Nokia Lumia 900

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 7,278
US is mostly covered by 4G/LTE, Europe/UK operators are also in testing phase. Many big operators from Middle East, Africa, Australia are planning to start 4G by 2012 end. I am sure by 2012 end we (in India) could have some significant development in 4G.
I doubt any existing operators could launch 4G due to their investment in 3G, but Reliance (RIL) could surely start service in 4G by 2012 end.

reliance is already scheduled to launch their lte network for a while now. airtel would have to launch their own network too because they have paid for the lte spectrum. it would be available through data cards and modems etc. not very clear about if it would feature mobile support. in any case, you might be able to buy a wireless lte modem and keep it in your backpocket or something like that and use wifi on your smartphone to access the web. 😛

this is similar to how verizon and sprint supported ipad. they offered it with wireless modems connecting to their 3G/4G networks!

Nokia ready to support LTE technology in India - Tech News - IBNLive
Mobile handset manufacturer Nokia today said the company was ready to support Long-Term Evolution (LTE) technology when it arrives in India, a company official said.
"Nokia is ready to provide handsets which would be LTE-enabled in the Indian market," Jasmeet Gandhi, head (services marketing) of Nokia India said.

Sooner or later they will, and other like Samsung/HTC would do as well 🙂

i do not know the technicalities but i assume that LTE can be of different types and i am not sure if the american type would match the type being launched by operators here.

also... reliance has a pan india license. airtel i believe has licenses for only four circles. and it is not clear whether they would start offering LTE along with 3G on smartphones right away.

the amount of money invested in 3G means that LTE is unlikely to become a priority for airtel right away. and reliance of course cannot offer LTE on smartphones because they do not have the mobile services rights.

i could of course be completely wrong. 😀 but i do not see LTE phones to be usable in india in the near future.

That is true. The band auctioned in India for LTE is of 2.3 GHz and that in US is mostly 700 Mhz and 2.6 Ghz in Europe. Also, the one in India is of TDD type (though its not an issue rather a plus). I have not seen a single device supporting 2.3 GHz until now and its unlikely to be there in market soon as 0.7, 0.9, 1.8, 2.6 GHz bands are used in areas where LTE is deployed until now and 2.5 Ghz is very recently auctioned in China. It will be too costly for manufacturers to produce chip sets which support all those bands or at least those which are most widely deployed so forget about having seamless LTE connectivity around the world on single LTE capable device!

Lumia 900 may launch in UK by June 2012 - Nokia Lumia 900
Its first news after US launch. May be by June it would come to other markets as well...

heh. from what i heard, some of the initial units had a network connectivity bug and Nokia is offering a patch along with a 100 dollar rebate making the phone free for the customers. in fact, if you get the device before april 21, it is essentially free on contract in the US market. and they called iPhone and android devices going through a beta testing phase.

units had a network connectivity bug and Nokia is offering a patch along with a 100 dollar rebate making the phone free for the customers.

:upset: