MIA, Harsha Bhogle and Gavaskar

• Thread starter Thread starter sarkar007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 9,615
Ever since Tony's pet project ICL got hijacked by the BCCI, he has been on a "bash" India spree. A look at his tweets suggests that he often tweets with the sole purpose of riling up Indian fans.

For example, before the second innings of the Australians, he tweeted:

"Leave a bit of grass on the pitch and Indian batsmen get the wobbles. This is why they are known as ‘flat track bullies"

Obviously, he had his foot in the mouth when the Aussies started to collapse as well.

Just a few days back he took a dig at the IPL indirectly suggesting that the IPL games are scripted:

"Big Bash is the best T20 competition in the world. Top TV coverage and one gets the feeling the games are all legitimate. Pity its not FTA."

There have been a series of similar comments from him - online and offline. Now I am not saying that you should not point out mistakes or criticize, but if you do that solely for the purpose of riling up fans, you will draw flack! Tony has also been so blind in his support for UDRS that he has totally sidetracked its obvious flaws - like shadow from the stadium's roof affecting the accuracy of Eagle Eye.

He is a good commentator, no doubt. But I, and a lot of others find him irritating for his off-air comments.

@rodeoz Its Tony Greig's occasional eccentric behavior that makes him what he is. He was same during his playing days as well. I am sure you must have heard about the famous "I intend to make them grovel" remark against the West Indies team! With people like him, it's always either you hate him or love him or you may not agree with his views 100%. But the bottom line is, he is an excellent commentator in my humble opinion!

Yesterday in Times Now News channel Boria told that Channel 9 commentary is one sided and also their media...especially he attacked tony grieg....My all time favorite commentator is Bill Lawry...the words which he uses will not get erased from my memory...It all happening in MCG, SCG or WACA, Its going & going and gone...

Ever since he took over anchoring from Richie Benaud at Channel 9, he thinks he is actually as good as Richie. Richie Benaud is a legend & no one can replace him in the world of commentary! He should just be anchoring that's it, his commentary is indeed irritating at times.

Overall Channel 9's commentary is still much better than most. The standard at channel 9 started declining when they started giving the current batch of retired cricketers more airtime and less to the legends. Ian Healy is OK, but at times he makes it too complicated with his so called technical expertise tips/analysis. Michale Slater is OK, at times too much biased towards Australia. Mark Taylor is good. The best of course are the legends...the old timers, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig(i don't know why some people hate him), the one and only... Bill Lawry and his famous line..Its all happening right here at... 🙂 and lastly the grand daddy of all..Richie Benaud!

----------

Bill Lawry is the one of best. Do you even know how long he has been commentating? More than 30 yrs now. Yes he always wants Australia to do well, but unlike some other commentators, doesn't let his feelings affect his commentary. He always calls a spade a spade! Got Him, Its all Happening, Bang, Clean as whistle, these are terms which will go down in folklore of cricket commentating. Aus-SA 1999 world cup Semi final, Bill lawry and Mike Procter on air during the last over. One of the most electrifying clips, thanks only to one and only Bill Lawry.

Tony Grieg would be the last person you would call biased in favor of Australian team! He is always accused of supporting the visitng teams. I have been following Channels 9's coverage of cricket since the 90's.

I have been listening to Bill Lawry since 1985 when India won the World Championship of Cricket, the one where Ravi Shastri won his Audi. Hell, I have even listened to Keith Stackpole commentate on Channel 9. Till 1998 we used to get channel 9 audio and video feed. Since 2003-2004 Star Sports has a Indian commentary team with 1 or 2 Aussie commentators. So I know what I am talking about. Bill Lawry does get too excited. And he is biased towards Australia.

I am entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. Lets leave this at that!

There is no doubt that the best commentator was Richie Benaud. And the reason Mark Nicholas was given his job of anchor is because Mark is damn good.

I completely agree with you that Bill LAwry is biased on his commentary towards Australia all i like about his enthusiastic level...when a bowler gets a wicket, bowled a good ball, batsman hitting a six or 4...

I wish they had Gavaskar, Bhogle and Manjerekar. Ravi Shastri is irritating and should limit himself to pajama Cricket.

Bhogle is with ABC Grandstand. Its commentary is available online on its website. If you have a smartphone you can download a free app called TuneIn Radio and add ABC Grandstand to it.

Manjerekar I believe is with Channel 9. Channel 9's commentary team is no good either with people like Mark Nicholas. Most Aussies seem irritated with its commentary and have been watching the game muted with ABC's radio commentary on (which has earned good reviews).

The biggest problem I have with ESS's coverage is the absence of speed guns. Manjerekar tweeted the other day that ESS guys have told him that they were working on it and that it may take some time. This sucks. They should have sorted this out before the start of the series. Also, they seem to be lacking a few techs that Channel 9 has - like the "Rotator" which shows the no. of RPS on a spinner's delivery.

An interesting thing I noticed today was that Channel 9 and ESS showed slightly different trajectories for Cowan's dismissal. Are they using different service providers? - Hawk Eye/Virtual Eye/Eagle Eye. I am not sure.

