Tata Sky HD plus internet connectivity (via LAN) coming soon!

IMNS

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 12, 2011
I got the HD+ box installed a few days back and yesterday I got a call from TS asking if the engineer had connected my TS HD+ box with internet or not. He hadnt so she told me if I want to. Since the installation will be free so I didnt object. I did however ask her how will the STB use internet connectivity. She didnt know too much about it and told me it's an upcoming update (coming within a few weeks) which will allow you to download HD movies on the STB (from TS servers) via internet. There maybe more features but she didnt have all the details yet. I'll be all over it if they have a netflix style "all you can eat" type of subscription with a huge database of movies. Though I doubt we'll be that lucky. It'll probably be the same system where you pay per movie. But still its good news IMO. Once the box is connected to the internet, the possibilities are endless. There can be youtube, light web browsing, email etc. You could easily check your booked events and set new recordings from the TS app/web much more efficiently. Hopefully it TS wont stop at just the pay per view movie downloads. Fingers crossed :D

IMNS

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 12, 2011
Wouldnt work. They will have to include ISPs in the deal. Otherwise everyone will get FUPed!
Netflix doesnt have any deals with ISPs either. And even with airtel fup and other slow broadband connections, it'll work as long as you dont have a downloads based plan. It can easily download 2-3 movies from your wishlist in the background and have them ready for whenever you want to watch one.

So yeah, I think it'll work great as long as they have a good enough catalog of movies for reasonable price. I'll be subscribing to it on day one unless they charge more than 300 bucks for it.

AgentX

The Secret Agent
Regulars
Dec 22, 2007
Chennai
Are you sure it's that enjoyable?

You're comparing Netflix who's users have a minimum of 5mbps connection to watch movies on their internet connection. We barely have 1mbps as a norm here, and we're talking about downloading movies to the STB directly.

Let's assume the download size would be 4GB (too small, eh?) and with a 512kbps connection, and regular internet browsing, it'll take at least 2 days (non-stop) to complete. Plus, most ISPs have introduced FUP, so you get your speed lowered as soon as possible without even enjoying a little :)

I might try this if it gets launched for free, but definitely wouldn't pay for something which I will have to download with my own speed and internet which I could use for something more useful :)

IMNS

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 12, 2011
I downloaded Portal for mac (almost 4 gb) in about 4 hours on my FUPless mtnl 3g cnnection. So yeah, for me it'll work great. Sure enough broadband services need to be improved but there are quite a few people who can make use of such services already. The fact that it'll work without the need of another STB or connecting my computer to TV will be reason enough for most to give it a try.

rajivkrishnan

Regular
Regulars
Nov 14, 2008
erm... It woudnt hurt much to start with VoD anyways.... All they would do is use up your existing FUP space for like a gig per movie. I think I would like that if the downloading is done off the hook so to say. And anyways IPTV is anyday a better technology per se to DTH.

IMNS

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 12, 2011
erm... It woudnt hurt much to start with VoD anyways.... All they would do is use up your existing FUP space for like a gig per movie. I think I would like that if the downloading is done off the hook so to say. And anyways IPTV is anyday a better technology per se to DTH.
IPTV is great. But the only one available in India is Airtel. And I dont think I'd be wrong if I say it's the worst and most crappiest IPTV experience in the world. Reliance looks good with their Microsoft OS based IPTV. But thats been "coming soon" for last 3 years so who knows how long will that take. Its probably gonna be a competition between Hayai and Reliance IPTV for the Duke Nukem forever trophy :p