• Thread starter Thread starter audioslave
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,512

audioslave

What?
ISP
Beam 24Hours
The telecom department is likely to haul up Bharti Airtel for allegedly camouflaging its calling-line identification (CLI) mechanism while making promotional business calls to non-Airtel customers. So much so, it plans to slap a Rs 50-crore penalty on the company since tinkering with the CLI mechanism tantamouts to a breach of licence conditions, an official with direct knowledge of the matter told ET.

In an internal note reviewed by ET, the department claims it has received complaints about "Bharti Airtel camouflaging its CLI mechanism in Madhya Pradesh circle for making business promotion calls to non-Airtel mobile customers".

Investigations are underway to detect similar violations in other circles. Under Clause 41.19 (iv) of universal service access licence norms, a mobile operator cannot tamper with its CLI mechanism since this is required for security purposes, and any violation amounts to a security breach.

In a written response to an email from ET, an Airtel spokesman said: "We have not received any communication from the DoT in this regard and therefore cannot comment on the same." But in an internal note of the department, which is with ET, Bharti Airtel had initially claimed the CLI glitch was triggered by "an error by a third party, a call centre" in this case.

"If a third party provides any CLI, then without making any changes, we forward it to the subscriber, which happened in our case," said Bharti Airtel in an internal communication to the telecom department. But following investigations into the case by its vigilance wing, the telecom department found Bharti Airtel's rationale "did not hold good since the call centre in question was not a third party".

In fact, an internal department note claims that when this was pointed out, Bharti Airtel in a communication dated February 7, 2011, said a mistake had been committed by its technical staff. "To manage such a large network we are dependent on our workforce and humans do make unintentional mistakes at times due to work pressure and oversight. This particular incident was also a case of human error and we are taking steps to ensure such mistakes don't happen again by tweaking our process adequately."

Airtel faces fine of Rs 50 crore for masking calls - The Economic Times

Good idea.. run a scam.If not caught .. keep running it.If caught then say it was technical mistake or workforce error, we are dependent on staff!!WOW, just WOW!!All these rich companies are making scams after scams exploiting every possible way to breach law.

I hope they are slapped with this fine and more in future. They deserve it.

Last time Airtel had some loss they increased per second rates.If they have to pay 50cr. they will again increase per second rates! 😀

I don't care cause I'm on the 'Hidden Port Tariff Plan'. 😉But I fed up. After activating DND, I still get unwanted telemarketing calls. Plus, the customer care misguides me when I want to deactivate a VAS which I in the first place didn't even activate.I am sticking with Airtel just because of my current call rates.

I am sure even Vodafone would also be doing similar kind of tricks.

Every Telecom Company is in Loss that is why they have Hiked the Tariff In order to Recover.A Stock broker can exactly Explain whats the condition of Airtel Stocks in BSE. They've improved a bit after Hiking tariff Followed by other Telecos.

Yep that is why they started using bad practices.

I have Airtel DTH, they keep sending me 2 SMS everyday even though I am on DND.

They called me 3-4 times too.

One of them had guts to tell me "Aapke account main 52Rs pada hain to ye package activate kar du?"

I had to tell him a "STRICT NO" and then again while he was disconnecting, I made sure to say in strong voice, "KUCH BHI CHANGES MAT KARO, KUCH BHI ACTIVATE MAT KARO!".

I probably scared him with last statement! 😀 I havent got call after that day!

Apparently, I ask my Family Members To stay away from Airtel. I am Happy to say I don't Even Have a Single Airtel product in my home!F**k Airtel

Yep that is why they started using bad practices.

I have Airtel DTH, they keep sending me 2 SMS everyday even though I am on DND.

They called me 3-4 times too.

One of them had guts to tell me "Aapke account main 52Rs pada hain to ye package activate kar du?"

I had to tell him a "STRICT NO" and then again while he was disconnecting, I made sure to say in strong voice, "KUCH BHI CHANGES MAT KARO, KUCH BHI ACTIVATE MAT KARO!".

I probably scared him with last statement! 😀 I havent got call after that day!

they also bugged me a lot with there survey's...every single time they call and enquire abt how good their service is !!!:disgust:

They are doing it for long and each and every circle with his customer as well.. Several times it will happen that you will receive a call from Airtel, try calling the number back and you will get the message that this number does not exist... It means they are changing the CLI.

I hope they are slapped with this fine and more in future. They deserve it.

They'll pay 5 Crore to the telecom minister and get away with it ..

i don't think they will have to goto to the telecom minister. they would bribe somebody at the lower level and the problem would be solved.

No No, How can Kapil Sibbal keep quite. He only have asked TRAI to fine so that he too could become rich like Pramod Mahajan and A Raja.

Everytime you get call from nodal or some higher authority...try calling them back you will 99% time get number does not exist