Hai Can you please explain me how to access the ABC commentary thorugh mobile, I have an Android mobile

Hai Can you please explain me how to access the ABC commentary thorugh mobile, I have an Android mobile

Download the free TuneIn Radio app from the Android Market. In the app search for ABC Grandstand and add it to your favourites.

I am presuming there is a free TuneIn app for Android. There is one for iPhone.

can u please list the commentators available on the ABC broadcasting?

Sorry, I don't have an idea. You can check it's website perhaps.

oh ok. What happened to Sunny, I'm unable to find him on Start. Is he doing commentary perhaps for any other channel.

oh ok. What happened to Sunny, I'm unable to find him on Start. Is he doing commentary perhaps for any other channel.

Don't think Sunny is commentating for any channel or radio.

Some really nice experienced posters here. Liked Bill Lawry's commentary. Another of his stock expressions, "Gone for it" during the slog overs. Tony was a bit of over dose all the time and except for his Sachin Tendulkar wants to win the match for India episode in 98 Sharjah, never liked his commentary. Ravi is cliched to the core and am surprised he pulled it off for these many years. Sunny at least has got the experience to narrate some interesting anecdotes and is quite witty some times. For me the most insightful commentator is always going to be Ian Chappel. No one observes the intricate points that he does. Harsha B was always an excellent expressor of the events in layman's delightful terminology. Like the distance between the fielder and ball will always increase as it picks up pace, to a VVS Laxman's Cover Drive in 2003-4 Australian Series. Geoff Boycott was at his best when India tour West Indies in 1996. He was sublime. Manjrekar is apologetic cynic and I hate it when he compares himself with Rahul Dravid. Would have liked Channel Nines coverage than these guys here though Tom Moody is a mini Ian CHappel with voice and accent at least, have not heard him enough to see how he commentates.

Some really nice experienced posters here. Liked Bill Lawry's commentary. Another of his stock expressions, "Gone for it" during the slog overs. Tony was a bit of over dose all the time and except for his Sachin Tendulkar wants to win the match for India episode in 98 Sharjah, never liked his commentary. Ravi is cliched to the core and am surprised he pulled it off for these many years. Sunny at least has got the experience to narrate some interesting anecdotes and is quite witty some times. For me the most insightful commentator is always going to be Ian Chappel. No one observes the intricate points that he does. Harsha B was always an excellent expressor of the events in layman's delightful terminology. Like the distance between the fielder and ball will always increase as it picks up pace, to a VVS Laxman's Cover Drive in 2003-4 Australian Series. Geoff Boycott was at his best when India tour West Indies in 1996. He was sublime. Manjrekar is apologetic cynic and I hate it when he compares himself with Rahul Dravid. Would have liked Channel Nines coverage than these guys here though Tom Moody is a mini Ian CHappel with voice and accent at least, have not heard him enough to see how he commentates.

Folks-

I was wondering why Harsha & Sunil weren't around on espnstar broadcast, so I googled Harsha espn, and then stumbled upon this thread. I'm so glad I did, now I get to talk to "like-minded" people. 😱)

First things first, let me first thank you all for your delightful comments, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I'm watching this broadcast from willowtv, as there is no other way for us here to access Indian sports channel broadcasts ( at HD quality). 😱) Anyway, I was quite disappointed in ESPN broadcast not to have Sunny on, and to a certain extent Harsha...but Jason is not doing a bad job filling in for Harsha. I have been a fan of Gavaskar's commentary ever since he first started, I like his direct no nonsense approach to commentary, doesn't mince words, not to mention pro India bias...lol...(I have met him and got his autograph last year in June @ Sabina Park commentary box...he is surely a midget..lol)

Ravi Shastri can retire..there is nothing that is more boring & frustrating than listening to Mr.Shastri using the same cliched terms "Craker Jacker of a match..." "Rocking back on back foot.." etc etc....

Saurav is not as bad, but it seems to me that he is pissed off with someone at BCCI or with someone in the team itself. I understand that he is a commentator and he can criticize players about how they play, but he is over doing it, I mean it is a very tough to listen to say the least. For example, he was criticizing Gambhir for getting dismissed poking at the ball outside off stump, and with an angled bat, but tell me, how many times haven't we seen Mr.Ganguly do the same? He was complaining of others footwork and that they shouldn't be in the team and such...it is all true, but Mr.Ganguly, has to at least acknowledge that he was guilty of the same offenses when he used to play.
We all know that Saurav's footwork is not the greatest, if it weren't for his offside play, he wouldn't have even survived in the team for as long as he did.

Wasim and Tom are tolerable.

Ian is pretty damn good, I like his style of commentary, it is not monotonous like Mr.Shastri's. Love the way he describes VVS's batting, in 2004 when VVS scored 3 centuries in a week, he used this line..."He is in some sort of form this bloke..."

Moving on to Channel 9s team, Ritchie, he is probably the greatest commentator of all time, sad that he had to retire.

Bill lawry can get loud, you guys should listen to his commentary on Youtube, for "THAT" match between SA vs AUS in 1999 world cup, you coudl just hear him literally scream off the top of his lungs...Gosh it was horrible to listen...never really thought he unbiased.....

I pretty much like all the others on Channel 9.

Sorry about the long post, &

THanks to folks that pointed out that Tune-in had ABC feed, I never noticed it, only listen to music on it here while working out.

Here are my thoughts