Hathway HD Vs Hathway SD

• Thread starter Thread starter nikhilip9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 22,057

nikhilip9

ISP
Hathway
Name : Nikhil PundlikStays in : Ashokvan - Borivali, MumbaiCurrent Equiment - Hathway Cable , Humax SD Set top box.Hey guys, I recently got a call from Hathway saying they had launched HD services in Mumbai , and whether i would like to try.I jumped at the chance, and also went all the way to thier Lower Parel office for a demo.I could not make out too much from the demo, because they are using 21 inch computer screens to demo.So gopichandji, my question is actually for u. You have used the SD and the HD boxes (from what i read on this forum), is there a huge difference int eh PQ of SD channels if i upgrade the box ?Their Sales Rep ( demo wala ) told me that SD-STB was giving MPEG2 quality images, while HD-STB will give MEPG4 quality of images for viewing SD channels.Which i believe would be better, but as i have not seen myself yet , i am still not sure. I still have my doubts. Gopichandji , can you please clear them ? Is the PQ of SD channels better over HD-STB compared to SD-STB ??I am still not convinced as to how they are selling HD connections with thier exisitng (I assume SD) underlying cabling ?The Dish that DTH providers provide, uses the same type of cabling that gets u connected to thier box - and then the box can be HD or SD based on what u subscribe. However, they say that they cannot connect more than 6 HD boxes to 1 dish , because the cable is not powerful enough to carry True HD signals for more than 6 boxes. In that case, I am still confused as to how Hathway are promising of providing HD quality over thier exiting cabling ?I am not a electronics / electrical major - so i may be missing something that u guys arent. could u please explain ?Thanks,Nikhil

By the time Gopi Bhai come and answer your queries, I would like to clarify some points.

Their Sales Rep ( demo wala ) told me that SD-STB was giving MPEG2 quality images, while HD-STB will give MEPG4 quality of images for viewing SD channels.
Which i believe would be better, but as i have not seen myself yet , i am still not sure.

Yes MPEG4 PQ quality will always be better than MPEG2 because MPEG-4 absorbs many of the features of MPEG-4 absorbs many of the features of MPEG1 and MPEG2 along with new features like extended VRML support for 3D.

Is the PQ of SD channels better over HD-STB compared to SD-STB ??

Yes, because of HDMI port which transfer data on higher speed with minimal quality loss.

I am still not convinced as to how they are selling HD connections with thier exisitng (I assume SD) underlying cabling ?

for SD and HD, there is nothing to do with cables as they are analog cables. Huge technology is involved in between this. If I got some spare time will try to share the technological details here. But it can be possible if certain level of frequency is achieved on these cables, one can get superb quality equivalent to DTH services.

>> is there a huge difference int eh PQ of SD channels if i upgrade the box ?It is not a huge difference but PQ of SD channels on HD box is better than SD box.

Thanks IndianMascot, so if price is not an issue - u say u would recommend me switching to HD-STB ? or do u suggest i wait until Jan 2012 - when most users are saying Hathway HD will move into 5th gear and get things going in full swing ?
Also, if you can share links of wiki or any other website, from where I can read up stuff on the technicals that u were going to post - that would be excellent !
really appreciate the quick response and all the help,
thanks,
nikhil

----------

Thanks Mr.Pai , I am still flabbergasted that Hathway does not have a HTML page for HD on their Website ?!?!?!!!????

I would suggest you to wait for few months. May be more economical plans would be in pipeline. But if you wanna experience HD asap, then go for it. Except yearly pricing factor other than monthly, I don't find any glitch in Hathway HD.

Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4 are digital compression technologies. In layman terms, if a pipe has a capacity of XX mbps, then using mpeg 4 we can offer more channels than what we could with mpeg 2. If you r to conduct a blind test, there is no way one can differentiate on quality of pictures. Those DTH players which launched first are still using Mpeg 2 without compromising on quality.

The diff between cable & DTH are the methods of delivery. Whilst Hathway uses a hybrid fiber co-axial network, DTH after processing the signal in the Headend similar to a cable Headend, iDTH redistributes the signal using a satellite for distribution. The cable plant today runs analog as well as digital signals and one does not need to change any cabling within the house. Once the mandated digitalisation commences in 2012, Hathway's cable plant will be capable of providing over 1000 channels which can be a mix of Standard Definition or High Definition content. In fact, cable possesses far more bandwidth than DTH. Being heavy in data, the HD channels need more bandwidth than SD channels - and the cable plant is very capable of providing both.

There can never be a comparison between HD & SD in quality terms - HD provides far superior picture. The diff will be immediately noticed when you watch channels like Movies Now, History & M Tunes which have the same content in SD & HD.

Now to address your query on PQ of SD channels on a HD STB. The chipsets of the HD STB are far superior in processing terms to that of a SD STB. To receive Full HD on your panel TV, it is always advisable to connect the STB using the HDMI cable. Using the same ensures that the delivery of signal from its inception at the Headend to the TV is Digital. When you connect the same using AV cords the signal has been converted to composite and that will never match digital.

Hope all queries have been addressed.

----------

new website is being constructed.

Thanks God You made your presence and clarified few points.You are in high demand here and your support can not only enhance Sales but satisfaction among us too.

Okie. So Now I had few questions:1. Hathway HD had launched in which cities ??2. Is Hathway HD launched in Mumbai ?? If Yes, what to the process to grab one such connection ??3. Is DVR facility available with Hathway HD ??4. What the Various Individual HD Packages and Combo ones (HD + Broadband) ??

5. When are you planning to launch new HD channels? Right now there are only 8 HD channels. I am mainly looking for Star HD channels.

HD is available in Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru, Hyderabad & Delhi. Being a cable network, there will be limitations to our reach within the cities mentioned earlier.

SMS HD

Glad to be of any assistance.
Good to see a concerned person from Hathway here. What are the monthly charges for HD services in the Mumbai western suburbs?

By the end of the month.

Still waiting for complete answers of all 5 queries .

----------

[/COLOR]HD is available in Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru, Hyderabad & Delhi. Being a cable network, there will be limitations to our reach within the cities mentioned earlier.

SMS HD