September 27 2011 is here now. Are you still getting any SPAM SMS?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 100
  • Views Views 20,566
But if i recall correctly, i have an opportunity of making some quick buck ryt?

After 27th it was very good till 1-2 days but after that I have started receiving many spam messages. Infact the no has increased more than before.

Earlier messages were in the following format- LM-Vodoo, LM Airezonna etc

Meaning that there was a name in the message. That was not a big problem as I added them to the blacklist In Android phone so not a big deal.

But now the message have the format- LM-random number

I think what they are doing is that they spoof the connection with random numbers after 100 sms so the system takes it as a different connection. A big drawback of it is that adding to blacklist no longer works since the number is each time different.

I received a spam SMS from "UNIcon" in the address field on 29 Oct. On 30 Oct, I filed an online complaint on Airtel's web site. They sent me an acknowledgement number exactly 2 days and 3 minutes after I had received that message and later sent another one saying that since my complaint was logged more than 3 days after the message, no action would be taken. Scumbag airtel.
Do they expect people to file a complaint minutes after receiving the message.

I saw similar experience shared by someone on Medianama. Airtel needs another 25 Million penalty. People should complain to TRAI regarding this.

Got this reply
Dear Customer,

Ref: Email dated 01-11-2011, regarding your concern related to receipt of promotional communication on your airtel mobile number 99XXXXXX.

Thank you for writing to airtel and providing us the opportunity to assist you.

As per the service request number 1031368558, the promotional SMS reported by you sent from an international service provider and does not directly fall under the purview of the NCPR regulations.

However, investigations are on, in consultation with the TRAI, to identify such senders and to evaluate the possible recourse.

We hope that we have been able to address your concern suitably.

Please do write in for any further assistance.

So advertisers are now using international service providers :O

Today only I read somewhere that Telemarketers are routing sms through African Service Providers and yours is one such case. Hummm, need to search that article for details. Was able to see the headline today's morning and thought to read later bt forgotted and now unable to find that article. 🙁

I am on Vodafone and haven't received a SPAM message or call since the past two months. I had received a couple of such SMS in August and complained to Vodafone. They followed up on that complaint and told me a request for blocking the number had been sent to the company whose sim was used by the Telemarketer. I believe not giving out my number to services like Justdial helped a lot!