3G USB Modem Unlocked - compatible with Ubuntu

nishantgandhi

ISP
Airtel
So I'm looking to replace my (stupid) Tata Photon+ data card with a more reliable and faster 3G data card.Since I do a lot of road trips, which takes me to many non-metro and Tier 3/4/5 locations, I feel a service provider like MTNL would suit me best, since they have have BSNL's infrastructure to latch on to. Correct me if I'm wrong.Anyway, I think it would be cheaper to buy an unlocked device and plonk in any SIM that I want. So I have discovered these USB modems and I need advice on which is best and also where to buy (Ebay?)1. Huawei E17502. Huawei E1732 (or E173 - what is the difference anyway?)3. Huawei UMG1831Please suggest keeping in mind that I want a modem compatible with Win 7 Starter AS WELL AS Ubuntu.

I have experience with Huawei umg1831 and huawei E173. Both these are compatible with ubuntu (you need to install usb-mode switch package though). My huawei UMG1831 lasted only 10 months before failing. I have just bought huawei E173. In my opinion, the costlier Huawei UMG1831 (21Mbps/2.1Mbps) is unnecesary because, most BSNL networks support only 7.2Mbps. Huawei E173 (7.2Mbps/2.1Mbps)) should be enough. I bought Huawei E173 from a computer shop in chennai for Rs.1650, while ebay has pieces for Rs.1530. But it is safer to buy from a local shop because they give warranty, unlike ebay sellers.

----------

by the way, if you latch on to a 2G network, you'll get 236.4kbps speed for EGPRS(multislot class 10) and 56kbps for GPRS(multislot class 10)

Huawei E1750 is also equally good. With a maximum 7.2 mbps capability, you can get 4-5 mbps easily and in MDMA you will see occasionally 400-500 KBPS.The only advantage of 21 mbps is that you may get say 10 mbps if at all BSNL /MTNL enables say 14 mbps towers.

Huawei E1750 is the basic model.I'm looking to buy Huawei E1732 at Rs 1250 on Ebay. It's the same what Idea sells as NetSetter, however it is an unlocked one. At Idea store it retails for Rs 1500.I could not find any notable difference between Huawei E1732 and Huawei E173.And even I feel going to Huawei UMG1831 is an unnecessary expenditure right.

Huawei E1750 is the basic model.

I'm looking to buy Huawei E1732 at Rs 1250 on Ebay. It's the same what Idea sells as NetSetter, however it is an unlocked one. At Idea store it retails for Rs 1500.

I could not find any notable difference between Huawei E1732 and Huawei E173.

And even I feel going to Huawei UMG1831 is an unnecessary expenditure right.

There are Lot's of false claim about unlocking Huwai E1732. Some one says that, it is temporary solution.

Before purchasing kindly google it. E1732 is nothing but E173 with custom firmware (hard to unlock permanently).

There are Lot's of false claim about unlocking Huwai E1732. Some one says that, it is temporary solution.

Before purchasing kindly google it. E1732 is nothing but E173 with custom firmware (hard to unlock permanently).
Sorry I didnt understand - so are you saying that I should NOT buy Huwai E1732?

Read this

[Q] Regarding Huawei E1732 3G USB Modem Unlocking. - xda-developers

----------

Read all user comment in this

huawei e 1732 modem unlock | free trics
Read. And there are multiple sites which show various unlock options for 1732 (e.g. http://www.modemunlock.com/unlocking-idea-3g-net-setter-huawei-e1732-100-working.html and http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Huawei+E1732+unlocking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US😱fficial&client=firefox-a)

But you still didnt clarify your original post - which one should I NOT buy - 173 or 1732?

1732 - Just avoid to buy it.
But WHY?

It has got a 1 year warranty (as against 6 months for the 173), there are unlock solutions (anyway, the Ebay listing is an unlocked one), its a newer model and it's cheaper.

Then why not buy it?

Just read all user comment given in that page link (date of that comment is also mention).If this modem do not work as like you want, then what?It's all your decision to buy or not.

Just read all user comment given in that page link (date of that comment is also mention).

If this modem do not work as like you want, then what?

It's all your decision to buy or not.
Dude. Control. No need to increase font size or add colors. It's akin to shouting on the internet. We all know how to read normal sized font.

FYI - I bought the modem and it works fine.

Dude. Control. No need to increase font size or add colors. It's akin to shouting on the internet. We all know how to read normal sized font.

FYI - I bought the modem and it works fine.

I was wrong. This modem works perfectly with all sim. I just got answer from ebay seller.

Let us know the performance of this modem and one more thing, Does this modem work for USSD service (Like *123#...)?

I am also planing to buy this modem. Kindly give me product link from where you purchased.