What is the minimum speed everyone must get?

• Thread starter Thread starter dragonball
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 5,765
the MINIMUM speed will be as per what 80% broadband customers like. and Indian customers maximum of them are more than satisfied with 256kbps.Its not the fault of the companies.

As long as we're speculating on what SHOULD be the minimum speed, I wish that it should be close to the line speed.

I' m always getting min 512 Kbps and my monthly download/upload counter more then 100 GB.699/- pm

The problem is that internet is almost unusable at 256kbps, even non-streaming sites open slowly at that speed.

the MINIMUM speed will be as per what 80% broadband customers like. and Indian customers maximum of them are more than satisfied with 256kbps.Its not the fault of the companies.
SATISFIED! where did you get that from? I think 256 is almost a 2G EGPRS speed, and here in kolkata each bb plan below rs750/- ; introduced by BSNL(they call it National Internet Backbone!!!!) is average 256kbps. But satisfication of broadband(call it pseudo broadband) customers still is a myth.

Mobile internet is altogether different things..but..

If we really want our computer to believe and behave like it is connected to some kind of network(internet) then we should atleast have 1 mbps or else we need to control our emotions about internet and stay away!

no fup on my plan...

----------

Normal Upload speed is 512kbps , after FUP its 256kbps.

airtel minimum speed is 512 Kbps even plan shown after fup its 256 Kbps...

thanks to few of the true isp's like Beam a lot of indians are turning into uploaders and giving back to the community. Kudos for that 🙂

recently Airtel fooled customer, they Downgraded Monthly cap from 25GB to 10GB for 1/2Mbps speed.i think so called TRAI policy is not working to protect customers. when i asked Airtel, they said as per TRAI policy they can change Plans after 6 months. where it only talks about speed increase but not monthly capping (leading to misuse in the name of FUP)i dont believe keeping min speed works, as the connection is shared pipe.so i asked them to restore my old plan of 25GB with 1Mbps (day) 2 Mbps (night) - but they denied. can we complain to TRAI against such policy of reducing monthly volume usage?

thanks to few of the true isp's like Beam a lot of indians are turning into uploaders and giving back to the community. Kudos for that 🙂

^ my upload stat for some old torrent.

Yes. beam's awesome. ..no cap on upload speed even if FUP limit is reached.

Imagine if whole of india would get these kind of speeds. ..all torrents would download at top speed 🙂

^^^ Dude?

Do you buy something or you just torrent everything? :sleeping:
The only thing i ever bought is an anti virus suite called "K-7 anti virus" before i discovered the internet.

1Mbps would be Enough for General Browsing (i.e)For Checking mails, Facebook and 360p youtube. what about 1080p Video streaming?

6mbit/s is enough, 10+mbit/s is better.

Haha 2 mbps by 2015 when the world would be having 1 Gbps as standard. lol

Sadly, the rest of the world isn't that quick to adopt either. Many countries are still using the same technology (DSL) - the main thing to take in to consideration is 1. How effectively it's being used (as in, where is the DSLAM in relation to the user - is the copper loop a long one or a short one?) and 2. How well the ISP manages it's internal network and implements enough caching and whatnot.

Wont make any difference. When 2 mbps becomes the standard, BB companies will simply stop calling it "broadband" and simply term it "high" speed internet.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

This is India... what do you expect. The Telecom Policy 2011 which was suppose to be implemented in 2011 would now be implemented after Mid June 2012.

Worse than that: it's actually from 2010.

Rest assured you won't get 2Mbps in 2015. It would definitely be delayed more by another 1-2 years...

Now that this has passed, it's valid for at least the next 5 years before they will review it (unless it is deemed otherwise necessary). I am of the personal opinion that telcos should look at what the government wants for 2017 and start building/implementing those services NOW, rather than waiting until they absolutely have to.

As long as we're speculating on what SHOULD be the minimum speed, I wish that it should be close to the line speed.

The line speed of the vast majority of customers is in fact sufficient - many DSL users lines easily sync at 4-12mbit/s depending on the equipment the ISP has installed. A lot of the issues I'm seeing is insufficient or badly implemented caching and routing policies.

BSNL is a HUGE culprit of bad routing policies - they only advertise certain IP blocks on certain links, so in the case of, for example, NIXI, it ensures that they keep an approximate balance and thus NIXI doesn't cost them much money (and for those who peer privately, we will have to pay through the nose for it and buy domestic capacity from them). Ideally, we *SHOULD* have AT LEAST 10Gbit/s peering link with BSNL, we'll probably get ONLY 155mbit/s because of this. They're not the only ones doing things like this, but as the biggest they stand out the most and have the largest effect.

I' m always getting min 512 Kbps and my monthly download/upload counter more then 100 GB.

699/- pm

I won't brag.

Yes. beam's awesome. ..no cap on upload speed even if FUP limit is reached.

Imagine if whole of india would get these kind of speeds. ..all torrents would download at top speed 🙂

I for one can not wait until my visions are realized.