• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,391

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,

Looks like the hardware prices have gone up in Mumbai after Diwali as told by a few hardware shopkeerps around the Laminton Road area to me. I am looking for two things basically.

1. 250/500 GB SATA Hard drive for desktop
2. 1/2 GB DDR2 RAM for desktop (my pc is old that is why I need DDR2 RAM)

I have been quoted 4000 rs for 250 GB and 5000 rs for 500 GB SATA HDD and 550 rs for 1 GB DDR2 RAM (Dynet brand). Can any one please guide me as to what the prices of the above should be like? I have checked this site.

http://deltapage.com/

Thanks.

HDD prices nowadays are insane because of the Thailand floods affecting WD's manufacturing and consequently there being a shortage.Just a month back, for 4000 Rs. you could have got a 2TB HDD.RAM price is fine, but spend a bit more and buy a reputed brand like Corsair, GSKill or Transcend/Kingston at the least.If possible, wait for a couple of months to buy the HDD. Prices will definitely fall.

because of the Thasiland floods affecting WD's manufacturing and consequently there being a shortage.

for 4000 Rs. you could have got a 2TB HDD.

RAM price is fine, but spend a bit more and buy a reputed brand like Corsair, GSKill or Transcend/Kingston at the least.

wait for a couple of months to buy the HDD. Prices will definitely fall.

Ok, so this is the reason behind the sudden rice in the costs. Thanks. I never knew that. But do you think the deltapage.com is a reliable site? Thanks

Yes it is. its quite old. but they are based out of Chennai AFAIK. for mumbai prices, use theitwares.com - that guy has a shop in lamington road also.

I read on a bloomberg/nytimes article that HDD prices are expected to remain high for a period of one year, based on the heavy shortfall caused by Thailand floods.

^^ yeah i have bght a lot of stuff from itwares. hez a nice guy n rates r decent enuf.

Prices are expected to remain same for around 6 months. Only WD facility affected, Seagate just using this time to make some money, their manufacturing is not affected. This is said by my relative who works as a director at Western Digital.

Yes, only WD factory has been affected, other companies are just trying to cash in illegally by creating artificial shortage. But hopefully the prices will come down sooner than expected. Fingers crossed.

----------

Can any one please tell me as to how much I should be paying for 1/2 GB DDR2 RAM for a 2 yr old pc of mine? Thanks.

talk abt putting all your eggs in one basket, some major dc's are already taking time in deploying new servers , according to all correction in prices after march only. and am running out of HDD space 😕

Yup i found out today the hard way. Bought a Hitachi 1 TB HDD last month for Rs.2650 and today when i went to buy one more i had to pay Rs.5408. If only i bought two then could have saved myself some money. The shopkeeper even told me that they are being asked now to only give 1 HDD with new PC and not sell to ppl trying to buy just HDD till the crysis is over

Yup i found out today the hard way. Bought a Hitachi 1 TB HDD last month for Rs.2650 and today when i went to buy one more i had to pay Rs.5408.

Oh my god, I can't believe this. Thank for sharing your real story.