Connect between PC's - unable to even ping

• Thread starter Thread starter ShaQ.Blogs
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,065

ShaQ.Blogs

ISP
BSNL
This is my first post here. I basically am trying to connect one PC to another using Remote Desktop. I first tried to ping. Ping itself fails! (Both of which are connected to the BSNL modem/router)Both PC's are able to access internet simultaneously and both PC's can ping the router's IP.I have the following model AN1020-20. I think manufaturer is VMC from hyderabad.What do I need to do, to fix this?Secondly, I replaced my older BSNL router with the current new one, which dosent have wireless (We had requested for a wireless, and yet... Sigh!). I also have a wireless router from D-Link. Earlier with the old BSNL modem I could connect it to the wireless router and use the router. Now if I connect the new BSNL router to the wireless router the internet works for few minutes and then no more through the wireless. (The LAN out from the BSNL modem is connected to Internet input of my wireless router)What needs to be done to fix this?

(A)
The LAN out from the BSNL modem is connected to Internet input of my wireless router)
Mention bsnl modem make/number.
mention Wireless router make/model/number.

How you connect / Dialer mode or PPPoE ("Always On" ) mode.

Post data from modem: Device Info/Statistics/ADSL
Mod mode selected/ SNR/ATTN

(B)

I basically am trying to connect one PC to another using Remote Desktop.
Mention OS used in each system.
Presume you want to share/access files/folders from each other. confirm.

BSNL Modem: VMC - AN1020-20Wireless Router: D-Link - DIR615Connect using PPPoE - Always on mode*************************************System Information Model Name AN1020-20 Firmware Version 10.4.3.12.12 DSL Firmware Version E.37.9.72 System Up time 00:39:33s Internet Connection DSL Status Connected Last Failed 0x00000000 Downstream Data Rate 3995 kbps Upstream Data Rate 494 kbps DNS Primary 218.248.245.5 DNS Secondary 218.248.255.147 Max Att Downstream Rate 8772 kbps Max Att Upstream Rate 1102 kbps SNR (Downstream) 19.0 dB SNR (Upstream) 23.5 dB Line Attentuation(Downstream) 30.5 dB Line Attentuation(Upstream) 19.0 dB Connected Standard Adsl2+(AnnexA) Gateway IP 0.0.0.0*************************************OS used in one PC is WinXP SP2 & other PC Win7 Home Basic (Using Win 7 as client).Browsing & sharing data. Have my HiFi system in another room. Intend to connect the laptop to it, and the laptop is used for browsing. The actual browsing happens from the desktop which is connected to remotely. I dont intend to browse from the laptop directly due to other constraints.

trying to connect remotely?make sure that remote connection assistance and connection is enabled on both the PC's.you should use the the IP address of the modem to connect.PC 1: 192.168.1.2 (say)PC 2: 192.168.1.3 (say)then you can connect remotely to PC 1 by entering its IP/Hostname in PC 2.

the ping fails due to the firewall.

do you have an internet security suite which has an firefall?

try to disable that and turn on the default firewall in the OS.

have you made network between the two computers? keep the name of the workgroup same on both the PC's. normally the sharing process is simple in Win7. disable the password option in Win7 network.

----------

a great tool to transfer files if the default networking mode is not working. it's simple and easy to use.

IP Messenger

exactly^^ Ping is failing because there is some Security software, A firewall blocking access to your computer. So turn that off/add local area to exceptions and try.

Perform a Clean Boot then try.

*Avoid accessing websites as you might get a virus.

the ping fails due to the firewall.

thanks a bunch! works like a charm.
now have ti figure out how to add an exception to zonealarm rather than disable it

----------

how do I now fix the other issue. Using the WiFi router
I replaced my older BSNL router with the current new one, which dosent have wireless
(We had requested for a wireless, and yet... Sigh!).
I also have a wireless router from D-Link.
Earlier with the old BSNL modem I could connect it to the wireless router and use the router.
Now if I connect the new BSNL router to the wireless router the internet works for few minutes
and then no more through the wireless.

(The LAN out from the BSNL modem is connected to Internet input of my wireless router)
What needs to be done to fix this?

the connection between the LAN's seems fine.keep the 'PPoE' & 'Always on' option ticked and that should disable 'Idle Timeout'if 'Dial on demand' is selected, the option of 'Idle Timeout' is enabled.better keep it to 'Always on'

that is how it is already set.

Internet(WAN) Configuration:
VPI / VCI - 0 / 35
Service Category - UBR With PCR 0 cell/s
Connection Type - PPPoE LLC/SNAP, Always On
PPPOE AC - Not Configured
PPPOE Service Name - dataone
NAT - On
WAN IP Address - Automatically Assigned
Default Route - On