Vodafone 3G Mumbai compared to Sydney Australia

• Thread starter Thread starter augh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,335

augh

ISP
ADSL
Some notes about Vodafone and a recent trip to Mumbai, India.

On a recent (Sept 2011) 3 week trip to Mumbai I decided to go with Vodafone's India's 3G data plan, this included 500Mb data, 500 local and national minutes and 500 local and national SMSs with 1 month validity for Rs 500 (A$ 10). I was warned by friends in Mumbai that 3G coverage was spotty and I would end up on GPRS data most times. This did not bother me too much as I did not expect to need 3G speeds and this plan offered better value than their GPRS data plan. Luckily I discovered in time that GPRS data is charged separately over and above the Rs 500 if I used any GPRS data even if I had not exceeded by 3G data allowance. I immediately put my phone (HTC Desire HD) into 3G data only mode.

I have been using Vodafone Australia's 3G network in Sydney for nearly a year now and was generally happy with the service so expected to get similar performance in Mumbai.

What s surprise...
Activated the service and ran SpeedTest, 7.6M Down, 2.1M Up. Wow!!
https://www.speedtest.net/android/83041655.png
OK there was a cell tower just across the road from where I was so that could explain it and SpeedTest does not really tell you overall performance. But over the next few days the great performance was confirmed by other means,
Web pages and maps loaded quickly without the delay I had been accustomed to in Sydney.
My communications apps Fring (with SIP activated) and Skype stayed connected at all times, while in Sydney I often find them not connected and have to re-connect.
I was able to make clear SIP calls (using my Australian VOIP account) from Mumbai to Australian numbers while travelling in a car. and I did a couple of Skype video calls with friends overseas with excellent video quality (for a 4.3inch screen)

and coverage...
no problems at all, not once did I lose data connectivity when I needed it and while I was mostly in the main city area I did do one trip to the outskirts to a beach side resort (Manori) where I was just getting 1 bar reception but data stayed connected and I was able to browse and use mail without issues.

Vodafone Mumbai had given me a feel of what 3G can really be like and I now understand all the criticism aimed at Vodafone Australia's 3G network..

Do note however that Vodafone India's 3G offering is fairly recent and given the negative local impression about coverage and the fact that 3G and GPRS data is charged separately most people in Mumbai are on GPRS data plans and the 3G network has a fairly light load, then again given Mumbai's population, even a small percentage using the service can be quite a large number of people.

One issue with Vodafone India's 3G offering is that they do not directly provide usage details during the the month and even customer care in unable to help. You have to wait till you get your bill before you know your actual usage. I used 3G Watchdog which gave me a count that pretty much matched by bill.

Do Vodafone just needs to provide some sort of live usage data and the service will be top class.

The only reason you get such superb speed is because like 3G globally failed , it had been failed in India too. Its so costly that hardly there would be 5 users on a particular cell site. So getting speed of 7.2 is obvious. But its good that Vodafone Mumbai is good and fulfilling your requirement better than Australia.

Some notes about Vodafone and a recent trip to Mumbai, India.

I have been using Vodafone Australia's 3G network in Sydney for nearly a year now and was generally happy with the service so expected to get similar performance in Mumbai.

Vodafone just needs to provide some sort of live usage data and the service will be top class.

Were you using post paid or prepaid ? (Vodafone Australia 3G )
If prepaid how many A$ for say 2 GB/5GB/10 GB?
If post paid, is it combined with 3G voice minutes+ data pack or how much 3g data generally costs?
(A$ is quite strong so it might be expensive but just for comaprison)
I use pre paid 3G data in Singapore,Hong Kong,China and U.K when I travel)

Vodafone India post paid does not give usage .But prepaid data usage can check any time *111#.
Airtel and Voda 3G are the best in South. Reliance might be better in North India.
https://www.speedtest.net

If u have 3G plan .. then GPRS data usage is included in tht ..So if u have 500MB 3G plan .. then it doesn't matter if u use 500MB on 3G or Edge or GPRS ... U won't be charged separately ..Vodafone 3G service in Delhi also is quite good ..

