My Beauty LED, the latest Videocon D2H HD (non-DVR) connection and earlier TATA SKY SD connection

• Thread starter Thread starter npat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 10,408

npat

ISP
BSNL
Please Note: Since I am the one who has started this thread, the experiences mentioned here along with the opinions are *solely* mine. I am not paid to propagate any DTH brand nor am I paid for advertising a Television brand. What I will mention here is purely based on my experience, what my eyes see on the television and what my ears hear from the speakers.

This thread will be updated time to time as relevant experiences and details are available. In the meantime, the buying decision and my first experience with Videocon can be seen here https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/70342-videocon-d2h-dth-customer-experience/18/ Page-18 and here https://broadband.forum/videocon-d2h-dth/70342-videocon-d2h-dth-customer-experience/19/ Page-19

So lets begin... 🙂

No matter what connection I subscribe to (Airtel, Dish TV, Reliance DTV, Sun Direct, Tata Sky or Videocon D2H), the connection will be as good as the TV. If the display device is not up to the mark then there is no point in rating the various DTH services available at our disposal. Having said that, I would first like to pay tribute to my Beauty of 6 months. Yes, she is 6 months old now and her name is LG 47LE5500. So folks, sit back and enjoy some of the pics of my Beauty.

But wait, how do I upload pics in this forum?

Well, as it always is, I got valuable help from the members here on how to upload images...I must admit, it's a cool way 🙂

The first image below is of the Beauty, when in Stand-By mode...

The next 2 images show JPEG files when viewed on the TV...

Next few images show how the Beauty has been wall-mounted and also the reception of Tata Sky SD connection.

Modern day technologies allow the TV be swiveled 179 degrees either way, thereby presenting an option to make connections with the Side Panel as well as the Back Panel without any fuss.

I had no complaints whatsoever with the TS connection, however, I was somehow dissatisfied with the treatment that was being meted out to the TV. I mean, it was meant to handle Full HD 1080p pictures, but here I was, feeding it just with a meagre 580i resolution source. I felt as if I had an Expressway to speed on, but only a Nano to drive with (no offence meant to Nano owners, I just want to highlight it's punny engine when compared to the options available on an Expressway)

I had almost made up my mind to go ahead and book a TS HD connection since I was a satisfied customer of that brand. I was never interested in a DVR since I am not the one who craves for a particular show on a particular channel. Moreover, most of the programs being repetitive I was sure to catch up on any missing stuff either today or tomorrow. So I decided not to spend those extra bucks on a DVR and rather invest it on the highest available channel package so that HD channels are not missed upon.

Although I had no grudges towards TS, I wanted to be on the safer side and have a look at the vast number of opinions available on the Net to convince myself that of the fact that if I go one notch up in terms on technology (SD to HD) my current operator should be good to go with. Alas, this was not the case as I discovered during the course of my so-called "research"...

TS is/was constrained in terms of Channel Capacity and it was almost certain that there won't be an addition of any new HD channels to its kitty. I leave this to individuals to verify the authenticity of this information, but what I read sounded logical.

Also, the fact that Videocon offers the highest number of HD channels in the market today was kind of a lollipop for me. I thought that if I am getting the max number of HD channels and too of reputed broadcasters, then why not give D2H a chance, after all I was in the market once again to shop HD and not SD. After doing a plethora of research on D2H website and gaining valuable insight from the information posted here by the esteemed members of this forum, especially IndianMascot and Jaymin who are direct customers of D2H, I was more than convinced that D2H is the way to go at the moment. I just wanted to tweak the Installation Engineer as per my requirement so that I can get the maximum out of his abilities and that of the D2H technology, of course if it's do-able, for e.g. setting the Signal Quality and Strength between 95 and 100 percent.

Well, I was able to do the tweaking TODAY and the result that was available for my eyes and ears was extraordinary, exemplary, mind-blowing and most importantly, what the Beauty truly deserves. Today, I feel like I am screeching the Expressway with a 300 BHP automobile (I am against High Speed driving)...

I got my Videocon D2H HD connection installed today with a consistent Signal Quality of 98% and a Signal Strength of 100% (many people doubt that this Strength is set as default, I leave this to individual's speculation as I am only concerned with what I am getting in real-time)

I have taken some snaps with the new connection that I was able to manage with my 3 to 4 hours with D2H.

All my pics have been shot using a 7.1 MP camera, which is meagre as per current standards, and hence, the quality might not be high.

The STB is currently set to 1080i, 50Hz (more experiments to follow this weekend) and the Beauty is set to Maximum Energy Saving mode which means that the HD picture quality can only improve / increase and never go below the current display standards.

use imgur...for pics...

Upload the images to www.imgur.com.
Then once you have the links to the images, modify your original post by adding [xmg] image link here [/xmg]

Replace x with i

V are waiting for the pics......But @ npat......man u have started with a disclaimer? 😀 Good, i think u want to play it completely safe!

use imgur...for pics...

