How are you guys planning on using your Hayai connections?

• Thread starter Thread starter baxilone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 20,895
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to assume that you need an average of three months to expand to new cities, one at a time?

Is it safe to assume that you need an average of three months to expand to new cities, one at a time?

It's not really safe to assume anything.

Some cities will need longer than others due to different cities having different challenges - it may be infrastructure either inside the city or outside the city - it could be RoW, resources, people - anything. Obviously if we can't get our fiber (or a lease on dark fiber) from Mumbai to say, Nagpur, it'll be a little difficult for us to provide an Internet service there.

Major metros (or state capitals, as the case may be) will take the "longest" because we would have to set up local call centers in each for linguistic as well as practical reasons in addition to everything else.

would like to know if uploads are counted in FUP or just dl as mtnl does

They are counted separately, as in (FUP) GB down + (FUP) GB up.

As per my own tests over the last 2 weeks with a symmetrical connection and over 250 seeding files, even reaching 200GB of upload in a month is a challenge: I can reach 50+GB of downloads in a night without difficulty, but 50+GB of uploads took some patience - over a week.

That being said, it could be the trackers or files - maybe if I tried with some Indian or public trackers and a better set of files (blockbuster movies instead of legal torrents), I might see different results.

I thought it might be interesting to find out what you guys have planned, for when you finally get Hayai.

I'm presuming many are going to be using up (a large proportion of) their bandwidth with downloads of DVDs, Bluray movies and the like, some are going to be overdosing on youtube, others will be using gameservers (or starting their own?), but I'd really like to know what else you guys are thinking/ dreaming of. Just seeing a figure like 1 gbps on paper, or for that matter even 100 mbps, doesn't tell you anything about how amazingly fast it is, till you get down to using it. So maybe many of us are going to find some cool things to do once we start using the service, and the initial euphoria and speed-high settles in.

I've been using seedboxes recently, and the ones I'm on now are on 1gbit pipes. I've got up to 90 MB/s (720 mbit) speeds downloading and close to 40 MB/s uploading. Its incredible how fast these are, and I've only fully understood this after using them. Bluray films come down in a few minutes (if there are other fast connections / seedboxes seeding), and if you're the kind that uses file hosts like link-removed, well, getting a 1 gb file down just took me less than a minute. All this has helped me get a feel for the kind of speeds we're talking about with Hayai.

But there are many minuses to seedboxing. There are limits to the sites you can use, and you have to get the files down to your home computer through ftp and this is totally dependent on your home connection speed......uhh, enough said.

So obviously, this is going to be one of the things, getting huge files down faster, improving ratios on private trackers and all that. But I'm more interested in trying to imagine what else is possible with it. I think mgcarley asked something similar in some other thread, but I thought this deserves a thread on its own. Maybe you have some ideas for us too, mgc? What do you usually do with such speeds? 🙂

I'm also thinking more along the lines of how this might be used in fields like medicine, development etc., though this might have to wait till the network is much more widespread.

Also, as a sidenote, I just noticed that the 1 gbps plan has a soft FUP of 500 gb. As mentioned above, I'm on 1 gbit servers, and I've found that I can get through that much (download and upload) in around 3-4 days, and even sooner if there are things like freeleeches on somewhere. Don't you think its a little on the lower side....maybe something like 1 tb might do it, seeing as how its easy to upload ~200 gigs in a day on such connections.

Yeah but interested in Fiber.

----------

if in case they increase their usage up to 40 to 45 for Hayai Lite product.

Yeah but interested in Fiber.

Yeah, proper FTTH 😉

if in case they increase their usage up to 40 to 45 for Hayai Lite product.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see how well the equipment handles the subscriber load and then we can adjust accordingly. Keep in mind it's 30GB of off-net bandwidth + 60GB of on-net bandwidth (including Youtube etc) that is included in the top-tier plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.