Now Airtel Modem-routers no longer repaired / replaced by Airtel.

• Thread starter Thread starter Styler
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 14,405
I got the 220BX repaired from their service center, it costed me Rs 400 (250 repair, 150 adapter) + the time and money spent in taking the modem there.Thankfully I have both MTNL and Airtel so not too much of a problem when one goes down.

can someone pls suggest a good dsl modem? i want to keep a backup handy incase my airtel modem conks off.... cant bother going to the beetel service center. I already have a wireless router of my own ... Linksys E1000. But i can still buy a dsl modem-wireless router combo, right? I hope whatever dsl modem-wireless router combo that i buy, has some option to disable to the built-in wifi in the modem as i am pretty happy with my linksys wireless router.

Use Linksys or Asus modem (+ Wifi) and keep Airtel ones as backup... They are good for backup only, I am using a linksys ADSL+ WiFi for last 2 years and Airtel modem is getting all the dust as that one is used for backup now the days in case this one goes bad, chances are 0.0001 % of this modem going bad

^^ thanks for the advice bro 🙂but as stated, i already have a Linksys E1000 wireless router which i really like. Can i simply get a dl modem+wireless combo ( like D-Link 2750U ) and use it only for the dsl modem part. Is it possible to disable the wifi in the modem since i already have a good and well set-up standalone wifi router?thanks in advance for the help 🙂

Thanks to all for the replies... i bought D-Link 2750U online just now 🙂

Just came to know that Airtel is bloody charging Rs 750 for replacing the modem.. As far as I remember it used to be under life time warranty. Can we use some third party proper good company modem along with Netgear wi-fi router ( WGR614v5) instead of the crap which Airtel gives in form of Beetel Modem

Get any third party adsl2 modem you want , it will work with airtel or the other option which is a lot more popular with people here - leave Airtel

Get any third party adsl2 modem you want , it will work with airtel or the other option which is a lot more popular with people here - leave Airtel
Alas how I wish I could do that but unfortunately in my part of the town ,Airtel is the best of the lot..So a third party ADSL2+wifi router will work effortlessly once all the settings have been keyed in or will it require any authorisation to be done at Airtel end ?? Say MAC id level of authorisation??

^^ No. You can use any ADSL modem / router with Airtel. Just key in the appropriate credentials along with the right VPI/VCI values.
Thanks dude..next natural question ..🙂Any good recommendations ?I am a high downloader but would require reliable connection as I log onto my office VPN from home

well i had an existing modem and when i asked about a new connection i was told that i would have to pay 700 bucks even if i did not want to take the modem from them. something on that line.

well think of it as an installation charge. you can take the modem or not. it is your choice. but you have to pay 700-750 for the connection. something on that line.

would be nice if someone else can confirm.

actually you don't have to pay anything other than 500 for installation if you have your own modem (not the one which reliance provides). at least that's what the guy who came to install told me.

i guess i was communicated wrong information then!

I recently got Airtel Broadband installed being a loyal customer of BSNL for close to 4 years (since i got fed up of BSNL customer care and so called JTO who cares a damn about his/her customers...you need to literally beg if you have any issues)

That said - Airtel gave me choice:

1. if you have your own ADSL modem need not buy from Airtel. But unfortunately for me i did not prefer buying ADSL modem from BSNL but was paying rental all these years 😀

2. Airtel guys also gave me an option a. Pay non-refundable fees of Rs. 500 towards registration OR b. Pay an advance rental of plan you choose (i chose 999 UL plan 2MBPS plan up to 10GB and thereafter FUP will be effective with 256 kbps). but they told me that your first bill will be adjusted with the advance rental you paid. So fingers crossed until i receive my first bill..I will update this thread for sure once i receive first bill for benefit of my fellow members 🙂

@lazybrain
But unfortunately for me i did not prefer buying ADSL modem from BSNL
but was paying rental all these years
Option 1 :
If the modem is in working condition, you need not surrender it to BSNL.
Opt for Outright purchase with 50% of rent paid till date, ( along with security deposit )
deducted from cost of modem/router Rs 1100 or Rs 1800 as applicable.
SEE BSNL Broadband FAQ45.
I am on Monthly Rental Scheme for the Modem and decide to opt for outright purchase of modem,
what amount shall be charged from me?
If you want to continue with the existing modem, 50% of the amount already paid
as monthly rentals can be adjusted in the Sale Price of modem

Option 2 :
surrender modem/router and get refund of security deposit.

@lazybrain
Option 1 :
If the modem is in working condition, you need not surrender it to BSNL.
Opt for Outright purchase with 50% of rent paid till date, ( along with security deposit )
deducted from cost of modem/router Rs 1100 or Rs 1800 as applicable.
SEE BSNL Broadband FAQ45.

Option 2 :
surrender modem/router and get refund of security deposit.

Correct - all these things will hold true if BSNL customer care has come clue what to do?? the customer care is so sloppy that i will be following up for days and months together to figure out the procedure how to purchase modem from BSNL and to add to it JTO in koramangala is not at all approachable unlike Basaveshwaranagar (the area from which i shifted). i should say that BSNL service is just area specific and ONLY depends on JTO incharge of a particular area!!