How are you guys planning on using your Hayai connections?

• Thread starter Thread starter baxilone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 20,906
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense in a similar way that we anticipate BT should work on our network - if used correctly, only a small number of users would download the torrent using the International circuits, after which, being in the network it would be very easy (not to mention fast) for other users to obtain as well.

Is this going to be for all torrents downloaded or only for the more popular stuff? I'm guessing you'll be using some algorithm to cache only the more in-demand stuff for a certain amount of time, so any subsequent downloads of these will literally fly? Also, if this is the case, I'm just curious to know on what basis you'll decide a particular torrent is 'popular' and deserves cache-ing and also, how will you decide how much time a certain torrent remains in the cache?

Probably somewhere between 150 and 300ms as that IP address is somewhere in the US and not relevant to the conversation. At the moment I'm only concerned with IPs actually in India.

Okay can you do speedtest to chennai speedtest.net server. From many days I'm Getting ping from 85-120ms. lets see how much you get!

his point was simple. more hayai users would mean higher probability that a torrent you want to download is already being seeded by someone else. and since he would be in hayai zone, you would be able to fetch data from his computer at lot faster speeds without costing you bandwidth. this only works out of course if people seed.

Is this going to be for all torrents downloaded or only for the more popular stuff? I'm guessing you'll be using some algorithm to cache only the more in-demand stuff for a certain amount of time, so any subsequent downloads of these will literally fly? Also, if this is the case, I'm just curious to know on what basis you'll decide a particular torrent is 'popular' and deserves cache-ing and also, how will you decide how much time a certain torrent remains in the cache?

It will be completely automated, but in addition, our private torrent tracker will be there to ensure that there would be seeds in our network. This would require users to upload the actual torrent file and add the tracker to their list, but it's one way to guarantee the largest proportion of HZ (free) bandwidth consumption.

Okay can you do speedtest to chennai speedtest.net server. From many days I'm Getting ping from 85-120ms. lets see how much you get!

To all the Vodafone servers I get rubbish pings on speedtest.net, however pings to the servers themselves from command prompt are significantly better (though still not that good). My ping to Colombo's server is decent, and when the Delhi server is coming up as Hughes and not Vodafone, my Delhi pings are alright too. I've been bitching about the same on Twitter lately.

----------

(Following on from a previous PM post)

Ah no, I repeat once again, that on your lowest priced plan costing 2k - I would be happy with 400 GB of download a month. Not a byte above that. But perhaps indirectly you have stated that in any case, the price of 5 bucks (that happens as a consequence), wont be allowed.

Quite the opposite. The FUP is not an FUP in way that it is widely understood - it's simply an idea of what reasonable use is. The numbers that have been published are on the safe side and not an indication that you will be cut off at a certain point.

1. --
2. As far as MTNL goes - Bombay should see the same price as Delhi for the 2 mbits/s sometime next year - which is Rs 2k not Rs5k.
3. --

1. --
2. Not likely. The price was raised only recently.
3. --

Oh and I saw your second message just now - yes please ask about the unofficial rate 🙂)

Will do, but, even if it's possible on the financial side, there are other questions that have to be asked, such as, is my company obliged to help you pirate content by giving you a better deal on bandwidth just because you commit to a higher amount and so on. Moreover, what higher amount would we need you to commit to to split the price in half. It becomes quite murky in several respects, but I'll check it out anyway and let you know what advice I am given on the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm yes its pirated - because the companies rip people off anyway to make their millions. So I dont feel morally wrong about doing this hehe. If they priced it like say Moserbear did for their hindi movie dvd's at 50 bucks each, then it would make sense to buy everything. But yeah their quality at 50 bucks was of course abysmal.

I can't dispute that Hollywood etc are profiteering/ripoff artists/etc, I absolutely agree with you. I also agree that for the most part these days what they make is complete and utter trash and rarely worth watching.

Rs10/GB is quite cheap when all things are taken in to consideration - including but not limited to the comparable cost of a comparable service in another country. In Japan and Australia they do unlimited for about Rs3200 and Rs4800 respectively, but the FUP is about 1TB, so these are probably heading towards the lower limits of what we can expect until such time as India has a good hosting infrastructure.

I will grant you, however, that certain countries are very much the exception: unlimited as in unlimited. However, taking a 100mbit/s connection on SK Telecom (South Korea, price about Rs1,400) as an example, I might suggest that even they'd get a bit annoyed if you tried to utilize 2TB a month.

It's all about using the network responsibly, and I'm sure they have policies to reflect that same, so I think basically you'll probably have to make a concession or tradeoff somewhere: financial, quality or something else entirely.

I'll be using my connection mostly for downloading 2~3 movies every month,youtube videos almost every other day, downloading anime+tv series around 10~15 episodes per month andfinally if time permits a bit of online gaming mostly MMO's !!I can't wait for HAYAI !! 😀

his point was simple.

more hayai users would mean higher probability that a torrent you want to download is already being seeded by someone else.

and since he would be in hayai zone, you would be able to fetch data from his computer at lot faster speeds without costing you bandwidth.

this only works out of course if people seed.
You know, many people don't seed because their stuff has already downloaded, so why waste bandwidth on seeding (upload). 200 or 201, one and the same thing. But as Hayai is offering separate data for download and upload at no extra cost, then many more people will be interested in seeding, and because of Hayai Zone, they'll be able to seed at gigabit speeds, and that too for free. So I don't think seeding will be a problem.

You know, many people don't seed because their stuff has already downloaded, so why waste bandwidth on seeding (upload). 200 or 201, one and the same thing. But as Hayai is offering separate data for download and upload at no extra cost, then many more people will be interested in seeding, and because of Hayai Zone, they'll be able to seed at gigabit speeds, and that too for free. So I don't think seeding will be a problem.

Its sad we are not gonna get Hayai....this Diwali.....!! 🙁
I meant the folks of Nagpur... :/

Waited 10 months..
Will wait some more..!

And anyway.. the world's fastest connections don't come cheap either..!

Waited 10 months..
Will wait some more..!

And anyway.. the world's fastest connections don't come cheap either..!
might be irrelevant to ask you this question...but wth anyway.... :/
where do you live in Nagpur...??

In Laxminagar.. so hoping Hayai will consider my locality... After all, it's upper middle class locality, and quite near from Ajni station..

In Laxminagar.. so hoping Hayai will consider my locality... After all, it's upper middle class locality, and quite near from Ajni station..
Oww..Laxminagar...
You must be knowing Sanjeevani hospital then i guess....??
And yeah they might consider you as welll....lucky you... :/ i am stuck with MTNL right now

Oww..Laxminagar...
You must be knowing Sanjeevani hospital then i guess....??
And yeah they might consider you as welll....lucky you... :/ i am stuck with MTNL right now
Yeah.. quite well, I live quite close to Aath Rasta square.

BSNL is worse.. after all its BS Nigam Limited..

Here's hoping. It will help everyone.

As much as I'd love to have ubiquitous & nationwide coverage as of October 26th, that's not the case.

If you're not the only person from your locality to sign up, then sure 😀

My area is on the map in NCR. How do I sign up for hayai? Is there a way I can be a part of the pilot project?

My area is on the map in NCR. How do I sign up for hayai? Is there a way I can be a part of the pilot project?

You can subscribe when our website opens, but as of now we will be rolling out in NCR only in early 2012.

There is no pilot project.

Status
Not open for further replies.