• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 10,673

jatboydelhi

ISP
MTNL
Hi to all,

I am a resident of Delhi ;

I am planning to buy an " iPad : 64 GB Wifi and 3G model " and I am really confused as to which of the 3G operators, I should choose for using my iPad outdoors.

I am usually an outdoor guy and is on frequent traveling between Delhi & Haryana (Karnal City, in particular)... so I need advice which is best 3G provider who can cater to my outdoor traveling, I mean which can provide me good speeds (at least 1 mbps surfing speed), good network coverage and consistency in terms of speed and network.... Tariffs are not much of a consideration for me.... I can opt for costly 3G if it gives me a good & consistent speed and network and which also allows me seamless automatic roaming while I go to Haryana from Delhi.......

I did a bit of research and found that Airtel, MTNL (which switches to BSNL in Haryana) and Vodafone are the only providers who give 3G services, both in Delhi and Haryana....

So i need advice which of these providers is the best amongst them in terms of network, speed and consistency of 3G services....

If anyone has screenshots of speed and network about these providers... then please post.....

i am not sure but i think private operators do not offer 3G on roaming for free. so you are essentially looking at very high data costs on roaming. i can see that costing is not an issue here but think about 10 paisa per 10KB of data? that comes to around what? 10 rupees per MB?

i am not sure but i think private operators do not offer 3G on roaming for free. so you are essentially looking at very high data costs on roaming. i can see that costing is not an issue here but think about 10 paisa per 10KB of data? that comes to around what? 10 rupees per MB?

Still chromaniac.. I am not worried about these roaming costs... my only consideration is speed and network reliability.... I just wanna know which of them is best in terms of speed and network consistency......

Aircel 3G looks good in TN/KA... and data is roaming free and same with airtel too. But i found aircel is little better in 3G in as their user base is less in KA, comparing with airtel 🙂

Aircel 3G looks good in TN/KA... and data is roaming free and same with airtel too. But i found aircel is little better in 3G in as their user base is less in KA, comparing with airtel 🙂

Thanks Smnrock for your reply... but my question was with regard to 3G services for iPad in Delhi and Haryana.....

I'd suggest mtnl. Works well more often than not. Has an unlimited data plan. Speed on mtnl's network is around 160 - 320 kBps. Averages at 1.5 - 2 mbps on the move. Speed on bsnl would depend on the tower ( 3.6 or 7.2 mbps ) Roaming on bsnl is not free for mtnl Delhi subscribers . You will be charged at 1 paise per 12 KB irrespective of your data plan.

...... You will be charged at 1 paise per 12 KB irrespective of your data plan.......

Well x720... can you explain this elaborately..... what if I get a prepaid connection and charge it with Rs 1650/- plan for unlimited 3G experience.... how the roaming will be calculated and deducted from my recharge amount...

Also one more question.. I have heard that to get good speeds on MTNL 3G one need to get HSDPA activated on the SIM ... what is the procedure & charges for that..............

Firstly, nowadays hsdpa is activated by default on all the Sims. So you don't need to do anything with respect to that. Next, while you are on mtnl network in Delhi and ncr , you will charged nothing (if you take 1650 plan) as the plan has unlimited data with a 200 gb fup .However, once you switch over to bsnl's network in karnal, you will be charged @ 1 p per 12 KB irrespective of your data plan ( I haven't tested this because last time I was on roaming , data used to be free, they changed the policy recently) . Would you spend a majority of your outside Delhi ncr ?

Would you spend a majority of your outside Delhi ncr ?

Well I usually go to Karnal in two weeks and stay there for a max of two days in a stretch........

Given mtnl's low cost per KB, it should be just fine. What I'd suggest is that buy a prepaid sim and test the network both at your place in Delhi and in karnal. If you feel satisfied with the speed , recharge with 1650

.... What I'd suggest is that buy a prepaid sim and test the network both at your place in Delhi and in karnal. If you feel satisfied with the speed recharge with 1650 ......

Right on Dot.... Nice advice...Thanks a lot.. will do the same on my next trip...

By the way One more thing x720... What about the performance of BSNL 3G network in general, which would be used by me in case of roaming with MTNL 3G....

Further its a bit strange... that there are no reviews for Airtel 3G / Vodafone 3G till now on my thread... seems like there are no takers for those providers.. :waiting:....

Last time I checked , bsnl gave me 2 - 2.5 mbps on the move in Karnal. They might have upgraded their towers to 7.2 mbps now .However , if the network sucks at your exact location, you'd have to look for alternatives.You might want to have a look at Reliance 3G in that case, but they don't have an unlimited plan, afaik .

.....Last time I checked , bsnl gave me 2 - 2.5 mbps on the move in Karnal. They might have upgraded their towers to 7.2 mbps now ....

Thanks for this ... I think this much speed would cater my needs.......

..... You might want to have a look at Reliance 3G in that case, but they don't have an unlimited plan, afaik .....

Oops.... I guess Reliance 3G is not available in Haryana...... so I can't go with that.... even Reliance broadband+ is also not available in Karnal.... the only alternatives would be Vodafone or Airtel 3G..... I have a sort of dislike towards Airtel since their services usually sucks..... so the only other alternative would be Vodafone 3G... But there are no reviews posted for that on this thread of mine as yet....

Vodafone 3G I have tested only in Gurgaon, gives around 4 mbps consistently , but at around rs 10 per mb, I feel the pricing is insane. Again, they have no unlimited data plan.Give mtnl a try. If it doesn't work well, give vodafone a try.

well MTNL network coverage is poor in Delhi when compared to Airtel..3G being no exception..Airtel 3g coverage is better in Delhi and i get better speeds on it in different parts of the city.