• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5,649

IndianMascot

Addicts
ISP
Reliance, Tata Photon + , MTNL 3G Jadoo
Trai proposal may result in free calls - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

Tariffs had to be more than Rs.0.20 per minute,” the Trai official said. If this basic cost is removed, telcos may eventually make voice calls free, earning all their revenue from data services, the official said.

These two are always opposing good things:

“The move is being vehemently opposed by incumbent telcos like Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Essar as they net around Rs.300-400 crore a year due to this charge. They use this money to subsidize on-net calls on their network as well as a leverage tool against newer, smaller operators,” this person said.

This could be both good and bad.In NZ, calls within the local calling area (landline) are free BY LAW, but the monthly rentals paid for the lines are quite high. Mobile tariffs are also huge - the cheapest is about equal to Rs8.5/minute for the same network, but Rs17/minute to other networks.If calls became free, expect there to be monthly rental (even on prepaid) just for the privilege of keeping the account & number active.

Absolutely correct Mr. MG . In no ways Telcos gonna give away the hardcore revenue which they are getting without much efforts.

I am very happy with current pay per second tariffs. Nothing can beat that. Not even free calls.

We need standard speeds in the name of broadband, call rates are fine :fatigue:

Currently I am paying 198Rs inclusive of taxes for MTNL to MTNL free.I just hope this new proposal does not increase this tariff

This could be both good and bad.

In NZ, calls within the local calling area (landline) are free BY LAW, but the monthly rentals paid for the lines are quite high. Mobile tariffs are also huge - the cheapest is about equal to Rs8.5/minute for the same network, but Rs17/minute to other networks.

If calls became free, expect there to be monthly rental (even on prepaid) just for the privilege of keeping the account & number active.

Are the numbers of mobile operators similar to India?

Consider the level to which the service will degrade.Even now when calls are priced a nice amount still most telecom operators are struggling to keep up against the network traffic.If calls become free expect having to try 5-6times to connect a call.

Consider the level to which the service will degrade.

Even now when calls are priced a nice amount still most telecom operators are struggling to keep up against the network traffic.
If calls become free expect having to try 5-6times to connect a call.

Thats again a point. Remember when Reliance launched free calls to reliance, they charged Rs 440 and that too on intra circle level. Network had become too congested. So now if they introduce All Network free then Rentals would be touching sky, still people would be opting it like insane and will contribute full on in congesting the network.

No free calls! Now most of people don't have time to talk with person sitting desides. After free calls, I guess people will always talk on mobiles 😀But I wish they give some offers like for Rs 200 unlimited local calls (with FUP).BTW after 1 India 1 circle proposal by TRAI (or DoT), definition of local calls would also change?

Yes, Ofcourse the definition will automatically change. In recent days TRAI had made many recommendations. Lets hope good ones gt implemented soon.