A few queries about TATA sky Hd video outputs..

• Thread starter Thread starter IMNS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 7,364

IMNS

Regular
After a week of being Airtel IPTV-less and missing pretty much all the shows/movies I used to watch, I've pretty much decided on upgrading to Tata Sky HD Plus tomm. But my 54 inch TV isnt true HD as even though it supports upto 1080i, its a 4:3 box. So any 720p/1080i content will be displayed with black bars on top and bottom. So watching anything in HD would mean a smaller screen size (about 40 inch) than SD content which will fill up the whole screen.

Now I dont mind the smaller screen size when watching the few HD channels as the quality will make up for the loss of screen real estate, but I dont want to watch the SD channels in my TV's 16:9 mode as SD channels on tatasky are transmitted in 4:3 only. Watching those channels in the regular sd mode of my TV will be a much better experience.

So my question is, does tata sky hd supports different resolutions? I mean is there an option in the settings where you can change your output to 480i/480p/720p/1080i etc?
Or there is no such option? In which case, does the HD STB have regular composite/S-video outputs in addition to HD Component cables? Can I connect both the component and composite outputs to my TV's respective inputs simultaneously? Will it provide simultaneous output to both component and composite? If thats the case then I can simply change the AV channels on my TV whenever I'm watching the HD channels.
If tatasky doesnt provide simultaneous output on both, then is it possible to easily switch between the two outputs via tatasky remote? That too will work for me.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙂

You can select the option of viewing SD channels in 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. All HD channels would still remain in 16:9 format.I guess the option is in User Settings>> Picture>> Then Last Option (Stretch/Pillar Box 16:9/4:3)

I got the STB installed yesterday and it seems to be working fine without any need of changing any options in the settings everytime I switch from HD to non HD channels. My TV doesnt have HDMi so not sure if it'll work the same with that too but with component cables I'm getting SD channels in 4:3 and the HD channels in 16:9 automatically. One happy customer here 🙂

thats because you are one of the very lucky few with a unique win-win situation. TS HD outputs SD channels ( the bulk channels ) in 4:3 , 1080i ; while the HD channels in 16:9 . You could also play with your TV's zoom settings ( Normal, wide or their equivalent to get the best picture in HD channels)