Samsung gives list of devices which will give ICS upgrade for it devices

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2,406
they are probably not missing out. the priority is to update their recent models because these customers are going to be furious if the updates are delivered late. they can take their own sweet time to update the older models. it would be sad if they do not release the update for Galaxy s officially. it has been one of their best selling models and it would create a lot of hate towards them considering nexus s is getting the update from google.

For me, Missing S Plus is more of a surprise because it is a recent model - Compared to S

ah well. S and S Plus are largely the same genre. hardware differences are there but they are still a generation old model. s2 and note were going to be the focal point. Galaxy r is a surprise in itself.

Now, this according is me is more like it.. Atleast they are awake to the criticism.

well. it is pretty similar to what GoDaddy is trying to do with a PR issued claiming that they are no longer in support of SOPA. there are a couple of possibilities... 1. samsung gambled by announcing that Galaxy s and tab would not get it to see the backlash knowing that it is possible. 2. they really cannot deliver ics with touchwiz. now there are a couple of outcomes... 1. they manage to release ics with touchwiz. 2. they release stock android ics update as an optional upgrade. 3. they delay it long enough for the critics to get used to the idea of no official ICS release for these two devices. similar case had happened with htc desire when android gingerbread was released. htc said that they cannot release it with sense. backlash. they finally said that they would make available an update without sense. not sure if they did that. i did not follow that story.

Valid point..... except for the actual devices owners, others would no longer care after some time

in six months Galaxy s would be so old that people who bother would be running custom mods. samsung knows this and they are likely to take this strategy. fact remains their popular devices would take 3-4 months to get ICS.

I agree on the above - even my overall viewpoint is that many common users would not even know much about it - I know two Galaxy S (or SL) folks who even after 6 months are still not clear what "updates" to OS or custom ROMs mean, the tech savvy ones would probably get a new phone... then like you say a lot of people would be on custom mods... finally, there will actually be a small subset of people left who would wait & crib for updates from Samsung.