THe Need of information about DTV

• Thread starter Thread starter rajm11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,066
R

rajm11

Hey guys, I am pretty sure this forum consists of people who are intellegent and well aware of technology. I for one like to disect the technolgy and learn from it may be improvise on it too. I would like to know about this DTH technology first hand( well second hand actually) SInce I dont have cable/DTH at my home, I want you to tell me WHat is STB, how does it function? what is descrambler, has any one of you have open an STB for any company ??? Waiting on your replies...

It is very huge thing to explain. Visit scatmag.com - Satellite & Cable TV as there they have covered most of technical terms.

In simple words STB is Set Top Box, which converts digital signal received on High Frequency RF from Satellite/Cable to Audio/Video output which TV can display/produce.

I have worked on STB for 6 years, and I can claim I know few things about it 🙂

I have worked on STB for 6 years, and I can claim I know few things about it

Which company's box?

@ Topic.....i dont have any idea of technicals of this line.

Which company's box?

Those STBs were products of company which I worked for (outside India, so not relevant with any of Indian DTH operators).

Ok, got it. But so u must be having an understanding of how things are worked out.

A very rough and probably incorrect info. I know and guess is the descrambler has a few thousand burnt on some SOC chip. For pay channels to make sure that MSO's and hence end-customers pay the signal is encrypted and scrambled. The descrambler probably looks at some part of the signal, reads some info. from some part of the signal, takes some pattern/info. to the thousands of codes and matches it somewhere. If you watch pay channels then sometimes you see some number appearing at some odd place on the screen. That is part of the thing as well. I haven't worked on STB's even remotely but do find it fascinating to see what people do.