sick of my sales job, which alternate profile can i choose

• Thread starter Thread starter chetan31
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,967
C

chetan31

guys, i need no hero. but my health is deteriorating because of too much sales pressure. sales is a profile which makes you talk to multiple people in the day(within or outside the organisation) and makes oneself frustrated. target , nos. is something which i am sick off now. its been 4 and half yrs in same profile and i need change in profile itself. guys can you please help me suggest. seems like awkward topic on this forum but i am struggling to get help

also no BIG DADDY Advices pls! pls refrain your self making repulsive comments if you are in sales profile and much happy.

@ ChetanGive some info about your qualification and interest so that people can give useful suggestion.Which company do you work for now ? Is it a small / medium one ? What is your post ? May be you should try a government job as work pressure is much less there, in fact if you choose to, there is almost no work pressure. 🙂I am a tech person by profession and we too got target like increase productivity, reduce project completion time, work even on holidays to complete project etc. As you move up in career, the pressure increases of course, but the perks are something which will help you go through those torture. That is why I asked your current designation, if you are an entry level employee, sales job is much difficult and perks are not good either.

With your Salesman's experience of 4 1/2 years, time to start your ownmarket survey/ sample distribution company.You offer your services to target. specific areas, for any MNC or Organisation, who cannot have their own marketing team.Of course you have to employ some people,( on commission basis or daily wages) to do the hard work.For Instance TRISHA a cine actor offers to visit your flat and if some product earlier marketed is produced by the consumer , gets a Big Hamper with goodies as Prize! example Toothpaste/Soap etc. ( Of course Ms Trisha must have charged in Lakhs for the visit for One day in a particular area !!!)( If you had covered the area as salesman you may get a "lollipop"!!!)Since you seem to be Internet Savvy, you could advertise your services in the WEB. We can only succeed in a job/profession , with some experience./interest.For Instance I am a forum Contributor ( FREE of Cost voluntary:can be expelled/banned any time !!!😉in different forums for past 4 years .If I start a New forum ( based on my popularity/notoriety ) I could be earning extra money from banner advts/ google advts/ etc. Total Income in 4years Rs 4500/-=!!!!! ( contest Prize / one time payment )Para two;My Uncle was in Advertising/ and my nephew with MBA switched 12 jobs, Now in Indonesia for an ISP> Started career selling/marketing Ice cream/ then Dabur ayurvedic items/ Airtel// Mattel toys/mobile phones etc.Hope this short article enthused you.

thanks dilip for sharing thoughts, i currently work for wipro. i am a Sr. business manager looking after mid market customer. i work for system integration division. i am btech in Electronics and communication. well, i choosed sales as profession as i wasn't good in coding and core hardware stuff:crazy1:. my first organisation came to our campus and i had to choose one out of compulsion and then it was no looking back. i was more enthusiast in communication field as i love and understand CDMA and GSM technology. well, if we look into stats, most of the techies are in sales and marketing. now after 4 yrs, its not clicking as i cannot slog with customers . though very sophesticated target customer profile, but something is not working out. main reason i think is sales is something we cannot control, its all dependent on luck and timing(no rule book for sales). this is my third organisation and i had a good and long stint in my first company. second company was oweful and third one again struggling. sal and perks has been above market standards but finally if you are not happy in profile nothing will be soothing. my personal life is knocked off(not married though) and i get aggressive for small things and reacting to things which i should not. not talking and smiling for long with people. ego is on rise and does not like taking sh*t from any one on steering wheel. sometimes i feel am i too week to handle all this. i am from a rich and well off family, friends and peers says "why the hell am i working and slogging, if i would have been at your place, i would have left the job and would have started the business" i only say money does not grow on trees and need continuous efforts to multiply it. more so business is something i cannot look into now as i have very weak business contacts been in three companies with diff industries

Nice to know about you Chetan. Did you had your degree 4.5 year back ? If yes, you are still competent enough to get a tech job (if you prefer one) or may be you can try a Managerial post in customer care for companies like Airtel or Reliance which you can easily get with your current profile. Just that don't resign this job before you get a tech one.

You can try business if you are interested, but that will only add to your pressure syndrome and the luck factor has a very great role in it no matter how good you are.

Or simply try a government job as I mentioned before. Join an IAS coaching centre or write tests for tech posts in Government companies.

----------

Also I think Wipro has many tech jobs which does not involve coding and all. With your connections you can easily get one in the same organisation.

@dilip, i cannot talk internally within organisation as news spreads like fire and my reporting manager would sc**w me. also was of opinion for telecom company for non core but technology job, but looking at current telecom industry health, looks option bleak.also referring to your earlier post regarding target and perks, my nos. achievement is in very bad shape and perks is anyways zero apart from my fixed sal. more frustrating is i have no control on it and is really not matching with my personality and my caliber.my company has also given stupid blackberry which keeps me haunting with bosses stupid low performance mails on weekends. if it is work related then no issue but mostly are dipping nos. and future action plan mails.

