• Views Views 7,875

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Airtel, Vodafone, Idea threaten to exit 3G — ibnlive.in.com — Readability

Major telecom firms Airtel, Vodafone and Idea have threatened to exit 3G services if the government does not approve their pact to provide intra-circle roaming. Bharti Airtel Chairman Sunil Mittal, Idea Cellular Chairman Kumar Birla and Vodafone CEO Vittorio Colao have written a joint letter to the Prime Minister. They want a refund of the 3G spectrum payments if intra-circle roaming is not allowed.

and they r very right to do so ..How can govt be so stupid and make such laws ..Its between companies how they wanna operate .. If they r using some companies 3G network and paying them .. then wht's the prob?

someone highlighted that the major problem was that companies were selling 3G plans in circles where they did not have 3G rights. that would probably be pushing the thing too far. but roaming licenses should not cause issues. especially considering these companies paid so much and they deserve to rent it out and make money from it.

and even if they r selling 3G plans in circles they did not have the rights .. then also it shouldn't be a prob ..They r taking the spectrum from the companies who have the rights in tht circle .. They can't allow their customers to switch to operator who provide 3G in tht circle ..Govt cannot make such policies which will drive the customers from one company to another .. I don't see any reason why companies have to pay cos of govt's idiotic policies ..

If they exit 3G business, what will happen to investment done, and amount they paid to govt to get spectrum? All waste?BTW I too feel operators are right in selling their spectrum to other operators so customers can benefit by not have to move to other operator.

doh. they are not going to do it. it is just a valid response to the government. you sold us something. now you are changing the terms and conditions. if this is how things are going to be, buy back the shit you sold us along and pay us interest on every single penny we have spent on it. if this goes to court, government probably is going to get their arse kicked.

The article says..

They want a refund of the 3G spectrum payments if intra-circle roaming is not allowed.

The letter asks for a refund of the auction payment with interest as well as compensation for all capital investments made in 3G.

They will be lucky to get their spectrum fee back and they r dreaming abt compensation and refund on capital investment 😀

that's thinking too far. government would find it hard to refund the 3G spectrum payments. matter would go to court and private companies would probably have a better legal team. looks like PC and the team are getting greedy and seeking more bribes. and this joint statement is in response to that. get the media and public support and kick arse.

What was govt's condition while selling 3G spectrum? Operator who bought that spectrum can sell it to other operators, who are not end customers?

they are not selling it. they are renting it. spectrum sharing for roaming is already done for calls and gprs/edge/2g. 3g should be no different.

----------

government is just annoyed because they did not have enough spectrum to sell it to more players to more money. they are not caring about the common man in the market. they like penalizing companies over trivial thing. and that money is never really used for public good.

i am not sure if you have heard about the Rs. 100 crore fine on Times Now... Rs 100 crore fine on Times Now is 'disproportionate', says Katju — timesofindia.indiatimes.com — Readability

i read an article recently in a newspaper about a new road being constructed to connect delhi and gurgaon. representative of the government body said that it too would have a toll charge. his excuse? why should people not pay for using the roads that are constructed. that made be pretty furious. let me post a link if i find it.

----------

The issue became a bone of contention between the ministry and the state's town and country planning department (DTCP), which prepares development plans. Finally, Haryana decided to go ahead with the SPR using state funding. "There is no question of any change in plan. The two roads will open on the expressway since we have notified the development plan and the roads are coming up as per the plan. How can you expect people to use roads without paying the toll?" said DTCP secretary S S Dhillon.

Haryana builds new roads, e-way users to pay tax — timesofindia.indiatimes.com — Readability

First of all Government is not selling spectrum. Do private operator allow to use spectrum for life time use? NO. Government giving the spectrum for certain period of time.You can say that company it self got spectrum on rent basis.Government doesn't oppose the 3G roaming agreement. It's only oppose the 3G service given to the customer in own circle by telecoms company which suppose to not have 3G license in that circle.

they are not selling it. they are renting it. spectrum sharing for roaming is already done for calls and gprs/edge/2g. 3g should be no different.

I feel its different from roaming. While in roaming, our mobile displays the name of operator whose network we are using when we are 'away' from 'home' network.
But some operators are actually selling 3G service in circle which they don't own spectrum under 'their' brand name. (Airtel is planning to start 3G in Maharashtra, while in Maharashtra only Vodafone, TATA and Idea have 3G license).
Anyways not sure what is problem with govt if operators want to share/rent/sell their spectrum (without any scam...)

I feel its different from roaming. While in roaming, our mobile displays the name of operator whose network we are using when we are 'away' from 'home' network.
But some operators are actually selling 3G service in circle which they don't own spectrum under 'their' brand name. (Airtel is planning to start 3G in Maharashtra, while in Maharashtra only Vodafone, TATA and Idea have 3G license).
Anyways not sure what is problem with govt if operators want to share/rent/sell their spectrum (without any scam...)

Operator are making syndicate. In future they just refuse to bid height in auction. Technically they merge their 3G service using back door.

I too feel that operator gave too much money for 3G. But this move can't be allowed.

This is between OP/GOV. and operator want their side decision.

When government make policy about free roaming (Incoming) operator oppose(even if you are using same operator in roaming).

yeap. mobile companies should have formed a cartel when 3G auction was announced. they should have ensured that none of them overpaid for the spectrum. they should have squeezed out the government.