• Thread starter Thread starter IndianMascot
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 3,113

IndianMascot

Addicts
ISP
Reliance, Tata Photon + , MTNL 3G Jadoo
well. you fell for the bullshit headline. courts told Apple that they do not have the trademark for the term ipad. nothing else has happened. the company that owns the trademark has to file a lawsuit and claim damages. and then the courts would decide what apple would have to do.i have been reading similar headlines at a lot of places. seriously annoying bullshit.

Apple Inc suffered a setback in the Chinese market on Wednesday as a court rejected its lawsuit against a local company for alleged infringement of its iPad trademark, as a result of which it may have to sell the product under a new name in China or cough up $1.6 billion. Apple may have to sell its popular iPad tablet computers under a new name in the Chinese mainland in future if it does not first purchase the trademark from a Chinese tech firm as a result of the verdict, official media reported Wednesday.

Seriously. Read the article. Do not go by the headlines.

----------

Apple filed a lawsuit. Courts said get lost.

The trademark is owned by another company.

Who would have to file a lawsuit which is going to be a different lawsuit.

And if Apple loses that, courts would decide what they would have to.

Apple has just lost the lawsuit which means just one thing. They cannot use the iPad branding in China. NOTHING ELSE has happened until now.

Ahem !!! So, Media had themselves assumed that Apple had to cough up $ 1.6 million eventhough Proview Technology (Shenzhen) which originally reserves the ' ipad' trademark had not cleared their next instance.

that's what i got reading multiple articles with similar bullshit headlines. 🙂

no, it is some news. Maybe Apple will purchase the right to use iPAD from that company(which is already in the brink of bankruptcy) Or it may sell iPad with any other name ( Even wal-mart uses different name in chinese market already)

I think the other company has to b fool if it doesnt file the suit to make "some" xtra income.Court has already agreed that the patent belongs to other company.Its a juicy full toss, asking to b hit!

Now that the court has given its ruling and considering it is China... Apple would probably have to pay a good amount. But I am sure they would keep the details secret.I doubt they would change the iPad branding. Their egos are too big to do that. Google faced a similar problem in UK wrt Gmail and Gmail is actually branded Google Mail in UK region.

no, it is some news.

Maybe Apple will purchase the right to use iPAD from that company(which is already in the brink of bankruptcy)

Or it may sell iPad with any other name ( Even wal-mart uses different name in chinese market already)
You cannot compare an iPad with a Walmart store. Walmart doesn't use its brand name where it doesn't own 100% of the end to end logistics. An iPad on the other hand, is an iPad (as Apple would say). It would be interesting if this company asks them for a huge sum of money ($2 B or more), or just plain refuses to part with the trademark.

You cannot compare an iPad with a Walmart store. Walmart doesn't use its brand name where it doesn't own 100% of the end to end logistics. An iPad on the other hand, is an iPad (as Apple would say). It would be interesting if this company asks them for a huge sum of money ($2 B or more), or just plain refuses to part with the trademark.
yeah, you're right . .but i think coca-cola has different name in China . .

Just saying *if* the company refuses to sell the trademark . .what would apple do? guess it'll change it's name . .considering china has HUGE market for iPads.

Apple originally did not have the trademark for iPhone. i think Cisco had it. cisco had originally refused to give them the right to use this branding in usa. after a couple of days, permission was given. no details were released about the financial transactions. i am expecting something similar here.