The only reason you get such superb speed is because like 3G globally failed , it had been failed in India too

3G Failed??? How? why?

I don't consider it fail. Since Vodafone launched 3G in my circle, I am enjoying it, and don't even feel to go back to GPRS/EDGE for browsing on my mobile. (I use 3G only on my mobile)

3G Failed??? How? why?

I don't consider it fail. Since Vodafone launched 3G in my circle, I am enjoying it, and don't even feel to go back to GPRS/EDGE for browsing on my mobile. (I use 3G only on my mobile)

Check this out:

3G failure: Users shy away from services slated to revolutionise mobile experience - Economic Times

Dismal speeds and patchy connectivity top the list of reasons why 3G has failed to gather speed in India. A significant majority of customer complaints relate to 3G experience being similar to EDGE and GPRS on 2G networks forcing consumers who have activated this facility to exit.

----------

Similar Scene was in US:

The Failure of 3G Hurts Apple and Its Competition - TIME

I was talking about individual experience. Even operators agree that only 10-19% customers are satisfied with 3G service. I may be 1 of those few lucky ones 🙂

Honestly speaking Mobile Internet doesn't require 3G speed. Existing EDGE speed and plans are sufficient to fulfill my requirements. But we need high Speed Internet on Desktops and laptops.

and I did a couple of Skype video calls with friends overseas with excellent video quality (for a 4.3inch screen).
I had thought that Skype audio/video calls are not allowed over 3G network. In fact, I had tried it when I had Airtel 3G connection, a fried tried calling on Skype, he heard ringing, but I did not on my phone!

My phone signs me out of Skype after sometime even while in wi-fi.

Well when it comes to 3G speeds from Vodafone they never exceed 250kbps no matter where i am in Mumbai. I have tested their network speeds in Dadar (East) and in Andheri (West) and both show a maximum download speed of 256kbps. In fact most of the times i do come across a maximum of 150kbps on my Windows Phone (post the mango update).I have always found the network to be stronger in town than in the suburbs. When in Andheri West the phone is usually hunting for 3G towers which kills my (already puny 1200 Mah) phone battery. 🙂Its sad because Reliance does offer way higher speeds for the same price (A friend of mine came down from Brazil was roaming on a prepaid reliance card and got upto 800kbps at all times). Vodafone has excellent plans and good customer service which is why they manage to survive in the suburbs even with their scanty 3G network. I was completely disappointed with their speeds which is why i decided to switch back to edge after using it for about 5-6 months. (the cons of being an early adopter I must say) 🙂Edge is cheaper than 3G but again, is practically useless if i connect my laptop or use EDGE services on my phone in the local trains for example. Guess it has to do with the metal bodies of the trains as to why its hard to get good data speeds and the fact that I'm moving at 60-80kms/hr while traveling. Will be shifting to Vodafone 3G again to check if things have changed. Wish me luck 😉P.S.: I'm not an irate customer. I have been using Vodafone from the time i purchased my first cellphone (Black n White). Was simply disappointed with Vodafone's 3G data services during their entry into the 3G service (i expected better considering they are world players in the same)

Well, honestly I have no problems with Vodafone's 3G. I have it everywhere I travel in Mumbai and its amazing.
I just did a test today, and it seems like Vodafone's network in Mumbai slowly improving to amazing standards.

Unfortunately, I have wanted to switch multiple times because of abuse and harassment from the CC Executives, but the only thing that stops me from shifting is that nobody else in Mumbai provides as good a 3G service as Vodafone.

Here's a screenshot of today's test done at Breach Candy, Mumbai.

Hello Ad1tya,

We regret any inconvenience caused. Do email us at vodafonecare.mum@vodafone.com for any assistance in future, we'll do our best to help.

Regards,
Vodafone Customer Care, Mumbai
Where did you read any "inconvenience" mentioned in his post!!?? 😀
He only complained about abuses by CC!