Tata Sky HD plus internet connectivity (via LAN) coming soon!

• Thread starter Thread starter IMNS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 32,960
i thought the article from july clearly stated that it would use ethernet connectivity.

yeah well trial will do. considering FUP also will be used up due to this service. and yeah it is wired. The box is not wifi capable.

question. why would folks like us pay for movies when it would still download through our internets? 😛i think the whole point of movie on demand on DTH was that there was no downloading involved. Tata Sky is fighting a losing battle here. internet is expensive in india and without deals with ISPs, they are going to struggle with it.

Of course it'll be expensive I wouldnt mind paying for "HD" content once in a while. considering i will get quality stuff and dont have a HD playback mechanism from my laptop and aint burning cash on a HD player.

SD no sir. I wont pay a single penny.

----------

And I agree with you admin. These idiots have already botched up on the VoD service they introduced on TS+ and TS+ HD. Stale useless content there exception of "A wednesday". They are seriously leaving gaping holes in their planning and that which is evident to us too..

question. why would folks like us pay for movies when it would still download through our internets? 😛

Its more convenient than renting a physical copy, cheaper too if you watch more than a few movies a month, and its legal unlike torrents. Thats more than enough reason for me to pay for it. Rest of you feel free to pirate them for free if thats what suits you.

well even pirated content isnt "free" free with majority ISPs fup-ing us. Lets wait to see what kind of pricing they come up with.

I can see the legality point. But I really doubt it would turn out to be cheap. It is too early to say anything about prices. Though I would imagine that it would be similar to movie on demand? 30-50 bucks per movie? Add to that the bandwidth costing. And possible restrictions? My expectations from Tata Sky are pretty low at this point of time. Reliance however has a solid advantage. They are actually financing a lot of Bollywood AND Hollywood movies so they are going to have a lot more leverage in signing up deals for a similar service. Bandwidth is a major criteria in the Indian market. IPTV is perhaps the only good workaround as it does not require satellite spectrum. And data transfer is free.

Ahhh the possibilities of IPTV. Airtel could have have easily launched such a service and it'd have been easily a hit. But I've lost all hope with airtel bringing any usable service anymore and reliance still has to launch its IPTV after almost 5years in beta. Atleast Tata Sky is trying. They already mentioned it'll be a netflix style service. I dont care much about the SD/HD (though I'd definitely opt for HD given a choice) but if they use PPV for such downloads, I'm not interested. It has to be a true netflix style service with all you can eat option.

airtel iptv does have a movie on demand feature and they usually have a pretty decent variety available. i never tried it because of potential billing related problems. netflix of course works because of its subscription based feature and not pay per view.

I wont really call it a decent variety. There is no reason for their library to have any sort of limit. And the fact that they still want you to PPV is more than enough to make me stay away from it.