Airtel, Vodafone, Idea threaten to exit 3G

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 7,870
not just refund of license fee. they are asking for reimbursement of capital expenditure incurred to roll out 3g along with interest !!! haha

ya...as if Govt. will refund them anything lol or if any of these companies would have refunded their customers the fixed charges that the customer has to pay to them even if proper service was never given 😀Payback is bich 😀

i doubt the T&C in the agreement has the option of "refund".BTW, this arrangement of 3g spectrum sharing was pretty obvious when the auctioning was going on. for ex: when Idea didn't bid for mumbai circle,they had made statements which indirectly referred to 3g sharing

i doubt the T&C in the agreement has the option of "refund".

BTW, this arrangement of 3g spectrum sharing was pretty obvious when the auctioning was going on. for ex: when Idea didn't bid for mumbai circle,they had made statements which indirectly referred to 3g sharing

And I doubt the T&C had a option in it for the Govt to change the T&C as & when they like... The govt is wrong in this & if the companies go to court then the govt will get its arse handed to them on a platter zzz...

i am all for "the govt to get its arse handed to them on a platter" but the big question is "will the Cos sue the govt"?

why would they not if the government continues to play hardball? these companies have invested SHITLOAD of money for the 3G spectrum and at current 3G user base they are unlikely to recover the money for years to come.

BTW, this arrangement of 3g spectrum sharing was pretty obvious when the auctioning was going on. for ex: when Idea didn't bid for mumbai circle,they had made statements which indirectly referred to 3g sharing

NOT CORRECT.

I can say this because i worked for Idea Mumbai last year when the auctions were going on.
Idea Mumbai did bid for Mumbai Circle ...but at a particular price it did not make sense - Cost Benefit Analysis and they lost the bid.

Well, this article says IDEA even did not bid for Mumbai & delhi

Forbes India Magazine - Sanjeev Aga: His Breakthrough Idea

1) I was reporting directly to the CIRCLE HEAD of Mumbai....so believe me 🙂
2) Do you know how many rounds the bidding went ...and the format of the bidding ?

Overall in this context - i think government is right, Technically - Idea should not be allowed to sell 3G plan/services in Mumbai. But Idea Maharashtra user who has taken 3G ...should be able to use the services in Mumbai ....using Voda/Airtel network

Hummm, firstly this is nothing new. The day TRAI and DOT objected this violation, all 3 operators had threatened to go legal and will ask for exit. Unfortunately that TOI link is not working which is posted in another thread. They had 1st threatened TRAI/DOT, then wrote letter to telecom minister (wahi apna chor Sibal) but didn't got any support and assurance from them. Instead Sibal patted TRAI concerns and asked Telcos to follow TRAI rules.

So, finally they had wrote their concern to the Highest Authority of India , Prime Minister of India. But in this unfortunate scenario when 2G scam trail is going on , even PM is incapable to intervene and provide any alternate solution.

Govt Legal wing had already given a nod to TRAI/DOT allegations . So, No refund and nothing gonna happen. Telcos even know these things but they are taking these steps to make some pressure around TRAI and Govt bodies.

Telcos are saying that they are providing 3G services according to Unified Access Service License (UASL). Lets see what UASL says:

Unified Access Services operators are free to provide, within their area of operation, services which cover collection, carriage, transmission and delivery of voice and/or non-voice messages over Licensee�s network by deploying circuit and/or packet switched equipment.

Further, the Licensee an also provide Voice Mail, Audiotex services, Video Conferencing, Videotex, E-Mail , Closed User Group (CUG) as Value Added Services over its network to the subscribers falling within its service area on non-discriminatory basis. The Licensee cannot provide any service except as mentioned above, which require a separate licence. However, an intimation before providing any other value added service has to be sent to the Licensor and TRAI.

An Unified Access Services licensee can provide wireline as well as wireless services in a service area. Wireless services include Full Mobile, Limited Mobile and Fixed Wireless services. The licensee can also provide various Value Added Services . A restriction for authentication of subscriber terminal has been placed. In case of Limited Mobility facility based on Short Distance Charging Area Linked Numbering Scheme. However, same facility without any restriction can be availed by adopting numbering plan for Cellular Mobile Services and using Home Zone Tariff Schemes.

But UASL also says that they cannot provide those services which require separate licence. And this is were Govt legal Bodies are backing. Also, DoT's Wireless Planning and Coordination (WPC) Wing, which keeps an eye on industry players had also said that the 3G inter-operator arrangements between the Licensee should not be treated as roaming arrangement. It should be treated as sharing of spectrum which is not permitted under the agreements signed with the DoT.

So, There has been a huge lapse while making 3G Roaming Policy duse to which this scenario has arisen.

On the one hand Sibal says 2G roaming is to go soon .on the other they are disallowing 3G roaming amongst different providers.It seems this is being done to benefit BSNL.A recent survey shows that Idea is the biggest gainer so far as MNP is concerned,so it seems the main reason why TRAI,DOT has not allowed Idea(in turn Airtel)to start 3G services in Punjab despite the fact that Idea has been alloted 3G in Punjab,is that they are afraid of Idea !

This is the reason why Telcos are so furious regarding termination of Intra Circle Roaming agreement: