Drive to Katra

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 11,952
i was more interested in XUV500 😀

----------

ah well. we were looking for an adventure. turns out we are a bunch of middle aged dudes who are going to play it safe.

heh. well there are lots of other ways to have adventures rather than struggling with 33 bhp puny motor on a hill-top or watching your toy being muscled off the road by SUV's, trucks etc

well i think u are grossly over estimating it .. never owned a nano but i own an Alto..i know it inside out..know what it is capable of..city runs are fine but would never want to drive one on the high way or the hills..rest is ur opinion :Boy Surrender:...

If you have been to hill stations, you would notice Alto is the preferred mode of travel there, opposed to an Indica or the like. Surely there must be a reason for it?

More than the power, I'd be concerned about safety. If some mishap were to happen, I'd rather be in an SUV than a nano. Also fog lamps. do either of alto/nano have them? Anti lock braking? etc. etc. New Year = Lots of crazy ass drunk drivers.

If you have been to hill stations, you would notice Alto is the preferred mode of travel there, opposed to an Indica or the like. Surely there must be a reason for it?

Yes the simple fact that Alto outsells the indica by 4x. More cars = More Probability of being seen. you think those people have an option between alto and a more powerful car and choose to take the alto?

My suggestion, hire an innova. whether self driven or otherwise.

^ I am talking about taxis, not personal travel. Taxis in places like Shimla, Manali etc are Altos, while the Indica has a far lower TCO in the long run

Because they are/were cheaper and more reliable than indica? Also, I have been to Shimla and Nainital recently and did not see any alto's as taxi's. Did you visit recently?

@manu, correct.. but one should be concerned about the power as well..ever been in a tight spot trying to overtake a slow moving vehicle?..u are abreast of the vehicle, u stomp on the accelerator and u realise that there is no power..happens less for experienced drivers who know the limits of their vehicle..but if u have a better vehicle why would u engage in this "adventure"?@agantuk ..in India i have seen lots of maruti vans as well on hills does that make the van a safe vehicle or does it take away anything from the fact that its a puny 39 BHP motor? India is a country of contradictions we have lots of things happening here that defy logic/safety/rationale..the only rationale that works is that the thing should be cheap..

Few options we are considering...

Taking a self owned Alto
Taking a self owned Nano
Hiring an SUV

Questions.

Would Nano be powerful enough to carry three passengers to Katra and possibly Patnitop? Friend is not so sure and wants to take Alto. I want to go in a Nano...
Any company in Delhi NCR that rents out SUV for self drive journeys? Possible rent for a good SUV?

----------

More Qs.

What kind of weather can we expect in Katra during the new year period? Snowfall? I have never been in snowfall before. How do you drive in snow using regular cars with regular tires? 😀

I went to Vaishno Devi yatra on new year day once. That was around 10 years ago and I went by train which reached Jammu around 9 hours late due to thick fog on the route starting from Delhi. So going by train is not recommended during that period. Also avoid driving after sunset and during night. Leave Delhi/Gurgaon early in the morning before 5:00 AM or even earlier.

I once went in February also. I have never seen snow in Katra or on the way to Katra from Jammu.

Weather in Katra will be COLD. From Katra to Vaishno Devi, during night is very very cold. Wear 2 sweaters (at least) and 1 good jacket. Don't forget the cap that should be big enough to cover your ears and woolen socks. Your shoes must have thick soles. Flat shoes will hurt due to cold roads.

Better hire an Indica with a driver instead of taking your own car. If you compare AC train and bus fares for 3 persons with cost of hiring an Indica, you will not find much difference in cost. Though using your own car will be the cheapest option.

I have never been to Patnitop, so don't know much about conditions there.

Nano is known to catch fire just like that...... Keep that in mind 😛
Better...would help in cold :rofl: