What DTH to get?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 8,522
get videocon , i think once espn hd launches for Tata Sky, hd channels will not look great(although better than sd) . d2h is getting all hd channels according to what i've read on various forums .

I'm a newbie, currently have Dish (SD only) and looking for a new connection for my new HDTV (Prefer HD only). I have heard Tata Sky & Airtel are among the better ones.
Correct me if I am wrong here...I was told Tatasky & Airtel provide True HD and with 5.1 audio while others dont. I know videocon provides most HD channels, but what about its quality compared to Airtel & Tatasky, and do these videocon HD channels provide 5.1 audio? I have heard that it dosent and that Videocon is not that great - comparatively....and was suggested to opt one of Airtel / Tatasky. What about the services, channel quality, ect?

get videocon , i think once espn hd launches for tata sky, hd channels will not look great(although better than sd) . d2h is getting all hd channels according to what i've read on various forums .
Why do you say that its HD channels wont look great once another channel is added?

well unless ts solves its transponder issues, no point going in for it. Only plus on the TS DVR is the extra drive space. I have the whole KBC/Terra Nova/Bigg Boss recorded and around 6 HD English flicks. I still have 43pc of disk space left.

I have heard that it dosent and that Videocon is not that great - comparatively....and was suggested to opt one of Airtel / Tata Sky. What about the services, channel quality, ect?

Well if u r concerned about PQ, then check out these threads:

HD Channels of D2h......https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/72246-videocon-d2h-hd-channels-pics/

SD channels in HD boxes of D2h......https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/72248-videocon-d2h-sd-channels-mega/

If u think this is not upto the mark, then its completely ur call.

Next on AQ, well few users who used TS/Dish/Airtel before say they prefer D2h over the others, and some say the other way round. I reckon u have an experience of all the DTH u shortlist, at their dealers, and see for urself as to which one suits ur likes.

@ Rajiv......

U have recorded so much, thats good. But apart from Flicks, do u watch the other shows over & over again? Dont u get fed up of seeing the same stuff repetitively?

hmm... well Terra Nova i guess has my vote for repeat value. KBC/BB not so much. Actually I have such an idiotic schedule that I end up missing both these shows(FYI, the only two hindi shows I watch) which I usually catch up late night. The idea that I was sending across to admin was it has a kind of set it on record and forget amount of space you know.

@ bobyIt seems old figures of channel no.s.

Yeah, that way its right, that u dont have to think of deleting, unless u record insane amounts of stuff.

