• Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,312

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Ok. I placed order for this RAM chip last night.

Later found out in my motherboard's manual that it might not be supported at all.

For some weird reason the manual states that it would take only 4GB chips max per slot.

I would still try out. If it does not work for me, anyone here interested?

Would be great if I can get it for as close to the price I paid for it. Though I understand that a discount would be reasonable. 🙂

Your motherboard may support after updating bios , post your board model

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

i am already on the latest bios firmware that they have on their website.

googling around confuses me more. it seems to work with 8GB RAM but might not work at the peak speed 1600.

and i thought i was getting a future proof motherboard when i picked it for around 7K when cheaper ones were available for 3-4K 😀

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 1800 (O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications.

tells me that i would have to overclock the ram. 😕

i have no idea how to do that and how safe it would be.

Just checked your ebay link , your board will anyway support this because its 2x4gb

It's interesting to note that in order for the board to reach as-advertised 1,800 MHz memory speeds, it has to rely on an overclocked reference clock, as the highest selectable memory speed in the BIOS is 800 MHz (1,600 MT/s). We didn't have 1,800 MHz DDR3 available for testing, but we can say that the board handled our Mushkin XP3-12800 at 1,600 MHz with its advertised 7-8-7-20 timings and encountered no stability issues whatsoever. The M4A785TD-V EVO was only one of the two boards in our 785G roundup that could accomplish this feat.

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO: BIOS And Overclocking : Seven AMD 785G-Based Motherboards Rounded Up

----------

man. embarrassing.

i had no idea i ordered 2x4GB chips!

seriously.

tells me that i would have to overclock the ram. 😕

i have no idea how to do that and how safe it would be.

You dont have to overclock , it will automatically run at 1333 and maybe even 1600 without overclock

nope. Asus website requires me to use bios to overclock the RAM 😀 i hope that it does not cause stability problems. though i do not think it would hate it if it does work at 1333 without overclocking. i am running out of RAM at daily tasks. i am not much concerned with speed.

guess so. now i am not sure what i would do with my old transcend 2x2GB 1333Mhz RAM chips. i don't think it is a good idea to run these four chips together right?

nope. Asus website requires me to use bios to overclock the RAM 😀

i hope that it does not cause stability problems. though i do not think it would hate it if it does work at 1333 without overclocking.

i am running out of RAM at daily tasks. i am not much concerned with speed.

Probably because the chipset 785 supports only 1333 but motherboard probably supports 1600 , it may run at 1600 by default or you can get instructions to run it at 1600 from here DDR3 - GSKILL TECH FORUM

----------

guess so.

now i am not sure what i would do with my old transcend 2x2GB 1333Mhz RAM chips.

i don't think it is a good idea to run these four chips together right?

If you have four slots you can run them together if your system boots , all will run @ 1333 and in dual channel

cool. i guess i would be posting on their forum once i get the chips...

man i should have taken a simpler decision. should have bought 2 more transcend 2x4GB chips to make it 8GB.

----------

right. i think i have four slots on my motherboard. 😀

would be cool to have 12GB RAM for the first time ever even though the RAMs would be working at lower capacity. 😀

----------

is there a proper method to place the chips? can i put them in any order?

or do i have to follow a proper order to place the two chips of different capacities?

----------

as you can see that the motherboard has 2 slots of two different colors!

ah well. it's not a good idea to tell me (or anyone for that matter!) what i should have purchased after i have purchased something. 🙂