BEWARE Of Thunderstorms!

• Thread starter Thread starter mikesingh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 6,019

mikesingh

ISP
BSNL
Guys! I just got screwed, and how! The other night there was a huge thunder storm that came without warning accompanied by lightning. I had earlier disconnected all plugs from the mains including Tata Sky,TV, computer etc before going to bed apprehending the possibility of induction which could travel through the wires and damage the equipment.

At about 2 O'Clock in the morning, there was massive lightning that sent a crackle into the system. But seeing that I had disconnected everything, I thought all's well and went back to sleep.

When I switched on my HD STB in the morning, nothing happened. It was dead as a dodo! My 42 inch plasma TV was dead too!! WTF I thought. The damned induction produced by that massive lightning which must have struck close by had apparently traveled from the dish outside, through the wire and into the STB! Now the STB was connected to the TV by HD cable and resulted in the TV getting screwed too!

Now who would have thought to disconnect the dish from the STB? So guys, a word of advice:

During thunder storms disconnect the systems not only from the mains but also the connection to the dish. This is important!

I probably have to shell out many Ks to get my TV repaired. STB is within warranty, so that may probably be replaced.

Take care!
Mike

ouch ...............one question will the UPS save the PC if there is lightening strike or high voltage ??

Sorry to hear that mikesingh, but call me nuts but I do remove the cable from the dish too during thunderstorms, but even with that when calamity hits it hits. Cant save oneself from nature. 🙁@anant-del -- dude its a freaking lightning strike man not some voltage surge. It will take the UPS as well as your pc with it. :grief:

^ yes but it will blow the UPS fuse. U will have to replace the fuse if high voltage hits the wire.@stoner: a lightening strike won't take out the UPS & pc completely. It just blows the fuse. Atleast in my case thats what happened.

ouch ...............

one question will the UPS save the PC if there is lightening strike or high voltage ??
Nope! Even if it is 'Off' a strong induction (during a thunderstorm) can punch its way through! A fuse in your UPS could probably help. But it's better you disconnect the system from the mains by yanking the plug from the socket! :biggrin: