limited plan with limited speed

WebKing

[OP]
Dec 20, 2010
This is really weird ! Do you think it's beneficial for Internet Service Providers to limit the speed on limited plan connections?for eq. 1 gb limited plan with 256 kbps connection !

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
It's a stupid idea to limit both speed & data. One or other, not both. I'd like to see ISPs offer "line speed" on data plans.

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
ya, but 1gb is still stupid.

1GB does suit some people - the ones who check their email once a week and so on. But as a plan for normal users it's definitely not suitable. If I may toot my own horn for a moment, I think even our lite plans are some of the more sane ones and would be feasible at pretty decent prices similar to what we're offering on the existing networks - simply remove this 2 or 4mbit/s cap and just un-limit it to be whatever the hardware will do: it won't cost anyone any more money and it will vastly improve everyone's experience.

So long as they don't charge Rs500/GB or whatever then even those few who might go over the limit by 1 or 2GB won't find themselves shelling out stupid sums of money when the bill arrives - spend a few rupees on user education and suggest a plan change (to a higher tier or to unlimited) because this charging exorbitant rates for over-use isn't working: people who get that kind of bill just shut the net off and don't venture near it again until the shock has gone away.