Ported to Airtel postpaid. a few queries

gadgetcrazy

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 2Mbps NU
I have just ported from reliance to Airtel postpaid. I am seeking a few clarifications and will be glad if anyone can help.

1. I am looking for a decent data plan. Since 3g plans are pretty expensive, I would settle for GPRS. I have been told by the CC that the minimum monthly charges for a data plan are 198. I was under the impression that there was a 98/99 Rs 2gb plan for postpaid also. As per Airtel Best Value Offers & Plan there is still a 1 GB data plan. However, CC people say it has been discontinued, Can someone confirm/ refute?

2. Anyone has an idea about NOP (net on phone) data plan. It is 149 for unlimited usage. I am ok with just using it on the phones but are the speeds as good as the regular GPRS plans? Will all the applications that require data work well with it?

3. I am also looking for a SMS pack, mostly for local usage. Any suggestions?

4. Can I not forward calls from an Airtel number (prepaid) to a CDMA number?

1) To get 1GB(which was 2GB earlier) 2G plan, send the sms INTERNET to 121 and follow the instructions.2) I am not sure net on phone plan is still there or not. It was costing 149/week. Speeds are 2G speeds.3) Don't know4) You can fwd airtel calls to only airtel numbers and not other operator

When I send INTERNET to 121, I get a reply "Thank you for your request to activate internet pack. You will be charged Rs 198 per month....NOP is 149/ month or per week?

When I send INTERNET to 121, I get a reply "Thank you for your request to activate internet pack. You will be charged Rs 198 per month....
Yes you have to reply with Yes and follow the instructions that you get in SMSes

NOP is 149/ month or per week?
That is an unlimited 2G. It is 149/week

----------

Oops just saw that you have mentioned Rs198 and not 98... Looks like they change changed the pricing recently!

I have heard from friends using airtel that they have discontinued the 98 pack and instead the minimum pack is 198 pack. I guess that is why they replied with 198 pack when you sent "internet"It's a pity that postpaid users get stepmotherly treatment compared to the prepaid users. (I'm on tatadocomo postpaid with GPRS 2GB@Rs. 50 pack. anytime cheaper and stable internet than vodafone or airtel)

you did biggest mistake switching to airtel. off late Airtel is cribbing with many account and network related problems. better join uncongested and established operator like AIRCEL or may be TATA DOCOMO. their network offers congestion free experiance

I have 3 months to judge them. I was left with little choice because I do not get good network with any other operator at my workplace.