Thanks for pointing me to the appropriate Application.

----------

Upload the images to imgur: the simple image sharer.
Then once you have the links to the images, modify your original post by adding [xmg] image link here [/xmg]

Replace x with i

Thanks for the "How to do it"... I am planning to upload them tonight itself 🙂

Ok!! Will come back after Singham now! And u also enjoy it!

I have 1 question here.....was this comedy movie, or serious movie? The topic they took, was serious, but they overdid the action & dialogues completely! It looked more like a comedy!

One thing that I am absolutely going to enjoy with D2H is the availability of Radio Channels. I can simply switch of the screen when not in a mood to watch the TV and still listen to a wide variety of music through the speakers / Home Theatre system. TS surely lacks behind in this. Also, the Active Music HD channel is a good option to watch songs in HD quality.

----------

I just noticed that for my STB the Download Id displayed is 8...if I recall correctly, this is a much older Firmware version... Can any one let me know how to update to the latest version? Just switch off supply from the Mains and start it back or is there something else that needs to be done?

Firstly, nice work done by u in sharing so many pics! Njoi the viewing! Dont know about the others, but since u are amongst us, u will surely hate to watch SD channels, after watching HD.

Now coming to the most recent post of urs.......

1) Yes the Radio service is really good, but u need to find time for it. U have so many HD Channels in the first place. Next if thats not enuf, u have been telling that ur wife also is fond of serials. So i dont think u wud find much time for Radio. Atleast in the initial few months. But yes i very often watch Active D2h HD Music. Even though the songs do repeat, i still watch them, if its a song of my liking. It just looks & sounds awesome, alongwith being ur fav song. Simple as that.
2) Since u have DVR, it surely must get updated to ID 22. Urs looks too old, just like what Ashish has. Dont switch off the STB from mains ever! May be its ok at nights. But try to keep it "ON" for as long as possible. Whenever the update window is opened, u will get massive updates. And since its not updated, we can be pretty sure u r facing some or the other bugs in ur STB.

May be u have missed out, but we can be sure, it isnt immaculate right now! 😀

----------

And yeah, u cant do anything except wait. they have a policy to update Over the Air (OTA) only. No one can do anything, until the update window opens.

Firstly, nice work done by u in sharing so many pics! Njoi the viewing! Dont know about the others, but since u are amongst us, u will surely hate to watch SD channels, after watching HD.

Now coming to the most recent post of urs.......

1) Yes the Radio service is really good, but u need to find time for it. U have so many HD Channels in the first place. Next if thats not enuf, u have been telling that ur wife also is fond of serials. So i dont think u wud find much time for Radio. Atleast in the initial few months. But yes i very often watch Active D2h HD Music. Even though the songs do repeat, i still watch them, if its a song of my liking. It just looks & sounds awesome, alongwith being ur fav song. Simple as that.
2) Since u have DVR, it surely must get updated to ID 22. Urs looks too old, just like what Ashish has. Dont switch off the STB from mains ever! May be its ok at nights. But try to keep it "ON" for as long as possible. Whenever the update window is opened, u will get massive updates. And since its not updated, we can be pretty sure u r facing some or the other bugs in ur STB.

May be u have missed out, but we can be sure, it isnt immaculate right now! 😀

----------

And yeah, u cant do anything except wait. they have a policy to update Over the Air (OTA) only. No one can do anything, until the update window opens.

Thanks Jaymin.

1) Radio Service is for when there is no mood to watch TV, as I mentioned earlier. My wife avoids serials most of the time and the only sops that we watch are on SAB TV. She was unhappy when I told her that 9XM isnt available on D2H, but after learning that D2H instead has Radio services the matter ended there.

2) Mine is *not* a DVR, so not sure what the correct id is for a normal HD box.

3) I will definitely switch it off in the night as the TV and STB are connected to the same Voltage Stabilizer, lets see if the updates can be downloaded during rest of the day.

----------

Following message is being displayed on http://www.videocond2h.com currently. I must mention here that their maintenance team lacks language / grammar skills. They either have their statement wrong or they spelt "apologize" incorrectly...They were able to spell "inconvenience" correctly, but not "apologize". A huge company with such a shabby attitude...

Ok, i think i have mixed up some of the other members' facts, with urs at 12:30 AM in the night! 😀 Chemical Locha u see!If its HD box, then u can just confirm from ur engineer as to which ID is the right one. In HD DVR its 22. In SD Box, i think MAX mentioned that his id is 39.......so there are chances that all the 3 boxes have different firmwares. And that seems logically right too.

Nice Thread.............After seeing your BEAUTY, now i am curious to have your review/experience with LG LE5500. Share it if you can please.