Diesel consumption by private cars is so low that...

• Thread starter Thread starter yessgee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,730
should not happen. but if it does. it would suck. coz diesels of today are better than petrol engines... government is saying why should a person driving a mercedes should pay less for his fuel than a person driving a maruti 800...fix that problem. 🙂 not ban diesel. bring the rates of diesel for private vehicles at par with petrol... if you are unable to do that... stop ranting.

go ahead buy it. if i had some spare money... (lots of it) i would have exchanged my lxi for a vdi...

I don't think that the Govt. wants to ban diesel cars because of the whole mercedes argument. I think it's got to do more with Air pollution. And I know that many people contend that what is important is that the car is in tune with the Euro-II/Euro-III or Bharat-II/Bharart-III type standards. And that diesel cars of today with advanced engines and conforming to these standards are not any more polluting than their petrol variants.But I think it's a very very technical issue, and you need some experts to determine whether diesel is any worse than petrol or not. If it is, ban them. If not, they should look at enforcing pollution control standards, and perhaps adopting a singapore like quota system and limit the no. of cars on the road (though I suppose that would really only lead to another black market, mafia, and corruption).

the problem is... government should be setting standards for pollution. not deciding what technology is used by the car company to achieve that. if they are so worried why are they not implementing euro 4 early on in the indian market?pressure from maruti perhaps?get on par with european countries. at least implement Euro III throughout india. enforce pollution certification in each and every city.much of their effort is based in metro cities. why not cover the entire nation?they just have no courage.i am pretty sure a diesel powered CRDI engine car would be less polluting than a 5 year old Maruti 800 with 1L KM on its ODO.also... why are they not providing any kind of subsidy to reva car makers?why are they not encouraging toyota and honda to bring in their hybrids in the indian market?i am waiting for the mess tata's rs 1 lakh car would create on indian roads. doodh wala people would be traveling in cars now.

I am honestly still quite undecided what would be better:

a) Situation pre Tata 1L Car: Too many cars on Delhi roads, and people who can't afford cars on 2 wheelers and DTC/Blueline.
a) Situation post Tata 1L Car: Waaaaay too many cars on Delhi roads, but not as many 2 wheelers, DTC/blueline as before - no change.

However, as I see it the silver lining is that at least there will be less two wheelers weaving in between cars, driving without helmets, making turns onto roads without looking out for oncoming traffic, cutting red lights, weaving between cars at red light to stand at the front of the 'line' just to accelerate slower than cars and slow everyone down, creating lots of scratches and dents in their attempts to weave between cars.

Disclaimer: Not all two-wheel drivers are assholes. But most of them in Delhi are.

I think if we can improve compliance with traffic regulations (i.e. stopping at red lights, lane driving, giving right of way) with a dual effect of civic sense and better traffic police, traffic may actually improve with the elimination of two-wheelers. In a utopia at least. 🙂

Someone needs to put these environmentalists out of business first, starting with CSE. Al Gore now wants a carbon tax imposed and every government thinks bans and taxes are great solutions. What will happen is not a reduction in emissions but more business for accountants, more ambiguity and more cooked up figures to play with.Already reports are in circulation about the harmful effect biofuels are having on food prices. And every 'clean' technology is heavily subsidized. Carbon fuels and atomic energy are the only two guaranteed sources of power. Solar energy is great? Am not very sure. I would ask the question to people who have installed solar water heaters - do they get hot water when it is most required - in winter?If things keep moving in the direction they are at present, we will soon have to pay a tax for breathing (we are emitting CO2, aren't we?).

Government plans 25% cess on big diesel cars

New Delhi, 08 September 2008: Government may impose a 25% cess on big diesel cars and charge bulk users other than Indian Railways and state transport corporations Rs.22*per....

They may be branded as villains by the environmental lobby, but personal cars consume a paltry 0.6% of the
diesel consumed in the country, an internal Planning Commission note said.

The note shows that personal cars are the lowest consumers of diesel, a far cry from the charges that they benefit the most from the subsidy that the government accords to the fuel. According to the note, goods vehicles consume the maximum 37.9% while agriculture accounts for 18.8%. Buses, another crucial consumer of the fuel, account for 6%.

The note, which has been shared with auto industry body Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam), is in stark contrast to Kirit Parikh Committee report that pegs the consumption by passenger cars ata staggering 15% of the total diesel usage. However , while the 2010 Parikh Committee report (A Viable and Sustainable System of Pricing of Petroleum Products ) attributes a higher percentage to passenger cars, it does not further divide it in sub-segments like taxis, jeeps/ multi-utility vehicles etc.

The Planning Commission note pegs the usage by taxis at 2.1% and jeeps/MUVs at 2.5%. Three-wheelers account for 3.6%, power 6.8%, railways 3.7%, industry 5.6% and others 12.5%.

Personal cars account for 0.6% of India's diesel consumption — economictimes.indiatimes.com — Readability

It is becoming yet another win for the government when people complain and ask for no subsidy on diesels for passenger cars.

what stops the govt from creating a tariff structure that charges more for diesel being filled in private cars at the station??
At least, have the unsubsidized pricing. Not everyone can or will be able to buy the subsidized diesel for their SUVs !

also, wasn't the subsidy meant only for agriculture usage? Goods carrier wale free mein aish kar rahe hai...

In china they have successfully implemented (dictatorship!)1. Right to own new vehicle is by auction in most big cities ( only say 5000 new vehicles /year for personal use similar to Singapore model ) You bid for the liecence to own a vehicle and then buy a vehicle of your choice.2. At the pump- fuel price is increased. But registered / recogonised Transport operators get rebate/refund per km driven basis with solid proof. ( to control inflation of essential day to day life neccessaties)3.Punishing tax on luxury vehicles . Expect high price tag anything above 1200cc cars for personal use.

government needs to something very simple. restrict the number of cars to parking space available to the person. that alone would cause enough restrictions in place on the number of cars a family can own.

but then a lot of people in delhi ncr region (and other metros) would probably not even qualify to own a vehicle 😛

targeting diesel car owners is sheer stupidity. they already pay a premium for these cars. they already pay a higher tax. government already makes enough 'extra' money from them. and they are already working on increasing the tax on diesel cars.

if they cannot stop black marketing of fuel, if they cannot stop adulteration, it is not our mistake and we should not be penalized for it. government needs to fix their own shit than use us all as bait.

funny thing is that people seem to support the idea of charging a premium for diesel from the people owning diesel cars. i mean government wins in both cases, they are already freaking looting the public and they are getting support from the public to loot a select section a bit more.

----------

they recently increased the registration charges for cars here in haryana. earlier it used to be a fixed price. now they charge guess what... 8% of the car's value. so basically a 10L car would now cost 10.8L just because you have to pay 80K for registration charges. regular charges were more like 5-8K i think previously. a mercedes car buyer would probably pay enough that can buy him a nano or an alto.

no one has any idea where this money goes. we still do get good roads here in gurgaon. we have no parking in public spaces. we are still cursed for using private cars and not use public transport (which do not exist). government wins everywhere. common man is the loser.