I understand what you are saying. Sales job is a bit tiring when compared to others, but in my opinion, the sales executives feel more pressure than top slot. And employing the correct ones can make a big difference and it seems they come to your from engineering colleges as a part of campus recruitment. Though there are not much achievements you can list, being a Senior Manager in Wipro commands enough respect in job market which will help you very much when trying in top companies. I am not sure why you are doubtful about the future of telecom market. Every single foreign investor wants to try their hands in Indian Telecom market and they have a very good future as far as I can see. Admin may be the right person to help you with more details. And I was serious about government jobs, they are good enough even today.

Chetan, Why dont you get into the Sales back-end support team. You have good experience in the front end team. Trust me, There are good oppurtinities there as well, You dont have to deal with the end customer and dont need to break your head with them.Let me give you some examples of Sales Backend Support team. These folks will work on Reporting & Analysis of the Sales pattern., The pattern which the customer has been buying from the company and give the feedback to the front end team. In case the customer is buying from your competitor, You will need to analyze the pros and cos of the offer the rival companies have made and what better you can offer them. I see that you are BE., You can learn couple of tools such as SAS which will not involve much of coding and they are huge in demand by the industry. Let me know if this interests you, I can explain you more in detail. I have lot of folks in this industry and I know deep about this business.

Deleted Member 7160, you would already know if we need a job in different company and that too with different profile then one should have reference from known one in the other company. job consultant dont take risk of offering role based on your aspirations and if you dont have contacts it really does not work at all. my all jobs have been on reference except the first one, my known one or ex used to refer to interviewer and then it is upto oneself to perform in interview. bottom line is i dont have contacts in these creative profiles, else i would have been atleast better. yes i would like to know about SAS.

What exactly do you mean by deteriorating health? Sales process is damn challenging where nothing is enough.If you do good, you are expected to do better and this just continues and never ends.Don't get lost in the targets man! Start enjoying your life 🙂

Chetan got a point, if you ever fall short of your target, your manager makes life hell for you. It is same in all profession, but I think worst in sales.

Samm bhaiya, good advice but wrong time. will you pay my expense once i loose my job bec of inadequate performance. dilip, it is worst in sales as you are cornered directly based on your achievements . worst than this you cannot regain as you have no control other than watching your victory fall. more so, person who would be overachieving his numbers would never agree with me and would never come on this forum and write comments.other profiles atleast gives you chance to work around and fix things.in sales no company can see their target falling, it will directly effect their revenue and in turn their market share on sensex. once short of nos. they can drill you any way since they will never get convinced with your reasoning.

thanks dilip for sharing thoughts, i currently work for wipro. i am a Sr. business manager looking after mid market customer. i work for system integration division. i am btech in Electronics and communication.
well, i choosed sales as profession as i wasn't good in coding and core hardware stuff:crazy1:. my first organisation came to our campus and i had to choose one out of compulsion and then it was no looking back. i was more enthusiast in communication field as i love and understand CDMA and GSM technology. well, if we look into stats, most of the techies are in sales and marketing. now after 4 yrs, its not clicking as i cannot slog with customers . though very sophesticated target customer profile, but something is not working out. main reason i think is sales is something we cannot control, its all dependent on luck and timing(no rule book for sales). this is my third organisation and i had a good and long stint in my first company. second company was oweful and third one again struggling. sal and perks has been above market standards but finally if you are not happy in profile nothing will be soothing. my personal life is knocked off(not married though) and i get aggressive for small things and reacting to things which i should not. not talking and smiling for long with people. ego is on rise and does not like taking sh*t from any one on steering wheel. sometimes i feel am i too week to handle all this. i am from a rich and well off family, friends and peers says "why the hell am i working and slogging, if i would have been at your place, i would have left the job and would have started the business" i only say money does not grow on trees and need continuous efforts to multiply it. more so business is something i cannot look into now as i have very weak business contacts been in three companies with diff industries
First think of the positives -though you are frustrated with front line sales even though customers are sophiscated(not selling Rin & SurF travelling with Distributor sales man in a van touring all the big kirana shops!:001unsure🙂

You are young,single,(I assume not more than 26-28 yrs),have a Btech/BE not BA/Bcom and a richer parents who do not depend upon your earnings.
I had none of these birth right advantages. I will come to my story later.

Consider taking a break by pursuing eiether a MS or MBA in a premier institute in India or USA (Rs 10-15 lakhs you can afford as you say are rich)
I went to USA to study further when I was 29yrs after working in field sales for 9 years (Pharma,Banking) while supporting family.I left after my two younger brothers kind of got jobs.change of scene will do lot of good.
If you do not want to study ,try to get a Marketing (planning etc) and not Front line Sales.(But MBA is a must for product manager like Job)

You already know what is front line sales-(No other Junior sales man can bull shit you that easily) You need to move in sales-service/Planning kind of job.

But I will highly recommend go abroad and get a MBA. After enjoying a few years abroad-you can get a Management position in the same field.
Many people will kill themselves to be in your shoe. feel free to write in public or PM .This is like therapy for you.

Front line Job needs a smile always and you have to enjoy the process.Not everyone is born with such attitude,It is a acquired habit.