Help Building a New Computer

• Thread starter Thread starter snakenobi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 4,954

snakenobi

ISP
hathway
I am building a new computer,please help me build it.I normally only learn about computer hardware when i am buying or upgrading the hardware and then i lose track.So i might not know a few things though i have mentioned all my queries below.I am trying to build a system that would last and as interconnected and wireless as possible.I will be using it for :Video GamesVideo EditingAudio EditingImage EditingDisplay forPC,TV,PS3Heaphones for TV,PC,PS3,Phone(if Headphone are bluetooth)Router for 2 home PC,1 phone,Media Server,PS3,TV(if Display is internet connected)Dual Shock 3 ConnectionVirtual OS operationsHackintosh(So only Intel processors)DLNA - Media Server,Android devices,Apple devicesWireless File and Date Transfer to PC - Android with bluetooth to PCProducts and Technology :CPUProcessor - 4-6 Cores,Overclock SupportMotherboard - PCE-E,USB,SATA,Ethernet,DVI,HDMI 1.4,Display Port,Wi-Fi,Bluetooth,Optical Audio,Integrated Card Support,Overclock Support,multi-GPU supportGPUGraphic Card - Memory,Multiple Display Support,3D Displays,Dual GPU,Resolution 1080p or betterHDD - 2 -3.5tbRAM - 8+gbDisplay - 24 -27inch,Resolution 1080p or more,Contrasts,Colors,DVI,Display Ports,HDMI,Wi-fi,USB,Bluetooth,Speakers,HeadphonesSpeakers - More Channels,Wireless StreamingHeadphones - Noise Cancellation,Microphone,Blue-tooth,Wireless,More Channels,Bluetooth,Battery LifeRouter - Gigabit Ethernet,Wireless standard N.Good Wireless bandwidth,NAS,DLNAHeatsinks and CoolersPower SupplySome Question's from my side :CPU :Xeon gaming and normal apps - How is Xeon on Gaming and Normal PC applications?i7 Extreme Sandy Bridge - Is this required for my usage and will it be worth it?Core i7 First Gen Core systems - So Sandy Bridge Extreme Processors are very expensive but 970 and 980 6 core Westmere CPU's cost only $500.Is that a bargain and Is buying 1 year old processors good?i7 2600K - Will this be enought for me?i5 2500K - Will this be enought for me?Core vs thread - so AMD vs Intel,AMD provides more Cores but Intel does threading.Whats the difference?Duration Without Update - How long each of them will be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?Motherboard :Sound Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of itWi-Fi Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of itBlue-tooth Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of itSATA 3 and PCI-E 3Duration Without Update - How long will this be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?RAM :Channels - How many channels is good?Speed - Whats the difference between different 'mhz'?Duratin Without Update - How long will this be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?GPU:Cores - I read this when checking out Nvidia Cards,they have 100's of cores.What do they mean?Speed - How much is good as in 'hz'?Bandwidth - How much bandwidth is good?Duration Without Update - How long will latest GPU's be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?Display:What Aspect ratio should the Display have as WEB is designed 4:3 and many movies have 21:9 ratio.Do the multidisplays connection to GPU share resolution in output of do they have 2 x resolutions coming out of GPU?Heatsinks and Coolers:Are liquid Coolers really required?Fans vs Liquid Coolers?Are heatsinks required?What all components can and should have heatsinks and cooler?I see them on RAM these daysWireless :Wireless Headphones,Keyboard,Mouse,Router - What does range in 'HZ' meanWill different wireless technologies interfere with each other?Speakers and Headphones - Standard - What do different Standards like dolby,true HD differ?Power Supply - How Many Watts Should my Power Supply be and what all Sockets Should it have?Keyboard - Do i need to my two keyboards? Ergonomic keyboards for typing and SonyApple Wireless keyboard or just one?Mouse - Do i need to my two mouse? Ergonomic mouse for gaming and MicrosoftApple touch mouse or just one?Optical Drive - Should I buy a Blu-ray Drive?Webcam - I Don't Video Chat much and have iPhone as a video chat,should it buy one?Printer - I make alot of notes and i like them clean and formatted but should i go far to buy a printer on do it on paper and phoneTablet or netbook or ultrabook - I have an iphone 64gb and will have a good PC.Is there a need for medium screen portable device?Please Help in the following way:Technology - As in what all tech is needed to make it possible like technical information like cores,wi-fi,pci express,aspect ratio,memory,etcProducts - Products on the market that will make it all possible like Intel,Nvidia,Evga,Asus,Apple,Cisco,etc and their different product lineup's.Suggestions - Suggest what configurations will be good for my usage like xeon,core i extreme,core i7,12gb ram,etc

r u trying to troll ?? u seem to have posted this @ CHIp and a few other sites

Dude! by the time I finished reading the last paragraph..I seriously forgot what's in the first few!

heh! Building a computer is not easy.You need to be real patient, otherwise you would end up getting screwed up.

Dude, all the permutation of the techonology you posted will come upto atleast Rs.1.5K, and I don't think anyone has used such a costly CPU. I have never heard of Xeons being used by ordinary users, most go i5,i7..By the way, only one suggestion I can give you: take care of the UPS/inverter for your system. You're using power hungry graphic cards.. buy a something greater than 1KVA.. 1.5KVA perhaps with > 35Ah sealed lead acid battery

Samm bro..he must be billionaire! I dont think his requirement will cost less than 1.5-2 Lac..Core i7 Extreme it self cost more than 50K!

----------

Dude, all the permutation of the techonology you posted will come upto atleast Rs.1.5K, and I don't think anyone has used such a costly CPU. I have never heard of Xeons being used by ordinary users, most go i5,i7..

