Planning for a new connection.

neofactor.is3

ISP
Bsnl
Okay, here's the deal. I'm new to this. I'm planning to take a connection. I'd be happy with 2GB of data a month and unlimited night usage. I'm plannin to buy a wifi enabled mobile phone and so i need to use my bb connection through the mobile phone as well. I don't know the hardware requirements and how to configure them. Anyone here can help me? I guess i'll need a wifi modem? Is that enough? What's a router? Is it seperate? Please help me out keeping in mind i'm a real noob!

Nobody is online or is it irrelevant to be a newbie? 🙁

No thats pretty much it.....you dont need more than that.....want Wi-fi....you have your modem...2GB data and night UL....i guess you are going for 500 monthly...... :/You can buy a modem of your own or the BSNL guys will provide you......If they provide you....then ask them for a UTAStarcom Wi-Fi modem...thats a decent modem in their scale...🙂

Please mention

1. Do you have a land line already ?

2. Your budget ?

You can choose BBG FN Combo 600 which costs Rs. 600 per month + 10.3 % tax. It gives day time limit of 2.5 GB and night unlimited (both at up to 2 Mbps). You can get details here

.:BB COMBO:.

Also check this plan selector : BB Plan Selector

You can use this site to apply as it is very fast

BSNL AT YOUR DOORSTEP---Udaan input page

From what I heard, BSNL does not supply modems any more. You can check at your exchange and confirm. Normally they will suggest a modem and once you buy it, will configure it for you. You can also check other threads in this section for modem suggestion.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Yeah, i've a land line connection and my budget is 400-500. I'd be postponing my downloads for the night. I'd like to know whether a heavy day time browsing will shrink in 2GB per month, i don't want to pay 10000s as my landline bill. Thanks for the replies folks. 🙂 i'l keep the thread updated.

I think simple browsing will be not much data intensive. You can use a bandwidth meter from Networx or Shaplus and check how much data is consumed and plan accordingly. But if you use streaming audio and YouTube you will have a very tight data limit.

Always welcome 🙂Even watching YouTube video will account to download. In actual, 2.5 GB is too low seeing current data consumption for basic usage. The plan was devised some 2 years ago and they haven't updated the limit (and it is quite unlikely that they will do). Keep a close eye on your usage details if you are particular about avoiding huge bills.You can also use UL 499 or UL Combo 625 which are 256 Kbps unlimited plan. But the speed is very low compared to current standards.

Sorry, I must have missed that. meetdillip has covered all the relevant points. I feel 2.5 gb would be less given your day time usage. and 256 k unlimited wouldn't suit your needs. If you can stretch your budget a little more, go for the 750 unlimited plan. You'll get a speed of 512k and there is no fup too on this plan.

Well, thanks for the reply 🙂 i'll try limiting my usage. I can't increase my budget since i'm studying and the money i'm planning to spend comes from part time jobs. 🙂

Also, Skype and stuffs like that brings me a heavy bill, i guess..

Yes, if you are planning Skype, Yahoo messenger and Gtalk, I am not sure whether you will able to manage with 2.5 GB as you are interested in audio streaming and YouTube too. In that case, you should consider UL 750 or UL Combo 750 which gives 512 Kbps unlimited all the time. I am on UL 750 for Rs. 750 + 10.3 % tax (you get a 20% discount if the phone connection is in the name of a serving or retired government /psu employee).

Okay, here's what i decided after all this discussion. I'll postpone skyping to night time.(2am to 8am). I'll install an addon to my firefox and will download videos at night. So that means i'll have only browsing (heavy, ofcourse) during day time. Now i guess i can limit my plan to a 2GB 500/-. 🙂

Are you going to adjust your Lifestyle to suit your internet connection? Or are you used to late nights? Else go for a cheap Airtel plan with high speeds but ridiculous fup. There is a 649 - 1 mbps plan from airtel.Coz on a limited plan, you never know, you might end up paying through your nose.