ACT Broadband pros and cons

• Thread starter Thread starter phani_genin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 11,214

phani_genin

ISP
ACT
Hi All,just want to discuss the good - worst of the ACT experience in Bangalore.Good 1) Yes, they take the installation fee very promptly, they are on advertising spree so their Sales guys are really quick.2) i have taken the highest plan Double Premium which is 5mbps for now. The BB is available on 'their' side. more details below.Now comes the crappy part1) These guys have a concept of HTT box ( need like the traditional router for other ISPs ) which is shared across the customers, and this is not discussed during installation at all. So you would notice that you are at the 'mercy' of the customer who is supplying power to the HTT box, i,e if cust1 has taken a limited, low end plan he would use only for 10-30 mins in a day and ALL other guys sharing HTT are left with NO BROADBAND. This even if bb is good on ACT side.2) I escalated this since 2nd day, since it was easy to notice, my bb being available only for a small window. The technical person then informed me of this cliche with HTT , but sadly has been 1month i keep calling twice a day. The CC is a local number working only in day time they always assure you - Today or Tomorrow.But nothing happens.3) They have generated a bill durign this period too, and dispatched it 13th Jan night time. And they do expect someone to be paying it before 15thJan !!!The bottomline is , yes BB is cheap compared to others ( that was my initial reason ) but the availability has SERIOUS issues. You are to be at the mercy of other customers. I am now going to visit the nearest office address and check out what the Contact has to say about this pain i have been through. Btw i am no spam 😛 Customer ID 161061 for ACT in Indiranagar. Another ISP has offered to give me 30% off on their existing plan for 3 months as retention policy. Guess i will not wait until 3 months for ACT to respond to this.Will keep you guys posted,thanks,phani

Offer to host the box yourself, or ask the society to provide a place where it can have power and be free of tampering - like the electricity closet.

yeah i met the deployment manager today, they were very receptive to the discussion i had. Yes i had always offered to host the box my self. But i never know what stops them to shift it. I am told there are too many new user requests ( i do agree 😀 ) and so people are busy with them. I got assurance that it will be shifted today, so let us wait and see. But i am informed, that the speed for my plan 5mbps/1299 upgraded to 10MBps which is great news ! let us see how the support works for today.

just to update on you guys, the Speed indeed has touched higher 9MBps - 10 MBps marks. From the days of paying 1500 bucks for Reliance 256kbps to now where i pay 1200 for 10Mbps 🙂 lol good for ACT, catching up on all other ISPs

HI Phani, Am Deepu Network engineer in Indiranagar. i have meet phani one of my customer today morning who was having a word with my head for the issue he is facing everday and it have been confirmed by head today it ll be done today and that work have been assigned to my team.We have completed the work in front of the customer.

just to update on you guys, the Speed indeed has touched higher 9MBps - 10 MBps marks. From the days of paying 1500 bucks for Reliance 256kbps to now where i pay 1200 for 10Mbps 🙂 lol good for ACT, catching up on all other ISPs
Why dont u paste speedtest.net results here? Please we want to see it

hi Deepu, yes that was me ! thanks for the immediate response. Appreciate it. I was discussing with your field engineers on this drawback, it seems the person who had box installed prevously had vacated, and so the original owner was playing mischief with the power switch. This is now shifted to my place, except this power issue i didnt have any issues. If you are in an apartment setting, its easy to get common power but otherwise it can be such pain. Anyways, the box also comes with a Battery backup of 4Hrs.

i will spread the word for ACT, have already done so to my colleagues to try it out.
As for speed, sure its avg 10, lingering between 9.8 - 10.2 speedtest fails at the uploading part, so i am not able to paste it here. Do you guys know any better place to check the speed for benefit of others here.

----------

http://www.pingtest.net/result/54514172.png

hey Deepu, yes it was me and the box is shifted to my place now. I guess this is the only concern i see with ACT else everything is well. Infact the box contains a battery in its cabinet, so it is to provide 4 hrs backup in case of power off.

As far as speeds are concerned, i am getting dloads ~ 10mbps , but the speedtest fails in the upload stage. so i wont be able to give a snapshot of dl speed. 🙁

----------

@justatroll i dont think they are present in pune, chennai. They are in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Nellore as i know. You can checkout their website for more details actualy.

is there a way i can attach screenshots ? the pingtest gives quality of the connection which is pretty good as it shows. But as i say all Dl tests also do upload tests, and upload test fails so thrs no possible way to giv u guys a good snapshot.If i can attach a pic, i can take snapshot of DL test only, and attach. I am indeed getting avg torrent speed 1MBps + 😀