By the way, only one suggestion I can give you: take care of the UPS/inverter for your system. You're using power hungry graphic cards.. buy a something greater than 1KVA.. 1.5KVA perhaps with > 35Ah sealed lead acid battery

heh! only Cabinet will cost that much!

Ok I will give you some suggestions because I don't know if you are trolling.1. CPU: Core i5 2500 Reason: There is no need to overclock as even 10-15% overclocks of K editions do nothing to increase GPU heavy frame rates in modern games.2. Motherboard: Pretty much any socket 1155 compatible would do but make sure it has: a) PCI-e 2.0 slot for GPU b) USB 3 support c) Broadcom based ethernet chipset for easy hackintoshd) 4 slots for DDR3 RAMe) UEFI bios3. GPU: AMD HD 6850 or upwards or Nvidia GTX 560 or upwardsTwist in the tale: Do you want to wait for AMD HD 78XX series which is about to enter the market in a month? then wait.4. PSU: Corsair 700W which comes at around Rs. 5000 and do not compromise on this single most important part. -from my personal experience.5. RAM: Any reputed company will do which is compatibleSuggestion: G.Skill RipJaws (Just because the name is cooler)6. Hard Disk: Any manufacturer SATA II 6Gbps. All are equally good and at the same time equally $hit. If you are billionaire, go for SSD.7. Speakers: Any8. Monitor: Any which supports following:a) 1920x1080 resolutionb) Looks sexy with thin bezelc) Supports HDMI input from GPU9. Wireless adapter: If your motherboard doesn't have it onboard, get Atheros PCI wireless N card as it will go well with Hackintosh.10. PC Cabinet/case: Choose the one which you like really. Ask your mom to choose the color if you cannot make up your mind.11. Headphones: Skullcandy Skull Crushers :devil:12. Coolers, LED lights, thermal paste: Not needed unless you like to faff around your system all the time.

Dude, all the permutation of the techonology you posted will come upto atleast Rs.1.5K, and I don't think anyone has used such a costly CPU. I have never heard of Xeons being used by ordinary users, most go i5,i7..

By the way, only one suggestion I can give you: take care of the UPS/inverter for your system. You're using power hungry graphic cards.. buy a something greater than 1KVA.. 1.5KVA perhaps with > 35Ah sealed lead acid battery

the cost if fine

i am building something heavy and costly but thats why i posted the specs and usage above

i am not an ordinary users,just that my hardware knowledge is bad.xeons are for servers but they are the only ones that were powerful enough untill 1-2years ago for smooth video encoding in small time.

snady bridge extreme are very powerful and seem to be as good as xeons except a few things needed for servers but i haven't tested them so i don't know.

i don't really need UPS but will think of it as power outages are very very rare in mumbai.

----------

Samm bro..he must be billionaire! I dont think his requirement will cost less than 1.5-2 Lac..Core i7 Extreme it self cost more than 50K!

----------

heh! only Cabinet will cost that much!

1.5-2lac isn't billionaire money

with the inflation so high,that amount is pretty small and to have a good PC which you get for small amount in US or EUROPE,we pay so high in india.

the purchasing power of the rupee is bad

----------

i7 3930k cost 38,000 in flipkart

Ok I will give you some suggestions because I don't know if you are trolling.

1. CPU: Core i5 2500
Reason: There is no need to overclock as even 10-15% overclocks of K editions do nothing to increase GPU heavy frame rates in modern games.

3. GPU: AMD HD 6850 or upwards or Nvidia GTX 560 or upwards
Twist in the tale: Do you want to wait for AMD HD 78XX series which is about to enter the market in a month? then wait.

4. PSU: Corsair 700W which comes at around Rs. 5000 and do not compromise on this single most important part.
-from my personal experience.

5. RAM: Any reputed company will do which is compatible
Suggestion: G.Skill RipJaws (Just because the name is cooler)

6. Hard Disk: Any manufacturer SATA II 6Gbps. All are equally good and at the same time equally $hit. If you are billionaire, go for SSD.

7. Speakers: Any

10. PC Cabinet/case: Choose the one which you like really. Ask your mom to choose the color if you cannot make up your mind.

11. Headphones: Skullcandy Skull Crushers :devil:

12. Coolers, LED lights, thermal paste: Not needed unless you like to faff around your system all the time.

1)wouldn't video editing be slow?

6)how much ram,i am getting 8-12gb's but is that enough for video editing?

7)SSD's are pretty small and i need something like 3tb

and i have heard reports of SSD's failing so i may stick to HDD

i may use the Intel SRT technology though

11)
aren't they wired?

i want something wireless

where can i buy these things?

i live in mumbai,i have searched lamigton road,i found the technicle parts but i didn't find a few things like good cases and displays

i would like to see the displays before buying

suggest me some sites that sell in india or specific seller,theyb would be of huge help.

and cases of good design and colour design is just not taken important in the lamigton road shops i visited,they offer ugly cases

you use the SSD for your primary drive where the operating system and applications resides. you use regular HDDs for where your data is stored.

I think for Display, for the kind of use u have mentioned, u shud go for a full-fledged TV only.....a 40 odd incher LED wud be a great deal. U seem to b having a huge pocket, so i guess u shud spend these few bucks extra & get a TV instead of a monitor!

you use the SSD for your primary drive where the operating system and applications resides. you use regular HDDs for where your data is stored.

I install alot of apps like adobe creative suite,full games which take

and for some reason i don't like something that would limit in the future or might have to have 2-3 drives which i really don't like.i like all in one place kind of things

i will upgrade to SSD's when they have atleast 1TB

relying on a single drive for everything is a bad idea. and having a ssd for primary drive and using other drives for storing data is a better idea. a large 1/2/3TB drive for your windows is not going to give the best performance. in any case, i have given my views. rest depends upon you.