legal problems of shariing broadband connection

2skannan

[OP]
Oct 26, 2011
I would like to know that if there is any legal problems in sharing bsnl broadband between me and my neigbour.

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
Regulars
May 21, 2011
Delhi
I would like to know that if there is any legal problems in sharing bsnl broadband between me and my neigbour.

Shouldn't be. For cyber safety purpose you shouldn't share broadband unless you trust the person completely.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
errm. i think it is against terms and conditions if you share your connection with a neighbor. of course, doing it would not really cause any practical problems.

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
Regulars
May 21, 2011
Delhi
errm. i think it is against terms and conditions if you share your connection with a neighbor.

of course, doing it would not really cause any practical problems.

I presume wifi is the only possible way. In which case it doesn't matter how many machines use it.

Edit: I believe there is no possible way of even establishing whether the machine that used your connection is within your home premises or adjacent to it.

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
Regulars
May 21, 2011
Delhi
Still, read the Terms and Conditions mentioned on the form you fill up when getting the new connection.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
well they cannot detect it of course. i think the terms are more related to sharing your connection by sharing your account details. but i guess that is no longer possible because the account details are locked with your landline number. but in theory, the connection you have is supposed to be used by you. and of course, if your neighbor turns out to be a terrorist, you are going to get into deep trouble. :D

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
Apr 15, 2009
Is it illegal ? I mean, if you are in bachelor set up, you may take connection in your name and share it with ethernet or WiFi through your friends in other room (in case of a flat) who may be paying directly to the land lord and is no way related to you. Isn't the same here ? I think unless you are making profit out of connection say by offering it as a cafe or something, I think it would be quite legal to share a connection. By that way you can get plans of higher cost and share the bill.

----------

But as admin mentioned, it won't give any practical problems.

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
Regulars
May 21, 2011
Delhi
haha..happened to an American citizen living in Mumbai few years back. He had an unsecured wifi and the terrorists used it to send an email. Though he was let off eventually I believe he had a tough time in between.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
Apr 15, 2009
There are many people who still don't know that WiFi can be accessed by anyone in the range and they are completely unaware that they can set up a password in a few minute's time.

2skannan

[OP]
Oct 26, 2011
i just want to know if it is legally an offense. where shall i get the terms and conditions to know about this.