Aircel Chennai offering truly unlimited GPRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solariiknight

Regular
ISP
BSNL broadband, Aircel 3G.
I bought an aircel SIM card today at chennai. I'm surprised to see that the aircel website is offering some unlimited plans - Rs.14, 3 days UL, R$s.29, 7 days UL, Rs.98, 30 days UL.:crazy1: The link is here:

Aircel - Aircel Pocket Internet

However, for few other places, it is showing only limited plans. Can anyone confirm that this is truly unlimited?

Also, can anyone tell how to check for data balance in aircel?

My dad has been using it for past 8-9 months.. Its unlimited.Not sure if the offer is still there

vodafone offers around 6gb of data for 100~150/month in gprs but how can anybody download even 1gb with such pathetic speeds you get in gprs? if there are people who do this I would want to know how ? 😛i feel it is just a marketing gimmick.. let these rascals offer that same package in 3g 😛

@tweaknut:

I was using vodafone GPRS 6GB pack(Karnataka SIM) for the past 3 months and I got awesome speeds of 25-30KBps throughout the day. But I live in a very scarcely populated area and hence my area is unlikely to face spectrum shortage and perhaps sufficient backend network support too. I used 15GB in a month actually 😛 (3X Rs.129 recharge). Now they have withdrawn the plan. I think you might have seen my other thread here

Currently I'm using aircel and well, the network doesn't seem as smooth as vodafone's

----------

My dad has been using it for past 8-9 months.. Its unlimited.

Not sure if the offer is still there

Thanks for the info. But just confirming, does your dad download more than 3GB a month(for Rs.98 plan?).

I got awesome speeds of 25-30KBps throughout the day. I used 15GB in a month actually 😛 (3X Rs.129 recharge)
25-30KBps..that is equivalent to 256kbps ..which is broadband. how can gprs offer 25-30KBps?? i am confused.. and 15gb wth did u dl..is this possible or true friend?

No he doesnt uHardse more than even 1 GB... Hardly ever 2-3 GB.... A few days Reliance broadband was down.. So I used it using Wi-Fi Hotspot , may have touched 2-3 GB then, but that also is doubtful.. The speeds are not simply good enough to achieve that

25-30KBps..that is equivalent to 256kbps ..which is broadband. how can gprs offer 25-30KBps?? i am confused.. and 15gb wth did u dl..is this possible or true friend?

Technically possible, and practically I have seen it. My phone is Nokia N79 that is armed with multislot class 32 EGPRS modem. A class 32 EGPRS is capable of 296Kbps download (37KBps). Vodafone fluctuates between 25-30KBps when I used it. But that's only bandwidth which helps in downloading. Browsing isn't very good as response times for page loading is slower and uses only about 50% of the total possible bandwidth. And I'm in a scarcely populated area, so no issue os spectrum shortage and probably no network shortage either. You will not get this bandwidth if you live in the heart of the city.

But the data cards I have seen have only multislot class 10 EGPRS modem that is capable of 236Kbps(29KBps) which is slightly lower.

----------

Currently I'm missing my vodafone connection as aircel is painful. 10-20KBps download and for browsing the response times are incredibly slow and pages take 1-3 minutes to load 🙁

All you mention is about theory and technicality..if you truly received >256kbps then that is better than broadband .. As far as I am concerned you are first person I have seen/heard who has this speed in gprs. Now what data do u dl on your phone that it reaches almost 6gb??

^^ yah... i m also getting Appx. 250kbps speed on Aircel GPRS in Pune MH Circle.

Aircel is truly UL here... that's what I found out. Downloaded about 600MB in Rs.14/3days plan. But the bandwidth I receive is low to about 15KBps.. during night 10pm-12am, browsing is torturous. Rest of the time also, it is slower and unpredictable compared to my vodafone GPRS connection.

----------

All you mention is about theory and technicality..if you truly received >256kbps then that is better than broadband .. As far as I am concerned you are first person I have seen/heard who has this speed in gprs. Now what data do u dl on your phone that it reaches almost 6gb??

Read my post carefully, I mentioned that practically I received 256Kbps too. I download & seed torrents (of movies and sometimes linux distros) using my vodafone GPRS connection in my PC(sometimes in my phone using symtorrent).

----------

The average speed of torrents in vodafone was 25KBps and http,ftp downloads was 28-30KBps.

----------

Well, i have seen people who download more than 2GB in a month.......... Huawei umg1831 : EDGE class 12 (237 kbps dl)... Uninor https://i.imgur.com/nkoGN.jpg vodafone https://i.imgur.com/k05rm.jpg Okay browsing, just for checking mails........

Be careful of IDM. It inflates speed. Just look at difference between the speed the connection manager shows and the speed IDM shows. In that picture:
IDM: 32KBps (256Kbps)
connection manager: 219Kbps(27KBps)

I had a similar experience with my 256Kbps BSNL broadband connection too. IDM was showing 35KBps(=280Kbps!) consistently, while task manager was showing 32KBps flat.
http://is.gd/nyv0mW

Status
Not open for further replies.