Samsung selling GT-I9100G as GT-I9100 in India (crappier hardware version of Galaxy S II)

aviral sangal

Senior
ISP
Tikona
I recently purchased samsung Galaxy S2 from sulekha.com for 28,442. As anyone would see that model name specified is galaxy s2 and the product delivered is galaxy s2 as box says and the seal is intact you will think that dealer job is finished there.
The box says its GT-I9100. The slip on the side where the IMEI is mentioned has some code for the model number. Fine with that. No consumer can decode it.
Box was sealed when i received. I opened the box and started the phone. I saw GT-I9100G on the startup screen. I ignored it initially.
When downloaded some stuff and checked for stock rom i found that roms are different for GT-I9100 and GT-I9100G. I tried rooting the phone but faced huge problems. Then i started digging up the XDA forum for the GT-I9100G. I found out that samsung has pushed a new model with lowering the hardware of the phone. Check the first post HERE. They have changed processor, GPU, chipset or you can say they have changed the whole handset.
People say that there was shortage on GT-I9100 parts so they pushed this new model without letting consumer know.

Now my point is if you are selling a different product(as it has entirely different hardware) they how can they still print GT-I9100 on the box??
It is a clear case of cheating on the part of samsung. Box says (GT-I9100) handset says (GT-I9100G).

Please refer Model comparison here

I9100LKGINU- I9100G
I9100LKAINU- I9100

How can a normal user decode these codes?

Current Status: I have roped in akosha to take up my case to higher authorities in samsung and phone is in service center for mobo replacement since 3rd Jan 2012, they say they have replaced mobo but are not able to transfer IMEI so now they will investigate and would inform me on 10th Jan 2012 to whats gonna be a solution if any.

UPDATE: Cheque is ready and will collect from service center on 27th

Can anyone share their experience with akosha if any???

They seem to be doing this in India only. In other countries like Vietnam,Malaysia they seem to have clearly marked i9100G on the box. This is definitely wrong on their part.

Here is an update...I am sending a legal notice to samsung today as their top exec did not revert back.
So many lawsuits from Apple around the world haven't made Samsung blink!!! You seriously think they will bother with your legal notice?
However your cause is well justified. What Samsung does in this case is blatant cheating.
Your aim i suppose is to get GT-I9100G replaced with original GT-I9100 from Samsung.
If you are in the mood to fight on and have the energy, i suggest you also lodge a complaint with Competition Commission of India against Samsung for unfair trade practice and mention the threat of doing the same to Samsung.
This may have a better effect on them as such complaints then tend to get publicized in Media and bad PR for them.

Even if they wont care they will have to cough up huge fine and compensation for such an act.More over as i have mentioned in first post, I have roped in akosha for the case. Today legal notice is sent where it is mentioned refund/replacement with Rs10K as compensation. If they wont fulfill it, social media campaign will be launched and will also be sent to to electronic media.Still they dont budge consumer court case. A case can only be filled after a notice is served for 15days.

Update: Top Mgmt stepped in and agreed for full refund. I have done the necessary paper work too....They say i will get the cheque in a week.

On FB someone who faced similar issue posted this message.
I had same problem with the s2 it had written i9100 but on phone it was i9100g so i contacted samsung nd threatened them a legal notice nd media exposure,the next day they sent me a new Galaxy s 2 (i9100) nd a complimentary 32gb sd card as a gratitude for the problem they caused me,i was pretty happy so buddy good luck wid ur fight,just threaten them of media exposure nd then they will address all ur problems.....

Great!!! U made them bend so quickly! U have taken some really strong steps.Thats the spirit U CONSUMER!!

I was browsing as ghost..I came to just say "Good Luck Buddy!" 🙂And keep us informed. Your action will sure encourage many of us.