WhatsApp Updates

AbhishekMSharma

Regulars
Jul 11, 2011
Mumbai, India
I have recently installed WhatsApp on my mother's phone. I have a doubt, and hoping that someone clears it.In her list of favorites, she has 70 contacts. Out of them, 5-6 are some unwanted guys like the manager of a Nokia Priority Store, the owner of an electronics shop, etc.My mother has their numbers, but they don't have my mother's number.Now that my mom uses WhatsApp and has them on her favorites list, will she be automatically added to their list and will they also be able to see her number?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
from what i see. people having my numbers have me in their whatsapp list but they do not get automatically added to mine. i got a message from a mobile number on holi. i had to ping back asking who the person was. got a response that it was kalpik. i added his number to his name in my contacts list. so your mom's number would not be shared. only people who are on your contacts list are shown in your whatsapp list.all that said. whatsapp is supposed to have tons of vulnerabilities so if privacy is your primary concern... there could be other issues. but your number getting shared with people is probably not one of them.

Nishant

::IBF Addict::
Regulars
Jul 15, 2009
Ulhasnagar, MH
I have recently installed WhatsApp on my mother's phone. I have a doubt, and hoping that someone clears it.

In her list of favorites, she has 70 contacts. Out of them, 5-6 are some unwanted guys like the manager of a Nokia Priority Store, the owner of an electronics shop, etc.
My mother has their numbers, but they don't have my mother's number.

Now that my mom uses WhatsApp and has them on her favorites list, will she be automatically added to their list and will they also be able to see her number?

They'll only be able to see her on her favourites list if they have your mother's number saved on their mobile.

Nishant

Regulars
Jul 15, 2009
Ulhasnagar, MH
Oh that clears my doubt. Thanks for the help guys. Another doubt, can't one keep a display picture on WhatsApp?

If you add a picture to a contact on your phonebook, it will show up on whatsapp too.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
on my phone i only see photos that are shown in my contacts list in android. i do not see any customized profile pictures. not sure if whatsapp lets you set a different profile picture.

----------

heh. just found out the day i would install whatsapp from my phone. no way i am going to pay for a messaging service.

Nishant

Regulars
Jul 15, 2009
Ulhasnagar, MH
No I mean a profile pic (like on Fb and BBM) that is visible to all others.

That's not possible I guess. It picks up the pic from the contact list. If the other person has saved a picture in your contact, the same pic will be shown on whatsapp.

----------

on my phone i only see photos that are shown in my contacts list in android. i do not see any customized profile pictures. not sure if whatsapp lets you set a different profile picture.

----------

heh. just found out the day i would install whatsapp from my phone. no way i am going to pay for a messaging service.

Dude! You've just made your mobile number public :blink3:

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
Oct 18, 2010
We will have some better service than this, which will still be free!

----------

@ Androidfreak....

If u have him in ur circles on Google, u will have his number. I too have him on my contact list in Whatsapp, and even the main contact list....since i have merged my Google contacts with phone.