Vodafone broadband - it is a joke in rural areas

• Thread starter Thread starter knvn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,804

knvn

ISP
BSNL
As a back-up for my BSNL broadband (which is excellent in speed, except for occasional breakdowns!), I decided to go for a broadband stick. I live in a rural village in Kerala. The Vodafone ministore promised excellent speed and satisfactory service and I shelled out Rs.1900/- (against their published rate of Rs.1,600) to buy the Vodafone broadband stick. I was getting into a trap! I had opted for Post-paid service at a monthly subscription of Rs.199/- with download limit of 2.5GB. However, to my horror, I was unable to even open the generic Google gmail and access my mail box! Repeated complaints to Vodafone (in writing!!!) elicited anxious response and promise to rectify my complaint - even after 6 months, things stand where it started. I kept on paying monthly fee and my log will reveal that data traffic to my PC would not exceed 100 MB each month - the fact the service is so bad that I won't even attempt connecting it to my PC. Last month, I changed my plan to pre-paid with a minimum monthly subscription of Rs.35/-. I sent a very angry and sarcastic mail to Vodafone last week to see what would they come up with - my anxiety was unwarranted, Vodafone has not cared to reply to my mail.Fair warning to the innocent village dwellers - do not get trapped into Vodafone. I am now holding a 'broadband' stick which is not of any use and I have no way to surrender the connection and get a refund.... so goodbye to the payments (should I say, 'donations') to Vodafone....

a) Why did you pay 1900 against the advertised price of 1600b) Do you have a 3G or even EDGE network in your areac) Did you take a demo before purchase?d) Why not put the connection in "safe custody" atleast while it wasnt working?

a) Why did you pay 1900 against the advertised price of 1600

b) Do you have a 3G or even EDGE network in your area

c) Did you take a demo before purchase?

d) Why not put the connection in "safe custody" atleast while it wasnt working?

The brief answers are:
a) At that initial stage, the dealer 'glib talk' seemed fair to me and as I was eager to get an alternative option (my BSNL connection had cable problems then...), I decided to pay the extra 300 without getting into an argument. I must admit, I was ok with that extra assuming that I was getting a viable alternative (that turned out to be the opposite eventually though!).
b) No 3G; EDGE, not too sure (I do find guys carrying mobiles with internet facility, but I am no big fan of net on mobiles, so did not question these guys closely).
c) Demo? You must be joking. I did ask the dealer to give me a working stick for demo from my home (with promise of full deposit upfront, to be returnable if the demo did not work to my satisfaction) but that request was flatly refused - 'Buy it, there are many who use the service well'.
d) 'Safe custody'? Does Vodafone offer this facility. I will find out.

Vodafone is aware of my problems - got calls from their Cochin office and then from local office and also from the on-road engineer. I invited all of them to come to my location and test the stick. They all promised 'action' to rectify, but all those promises are apparently forgotten as soon as the call ended.

----------

a) Why did you pay 1900 against the advertised price of 1600

b) Do you have a 3G or even EDGE network in your area

c) Did you take a demo before purchase?

d) Why not put the connection in "safe custody" atleast while it wasnt working?
The brief answers are:a) At that initial stage, the dealer 'glib talk' seemed fair to me and as I was eager to get an alternative option (my BSNL connection had cable problems then...), I decided to pay the extra 300 without getting into an argument. I must admit, I was ok with that extra assuming that I was getting a viable alternative (that turned out to be the opposite eventually though!).b) No 3G; EDGE, not too sure (I do find guys carrying mobiles with internet facility, but I am no big fan of net on mobiles, so did not question these guys closely).c) Demo? You must be joking. I did ask the dealer to give me a working stick for demo from my home (with promise of full deposit upfront, to be returnable if the demo did not work to my satisfaction) but that request was flatly refused - 'Buy it, there are many who use the service well'.d) 'Safe custody'? Does Vodafone offer this facility. I will find out.Vodafone is aware of my problems - got calls from their Cochin office and then from local office and also from the on-road engineer. I invited all of them to come to my location and test the stick. They all promised 'action' to rectify, but all those promises are apparently forgotten as soon as the call ended.

Safe Custody must be available with Vodafone bcoz almost all operators have this facility

The data card they sold to you must be Voda (GTE) 3570z.

It is not locked and it is 3.6 mbps capable.
I have it and used it with BSNL 3G and Voda 3G etc in chennai,hyderabad and have got max up to 3.2 mbps.

I bought this data card +pre paid sim -when voda 3G free trial started in chennai and used free 3G for almost a month.

But now this 3.6 mbps data card has been put in storage as I have 7.2 mbps card and get average 3 to 4 mbps speed in Airtel 3g or Voda 3G.

All voda store/mini store lie and try to sell you data card+ post paid connection (with a gprs package not 3G package b'cos 2.5 gb usage in 3G will cost rs 750 minimum)

The reason for pathetic speed is your area tower (all GSM providers share tower ) is not even Edge enabled or signal reception is weak in your home as kerala has lot of trees.

Vodafone edge indeed gives 150 kbps to 180 kbps in city area. I even listen to internet radio using gprs.But Airtel GPRS is on average best.

If you have a win7 computer,it is easy to by pass the voda soft ware and try bsnl/airtel 2G sim with gprs pack and check speeds.

Atleast you were smart enough to stop the post paid scam and converted to pre paid.:urock:

You put voda 1 Gb gprs pack and use data card in your /net/notebook say in Ernakulam/kottoyam etc, you will see you will get 150-180 kbps in edge network and can browse comfortably.(not You tube)
so voda data card is not a waste and it is not locked.If you have a 3G sim,check speed in the phone with a 3 day rs 14 prepaid gprs recharge.tRy bsnl 2G sim with a gprs apck too. you have to put appropriate APN when you use sim other than Voda.

https://www.speedtest.net

To set the record straight, I responded to Vodafone and furnished my Vodafone connection number at the designated website location indicated by Vodafone. Not surprisingly, I must say, Vodafone has not yet cared to reply to me by mail nor contact me otherwise, as of writing this reply (i.e. even after a week). And I think, it only re-emphasize the contents of my earlier post!

As instructed in the Vodafone message above, I have sent (at 11.53 AM 14 Nov 2011) an e-mail (which contain my contact phone numbers too) to the address in Vodafone message. It will be interesting to see what response I will receive from Vodafone. I intend to keep this thread updated of whatever be the outcome.

To be fair to voda ,I have solved problems in vodafone via email which voda retail shop or telefone customer service could not solve.( basically they have been told/power only to listen to you, they can not solve problems)You need to find nodal,regional manager and few more higher authorities and add C.C ,B.C.C .. then you may get a quicker reply.By the way they most cell cos recruit some trainees and their job is to check all the blogs and just post a canned reply.they will never ever solve your problem in the blogs.