Need to upgrade from Tata skySD for HD and more tamil channels.

• Thread starter Thread starter rock18
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,735

rock18

ISP
BSNL
Hi, Greetings everyone.I am from chennai and currently using Tata Sky Sd connection(almost 4yrs).I am quite unhappy with their tamil channel packages.They have only 11 tamil channels and also recently bought 42" plasma TV so PQ is not upto the mark.Hence decided to upgratde to HD.I guess except for Tata sky,all other DTH's have more tamil channels.I am browsing through this forum for more than 3 weeks but not able to decide.I am more inclined to videocon D2h as it is cheaper and also it has one active 3D channel(my TV supports 3D)but a bit put off my the negative reviews about its PQ.I am also thinking about Airtel and reliance also.So please suggest me the best one based on my needs.Requirement:1.Very good PQ and AQ for 42" TV2.More tamil channels especially comedy channels Aditya and siripoli.3.Apart from tamil channels,i watch cricket,tennis,ndtv good times,news channels and discovery turbo the most.4.3D content will be welcome..

Well i dnt know abt Tamil channels, but PQ & AQ both r pretty much decent on D2h.I have a 42" LED. Few other members have 40 & 47 inchers, and they r pretty much happy with it. I m responding thru my cell, else i cud have posted the links to those threads where v have a collection of Images for urn judging.

Hi,
Greetings everyone.
I am from chennai and currently using Tata Sky Sd connection(almost 4yrs).I am quite unhappy with their tamil channel packages.
They have only 11 tamil channels and also recently bought 42" plasma TV so PQ is not upto the mark.
Hence decided to upgratde to HD.
I guess except for Tata sky,all other DTH's have more tamil channels.

I am browsing through this forum for more than 3 weeks but not able to decide.
I am more inclined to videocon D2h as it is cheaper and also it has one active 3D channel(my TV supports 3D)
but a bit put off my the negative reviews about its PQ.

I am also thinking about Airtel and reliance also.So please suggest me the best one based on my needs.

Requirement:
1.Very good PQ and AQ for 42" TV
2.More tamil channels especially comedy channels Aditya and siripoli.
3.Apart from tamil channels,i watch cricket,tennis,ndtv good times,news channels and discovery turbo the most.
4.3D content will be welcome..

I myself was using tatasky sd for sometime and changed to d2h hd.

1. The hd channels' PQ is good and they offer more hd channels than tatasky.
2. They both are available. Adithya and siripoli and other tamil channels also.
3. They dont have ten cricket ( which is a disappointment for me ) which will be available only during india matches. Other than that, you have your regular sports channels. ESPN ( also available in hd ), STAR SPORTS, TEN SPORTS, NEO CRICKET, NEO SPORTS, STAR CRICKET ( also available in hd ) .
4. I only have LED for myself so im not sure about the 3d content.

https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/72246-videocon-d2h-hd-channels-pics/ You can view the screenshots of the hd channels by clicking the link.

I myself was using Tata Sky sd for sometime and changed to d2h hd.

1. The hd channels' PQ is good and they offer more hd channels than tatasky.
2. They both are available. Adithya and siripoli and other tamil channels also.
3. They dont have ten cricket ( which is a disappointment for me ) which will be available only during india matches. Other than that, you have your regular sports channels. ESPN ( also available in hd ), STAR SPORTS, TEN SPORTS, NEO CRICKET, NEO SPORTS, STAR CRICKET ( also available in hd ) .
4. I only have LED for myself so im not sure about the 3d content.

https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/72246-videocon-d2h-hd-channels-pics/ You can view the screenshots of the hd channels by clicking the link.

Thanks a lot Jaymin and vicky24.
Main reason i am more inclined to videocon D2h is because of the customer service and also the 3D channel.Do you get 5.1 sound in HD channels?
I will check with them for their lates offers.

Well, if u r putting weight on 3D channel, then remove that weight, and then do ur comparison. Coz 3D channel is a dud channel. They used to show some Magic show a few months back. And these days, its just the Wimbledon final over & over again. I dont know what content they intend to show in the future.But on that 5.1 ch sound......yes on the channels that support 5.1 channel sound, u get 5.1 channel sound. And on Star channels, which offer Dolby sound, if u want to get Dolby sound, u have to ensure that u have an S/PDIF cable.Experience is really good, no doubt, just that dont put unnecessary weight on 3D channel!

Well, if u r putting weight on 3D channel, then remove that weight, and then do ur comparison. Coz 3D channel is a dud channel. They used to show some Magic show a few months back. And these days, its just the Wimbledon final over & over again. I dont know what content they intend to show in the future.

But on that 5.1 ch sound......yes on the channels that support 5.1 channel sound, u get 5.1 channel sound. And on Star channels, which offer Dolby sound, if u want to get Dolby sound, u have to ensure that u have an S/PDIF cable.

Experience is really good, no doubt, just that dont put unnecessary weight on 3D channel!

Oh thank you very much.3D channel was the only thing that mainly pulled me into D2h.
Since most of the people are commenting that Airtel has the best PQ and AQ,i might look into AIRTEL also.
Have you compared PQ of D2h and AIRTEL?
Which one would you suggest among these 2?

Tata Sky HD is starting to suck.

1) There will not be any increase in the no. of HD channels in foreseeable future. (Lack of KU Transponders)
2) The quality of existing HD channels is getting poorer and poorer with extreme compression. You have to make sure that you sit at least a mile away from TV to not notice artifacts in picture.
3) You get random glitches/freezes/sound cutting out when in Dolby 5.1 mode while watching HD channels. ESPN HD is famous for that.
4) For reasons unknown, Tata Sky does not allow 5.1 Dolby Surround passthrough on HDMI cable.That's right. You will only get PCM stereo on HDMI. You need to buy an extra Optical cable and do some serious geeky settings on your receiver to get that much advertised 5.1 sound.
5) The set top box cost itself is a complete rip off (Unless you get some heavy discounted offer)

Buddy on that Dolby thing, even d2h doesnt give Dolby over HDMI. V too r required to buy S/PDIF.I wont comment on other things though, as i dont know abt TS much.

Tata Sky used to allow Dolby passthrough on HDMI till March or April. Then they released a firmware update which borked everything. Licensing issues perhaps.

I agree on the picture compression thing. The more content I watch, the more the compression hits you. An average user wouldn't notice, but folks like us who are exposed to good quality stuff, would know that what they are showing isn't even 720p most of the times.

@ Rock....V have users over here who have used both Airtel & D2h, and they havent noticed the differences. So i guess it shud be pretty much of acceptable quality. Still, u can have a check at major electronic stores where they plug various DTH services to their wide screen TVs.