DataOne

• Thread starter Thread starter quadramble
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,680

quadramble

BSNL has launched broadband services on January 14 and is offering speeds of 256 Kbps at Rs 500 per month. The company has kept a target of reaching 1 million subscribers over the next couple of years. The user experiences are welcome here.

The largest telecom company of the country has finally come up with the broadband services at Rs.500/month. But how is it working for us all?

Improvements in my Dataone connection. Astonishing, unexpected improvements in the speed (but never the service). I am getting more than 30KB/s in downloads alone! Thats more than twice of what I used to get in AirTel 128Kbps. Fair, but there is a problem from July. The offer for all subscribers who register for the service before March is that they would not need to pay anything extra for additional downloads (After the first 1GB limit). But after that, it going to be problematic for most of the users. A broadband user using P2P, would do with nothing less than 500MB of download a night. Yesterday, it was my highest with more than 700MB with my new 256Kbps line at top speed. In this kind of usage, I can end up paying Rs.1,13,906.00, if I use DataOne round the clock! Although, this is not the kind of situation for most typical internet users, who would use the net for checking mails, browsing HTML which wouldn't eat up much of the bandwidth / transfer limits, many others are in a problem. Those who are tempted to stretch their broadband limits and start downloading large files like media and use P2P would end up in big trouble. My kind of usage would definitely generate a bill of nothing less Rs.30,000 in the current tariff that DataOne offers. I hope BSNL officials turn realistic and come up with better plans. RegardsManikandan. N

Originally posted by quadramble@Feb 22 2005, 09:05 PM
A broadband user using P2P, would do with nothing less than 500MB of download a night. Yesterday, it was my highest with more than 700MB with my new 256Kbps line at top speed. In this kind of usage, I can end up paying Rs.1,13,906.00, if I use DataOne round the clock!

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of downloads are we talking here? Video/movie files? Anything else? Maybe coz i never got to do P2P (eMule?), i'm clueless.

For a great part of the last week, I was bumming around playing 128kbps streams from obscure radio channels on the net. After reading your post i realized that i'm consuming almost an MB every minute, and my package allows only 1000 such precious minutes per month, after which each minute would be charged Rs.1.50.

Upon this realization, I respectfully switched off the streams and turned on my CD player instead 🙂 To slightly tweak the quote from Spiderman: With great speed comes great responsibility 🙂

A lot of who have broaband(I mean proper broadband- 1.5mbit+) setup servers. I know(and myself) have done 5GB up/down per day many years back. For about 10 months, I used to d.l/u.l 1 GB a day.If you check movie sizes these days, it is 1.4-2.5 GB per movie so you better have a good d/l speed to avoid getting frustrated. Songs are downloadable even on 128k. Shoutcast radio speed can go to 192-256k(rare). Shoutcast tv is 64k- 512k. But since torrent sites have closed down, its irc now.Gaming uses a lot of bandwidth but you better have low pings. Airtel has pings in the 300ms range so its not that good. Let's see if bsnl will be better(I doubt it though). There are too many hops from here to the us. When you signed up for bsnl, didn't you read that d/ls after the limit are free till june 31st? Dude, read the damn brochure.

hi guys,having a flabbergasting experience with BSNL dataone broadband,i am not getting enuf speed ,even slower than my dial up.Called up the bsnl officials,they don't know anything,i am running xp after having downloading the requisite software from the calcutta telephone's site.guys any suggestion.Please help me,its very exasperating

WTF? You have to d/l software to use bsnl's dsl? Any other bsnl user, please confirm this. What is the OS requirement for this software? My bsnl office did not ask what OS I am using when I signed up so if I tell them I am using Solaris 8, what are they going to do? Ugh, I f**king detest isp's who require you to install some stupid software.

Originally posted by bugatti@Feb 23 2005, 05:12 PM
When you signed up for bsnl, didn't you read that d/ls after the limit are free till june 31st? Dude, read the damn brochure.
[snapback]6202[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dude, thanks for the insight about broadband download possibilities 🙂 I dont foresee downloading movies, but I did try setting up a shoutcast / icecast server, and my Hathway connection wouldn't allow it because of blocked TCP ports. However i'm able to play streams of upto 192kbps.

Yes, I didnt sign up for BSNL as i've been using cable internet for over an year and didnt want to change the setup. 🙂

Originally posted by bugatti@Feb 24 2005, 12:20 AM
WTF? You have to d/l software to use bsnl's dsl? Any other bsnl user, please confirm this. What is the OS requirement for this software? My bsnl office did not ask what OS I am using when I signed up so if I tell them I am using Solaris 8, what are they going to do? Ugh, I f**king detest isp's who require you to install some stupid software.
[snapback]6206[/snapback]
[/quote]

i didn't download any dialer in my win xp. It worked with windows dialer. Even the modem they gave me never came with any driver. Its connected via ethernet port to my pc.

Originally posted by antigravity@Feb 23 2005, 11:32 PM
hi guys,
having a flabbergasting experience with BSNL dataone broadband,i am not getting enuf speed ,even slower than my dial up.Called up the bsnl officials,they don't know anything,
i am running xp after having downloading the requisite software from the calcutta telephone's site.guys any suggestion.
Please help me,its very exasperating
[snapback]6203[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had the same probem at the beggining.

the problem was with the wiring..... the telephone instruments (and any other parallel voice lines) should be connected only after the splitter.

the problem was with the wiring..... the telephone instruments (and any other parallel voice lines) should be connected only after the splitter.
[snapback]6226[/snapback]

so what shud i do, i have got the wiring correct,shud i disconnect and then again connect those ones.the guyz who installed they knew nothing and they were asking me to connect those ones.

regarding the software,its PPPOE098.exe which i got from the calcuttatelephoes site,its not necessary in xp,u can get it by connection wizard also.

Originally posted by quadramble@Feb 24 2005, 09:16 PM

[snapback]6226[/snapback]

so what shud i do, i have got the wiring correct,shud i disconnect and then again connect those ones.the guyz who installed they knew nothing and they were asking me to connect those ones.

regarding the software,its PPPOE098.exe which i got from the calcuttatelephoes site,its not necessary in xp,u can get it by connection wizard also.
[snapback]6233[/snapback]
[/quote]

its simple. instruct the line man to do the wiring like this.

1. The main cable (and the first entry into your premises) should be connected to the splitter input.

2. The modem should be connected from one output of the splitter marked "ADSL"

3. All other telephone instrument, parallel lines, EPABX should be connected thru the other output of the splitter marked "PHONE".

Originally posted by quadramble@Mar 2 2005, 06:54 AM
its simple. instruct the line man to do the wiring like this.

1. The main cable (and the first entry into your premises) should be connected to the splitter input.

2. The modem should be connected from one output of the splitter marked "ADSL"

3. All other telephone instrument, parallel lines, EPABX should be connected thru the other output of the splitter marked "PHONE".
[snapback]6309[/snapback]
[/quote]

One question, When is BSNL Launching the Broadband connection for Chandigarh Home Users?

Originally posted by adymate@Mar 10 2005, 11:30 AM
One question, When is BSNL Launching the Broadband connection for Chandigarh Home Users?
[snapback]6486[/snapback]
[/quote]

Call 24 hours helpline number: 1600 424 1600 and ask them