TRAI Raises SMS Limit To 200 SMS Per Day Per SIM

• Thread starter Thread starter audioslave
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 19,631
From Live Updates in Rediff

Live - Rediff.com India News

Trai ends cap of 200 personal text messages: A Delhi High Court sets aside the cap of 200 text messages per day for personal communication, but upholds curb for unsolicited commercial text messages.

In November, TRAI raised the cap from 100 text messages to 200 a day after it received representations from consumers and service providers to relax the limit. Trai had introduced the 100-SMSes a day cap to stop unsolicited and pesky text messages from telemarketers selling everything from real estate to weight loss solutions. The cap also put an end to subscribers using multiple SIM cards to send text messages without registering as telemarketers.

I have 50 sms per day tariff, and I hardly even use 10 so, it doesn't bother me at least 😀

Even i have virtually stopped using the regular messaging. Its either Whatsapp, or the online message sending tools. I m currently using Free SMS Sender. So it doesnt bother me as well!

People are so familiar to BBM , what's app and other internet based messaging that sms would hardly be used by anyone.Still good that limit is removed. Will be usefull incase required.

BBM is restricted to BB devices. Whatsapp and other apps are multi-platform.

People are so familiar to BBM , what's app and other internet based messaging that sms would hardly be used by anyone.

Still good that limit is removed. Will be usefull incase required.

Most of the Android/iPhone users use Whatsapp.

Most of the Android/iPhone users use Whatsapp.

Yes. I know that. That's why I named both the apps.

I use Bbm for my blackberry friends and What'app for non blackberry friends.

LOL so what is the situation now?cap is there or not?It does not make me any difference though. Just curious to know.

amish said:
It does not make me any difference though. Just curious to know.
Agreed. Who uses SMS anyway? Most of my friends have transitioned to WhatsApp & remaining ones who hasn't never text anyways so it's really doesn't matter.

I agree with TRAI's reasoning regarding right to privacy against unsolicited commercial communications trumping Freedom of speech in this particular case because under no logical reason would an average Indian ever need to be sending 200 SMS daily. Now before anyone comes up with niche scenarios, Laws and regulations are mostly made with masses in mind just like businesses have a different set of laws, some vehicles are legally allowed to over speed and jump red lights (emergency responders).

Ideally yes there should be a limit on other messaging apps too but the context here is that the OTT communication services don't yet come under TRAI's control (If i'm not wrong) so it can't make rules to govern them yet. Once they do start to govern OTT communication services i think it would be in general population's best interest to have an upper limit (excluding groups) based on no. of unique recipients they are chatting with (Like you chatting with your friend on WhatsApp and sending like 100 messages and pics should just count as 1 out of 200) but since anyone hardly chats over SMS these days so a total limit of 200 SMS is fine.