.....i mean u spend 3k and u get to record lots of stuff, and may be even connect it to ur PC to extract the recorded stuff! Another thing i want to know is the 50 mins thing....i didnt get that!

I didnt get you clearly but unlimited recording means it depend on customer with which size they use for HDD recording. Its their choice it called unlimited recording. Other disspointed thing is u cant play recording except same box which u recorded content from. You cant remove drive otherwise u lost all recordings. The box always format when you attach any drive newly to the box. Means u can just once attach drive to the box & content can be available whenever u dont remove the drive.

----------

What is issue 50 minutes? Doesnt it depend on customer's choice? Clear it plz. Thanks.

----------

Yea..you can make schedules for that...!!
Like if its a 1 hour show..it starts at 8..then i'l make a recording scedule at 8 and then another recording at 8.50...but the 2nd recording will be for 20 mins... 😕
2 RECORDING SCHEDULES....1 FOR 50 MINS AT 8...2ND FOR 20 MINS AT 8.50...

You mean dual recording is available right?

Nice review by you. Actually they are right in few manner about cost of DVR. They dont provide External / Internal HDD it means they minus it's cost from DVR price. Its depend on customer with which capacity of external drive they want to continue somewhere its good option for customers. U r right that it should be always attatch to the box if any customer keep any recording safe. If customer replace / deattach plugged drive all recording will be useless & cant reaccess in the future. Thats also demerit.

----------

I didnt get you clearly but unlimited recording means it depend on customer with which size they use for HDD recording. Its their choice it called unlimited recording. Other disspointed thing is u cant play recording except same box which u recorded content from. You cant remove drive otherwise u lost all recordings. The box always format when you attach any drive newly to the box. Means u can just once attach drive to the box & content can be available whenever u dont remove the drive.

----------

What is issue 50 minutes? Doesnt it depend on customer's choice? Clear it plz. Thanks.

----------

You mean dual recording is available right?

I just hope, from all of this, the makers of this product has nudge others (DTH Service Providers) to come up with something similar product & they may just look to better the consumer experience, Hope, Hope, Hope

Sabir

Ok..just enabled the service..ordered the remote now..will get it in 4-5 days...!!Some clarification on the info provided....One of the CC guys told me that...50 mins is actually a feature..but not a limitation on recording as long as drive is Hot in its USB port....!! 🙂50 mins is like a time oriented recording....like if you want only 50 mins of recording to be done...!!And ow yea....SD recording 1GB=50 minsHD recording 1GB=20 minsMin. 2 GB of drive should be connected....if you remove the drive..then you will loose your recordings....its like a dedicated slot....and max 2TB drive can be connected...!!As some one suggested...that loss of data when taking your pendrive off...is indeed a disadvantage....on the contrary..lets not forget the fact that its a firm issue....Will post the review as soon as i get it... 🙂

looking at the high prices of hard disks, this was a smart move. 🙂

im not gonna release some RiPs out of that recording anyways...so its just a matter of one time 300 bucks...not a biggie... 😀
i have a 32 GB Pen drive.....which is just lying in my desk...why not give it some use...!! :/

I just hope, from all of this, the makers of this product has nudge others (DTH Service Providers) to come up with something similar product & they may just look to better the consumer experience, Hope, Hope, Hope

Sabir

I hope for same

The remote hasn't arrived yet....but still used a option called scheduled recording..using regular remote....did some recording of SD as well as HD content...i stand by my comment....300 bucks not a biggie....i would suggest enabling the service for regular users...But would not suggest buying a new TruHD+ connection...who are planning to...just wait for some more time 😀The picturre and audio quality remains the same....but you have to use a dedicated drive for recording purposes...Decent move by DishTV ,considering for small scale purposes...still not the best though..i hope they bring new features in their next firm upgrade... 😀

Guys, I have 3 DishTV STBs in Parent Child configuration. I ordered the DVR remote for the parent HD STB and also activated DVR on my Child STB. I am able to record a channel on the Child STB and watch another channel on it, provided I have changed to the other channel before my recording has started on it. Once the recording has started, if you change the channel, it will terminate the recording. Kind of flaky, but this is how it currently works.Also i recorded the Grammys (>2 hrs). So people reporting here that only 50 minutes is possible is incorrect.Now the interesting bit, on the parent STB, I am unable to record a different channel, while watching another. It will automatically jump to the channel that is being recorded... wierd...

The remote hasn't arrived yet....
but still used a option called scheduled recording..using regular remote....
did some recording of SD as well as HD content...i stand by my comment....300 bucks not a biggie....i would suggest enabling the service for regular users...
But would not suggest buying a new TruHD+ connection...who are planning to...just wait for some more time 😀
The picturre and audio quality remains the same....but you have to use a dedicated drive for recording purposes...Decent move by DishTV ,considering for small scale purposes...still not the best though..i hope they bring new features in their next firm upgrade... 😀

Hi,

Please clarify the following :

1)For existing Dish TV HD customers,only a remote costing Rs 300 is required for HD recording ?
2)I ask again,Isn't a new HD recorder STB needed for Dish Tru HD or will the existing Dish HD STB be converted to a Recorder ?
3)How did you manage to record using the existing HD STB ?I mean the procedure ?
4)How will the HD Remote or other hardware be sent by Dish TV,via post ?

I am an existing Dish TV HD customer and my software has been upgraded with Record features.

Thanks

OK,I have bought this DishTru HD Remote for Rs 300 and it can record on the pen drive.But one can use this pen drive on the DishTv HD STB to watch the recording on the TV only and not on any other gadget like laptop,desk top etc.If some one wants to use the same pen drive which was used to record DishTru HD channels on the laptop will have to format it first.

The service is worth one time 300 bucks..that's all i can say !!
I've been using the service for a while...
I do agree there are some bugs...but wouldn't mind...because those are just firmware issues!! which can be Fixed anytime...

----------

The service is worth one time 300 bucks..that's all i can say !!
I've been using the service for a while...
I do agree there are some bugs...but wouldn't mind...because those are just firmware issues!! which can be Fixed anytime...