iPhone 4S v pro camera - in pictures

• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,143
Lolz the iPhone literally beats the Canon in most of the tests??? WTF ... Something is wrong with that dude's camera is my best guess... I was particularly shock at the image where iPhone showed the evening sky & the canon showed just blank ...

If you read the caption for that sky photo, you'll see that the Canon captures the shadows at the cost of overexposing the sky, whereas the 4S captures the dynamic range in the sky at the expense of shadow detail in the foreground.

hmm But the fact remains that in that pic its the iPhone that gives you the real picture... Imagine taking a beautiful evening pic but there is no sky visible in ur pics... That just sucks... the Iphone can afford to give n number of reasons for not shooting a accurate pic(hey I m just a cellphone camera, hey I have small sensors etc etc etc) but I dont really think a camera that costs you 1.5L+ is allowed to make any of these excuses... I am more letdown by the canon than impressed with the iphone...

Actually, you can get the Canon to take a photo like the 4S. It's about selecting the right settings and fixtures. Unfortunately, the article doesn't mention these alongside the photos. The DSLR will certainly give you much more latitude in fiddling than the 4S. What the article is comparing is the 4S and the 5D Mk II as snapshot cameras i.e. a spontaneous point and shoot result. And obviously here the DSLR won't be as optimized as the 4S. The Apple device is meant for regular consumers and so the camera system takes it upon itself to self-optimize, whereas the DSLR is meant for professionals and enthusiasts, and they're expected to make the trade-offs for the result they want.

Actually, you can get the Canon to take a photo like the 4S. It's about selecting the right settings and fixtures. Unfortunately, the article doesn't mention these alongside the photos. The DSLR will certainly give you much more latitude in fiddling than the 4S. What the article is comparing is the 4S and the 5D Mk II as snapshot cameras i.e. a spontaneous point and shoot result. And obviously here the DSLR won't be as optimized as the 4S. The Apple device is meant for regular consumers and so the camera system takes it upon itself to self-optimize, whereas the DSLR is meant for professionals and enthusiasts, and they're expected to make the trade-offs for the result they want.

True. No one is comparing the DSLR with a mobile point and shoot. The DSLR offers a wide range of settings. I believe the comparison is between how iPhone 4S adjusts automatically to different photography objects as compared to the "automatic mode" of the 5D. The "automatic mode" available on almost all DSLRs is also expected to self-optimize.

About DSLR being a professional camera - It is. But a lot of amateur photographers use it as well. For this very reason the price of entry level DSLRs has gone down - to make it a camera available to all. And most amateurs simply choose the "automatic mode" when clicking everyday pictures. The comparison is mainly for this aspect of the two cameras.

No comparison please. You can't attach telephoto lenses on your iPhone for wildlife photography. Nor you can do extreme closeups. You don't have control over the ISO so that you can shoot without flash. No shutter control also to create motion freeze and blur. Just don't compare any dslr camera which have interchangeable lenses and full frame sensor with a phone camera.

No comparison please. You can't attach telephoto lenses on your iPhone for wildlife photography. Nor you can do extreme closeups. You don't have control over the ISO so that you can shoot without flash. No shutter control also to create motion freeze and blur. Just don't compare any dslr camera which have interchangeable lenses and full frame sensor with a phone camera.

What you are saying is NOT what the comparison is about. It is a comparison of auto-optimization of the two devices. The comparison never says that a mobile point and shoot is better than a DSLR. Saying that is blasphemous!! :-D

Btw, iPhone can make use of an external telephoto lens - iPhone lens dial for fisheye, telephoto and wide-angle shooting - Hindustan Times