I would like to add my experience of owning a Videocon d2h hd recorder box. I bought Videocon d2h HD with recording in July because I wanted ESPN HD. I have been completely dissatisfied with the stb. I will list some of the problems I have faced for all to know:1. My set top box does not display any picture when I try to start it, unless I switch off the mains and switch it on again. At this point it takes a couple of minutes to "Check the hard drive" before I can use it. If I try to power on the box from standby without switching the main power supply off and back on, I only see a flashing black and white screen. My stb runs into my Denon amp via HDMI and from there to my Panasonic plasma via HDMI again. There is some incompatibility with my Panasonic plasma, because I can hear the audio through the amp if I switch off the tv, but if I turn the tv on, I need to hard power off and on the stb to get a video signal. I have already had one stb replaced by Videocon for this issue, but even this one has the same problem and nobody knows how to fix it other than recommending that I don't use HDMI cables. If I had wanted to use multiple old component cables, I wouldn't have bought this box. This issue alone makes this box utterly useless for recording programs, because the programs will not record unless you can hard power off and on the box 20-30 mins before the scheduled recording time.2. I have had issues where programs that were meant to be recorded did not record and I missed watching them altogether because of this. It showed an exclamation mark next to the name of the program that was to be recorded, but no recording was made.3. When playing-back recorded programs, the program will freeze at random every so often. During a typical F1 race, the playback will freeze at least 3-4 times on average and I have to restart the recorded program from the beginning to continue watching it.4. What makes it worse is that when you playback a recorded program you cannot fast forward at more than 4x or max 8x or the program will just freeze. While the box officially supports up to 64x fast forward, the feature is utterly useless, because at 16x and above the fast forward simply freezes. Often when you press play (while fast forwarding) it doesn't record the key press and you fast forward too far, then have to rewind again (and run a real risk of having everything freeze at that point).5. They blatantly lie about how many hours of HD recording the box is capable of.6. You cannot get multi channel audio over HDMI. I have my stb hooked up to my Denon amp via HDMI, but I can only get Stereo sound this way even if I set it up to output multi channel sound. In order to get multi channel sound I have to use a coax cable, I'm told. For what? What's the point in having the HDMI interface if you need to run separate cables to get proper sound?7. The compression in their HD channels makes the image quality quite poor. It is definitely better than SD image quality by a long shot, but definitely not as good as HD channels should look. There are compression artifacts especially on fast moving pan shots like you have in F1 and in cricket. I will say, however, that the image quality on ESPN HD is now much better than it was in July when I bought the stb.In short the software on the Tata Sky box is infinitely better (because it's a tried and tested Sky product). Now that Tata Sky Plus HD has ESPN HD, I am going to switch back to them. In fact I am looking to sell my Videocon d2h (three months old) with HD and recording, so if anybody is interested in buying it, please do PM me. I can offer it to anyone in Pune / Mumbai region.

I think ur software is not updated. That can be the only issue here. None of us is facing this kind of issues.

Jaymin is correct. Your DVR need software update. If it doesn't solve the problem, get it replaced asap.

My software is fully up-to-date and, as I mentioned before, this is the second stb I am on, but the experience has been the same, unfortunately. This is why in just three months I am switching back to Tata Sky Plus HD, because I have never faced any problems with them. I would be interested in knowing what setup the other d2h hd recorder users have, ie. which cables do you use to connect, do you connect direct to a tv or through a home theatre amp, does your tv support hdmi arc, etc.

Its surprising that you are facing this issue even after STB replacement. If you have decided to switch back to TS, then its your personal decision, but if you wish to get the d2h one corrected, Mark a mail to d2h peoples with all above points and ask them to replace your DVR with the One after testing.HDMI ports and cable are capable to transmit multi channel sound outputs. I am using computer speakers. So, connected my DVR and LED with HDMI Cable and connected speakers on Audio Out Port of LED.

kbk

Same was here. I was SD user of D2H & now D2H DVR but picture quality same except few channels if you talk about same.

----------

Clear this problem plz.

Can we frw / bkwrd live program even it not set to record?

Thanks.

Yes, You can pause Live TV, reverse and forward without recording. But for this you have to be watching that channel and program.e.g: Scenario 1: If you are watching Star Plus and suddenly gt some call , either you can pause the live TV, take your call and resume after your call is ended. and can forward the program dusring commercial advt and continue live TV.Scenario 2: If you are watching Star Plus and suddenly gt some call, you can go outside receive the call, come back, rewind it , watch at desired 1x. 2x, 4x ... speed. Scenario 3: If you are watching Star Plus and suddenly you wish to change Sony and the desired program had lapsed and you wanna rewind, you want be able to do that.So, in all d2h had a maximum 120 minutes of buffer time. That means you can rewind your program to 120 minutes . Only condition is you must be watching that Channel only for last 120 minutes.

HDMI ports and cable are capable to transmit multi channel sound outputs. I am using computer speakers. So, connected my DVR and LED with HDMI Cable and connected speakers on Audio Out Port of LED.

That means you are still only getting stereo sound out of your speakers. I know for a fact that the box is not outputting multi channel sound over hdmi, because my amp clearly shows how many channels of audio are incoming and how many are being output to my 5.1 speaker set-up. This despite enabling multi channel sound in the settings option.