Activating 3G on a Blackberry device in Mumbai?

• Thread starter Thread starter chiga
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,545

chiga

ISP
Hathway
I want to activate 3G on my Blackberry Torch on Airtel in Bombay.. But I cannot seem to figure out how it works exactly.. Can anyone help me understand it?1. Do we need to have two packs activated? (I have the 599/- plan already active) so do I have to activate another 3G plan over and above this? (e.g 675/- 3G Flexi shield plan) thus paying 599 + 675 + Basic rental plan + Taxes?2. To expand on point number 1.. Can I not just pay 599/- + a small amount of money to have 3G or possibly even just the 675/- (not paying the 599/-) and have my Blackberry services working on 3G? Can I conversely activate the basic 249-299/- plan which has the basic stuff i.e 10 email accounts + im chat + bbm and then over and above that activate a 3G plan like 675/- will my BB work and internet work on 3G? 3. I have been trying to contact Airtel Blackberry (Bombay) since a few days but it is impossible to do so correctly.. I have tried both the 7070 and the 9892307070 numbers and both have been leading me to this apparent (GPRS department) instead of the the Blackberry helpline.. Which in my opinion makes no sense since both the number are only for blackberries in the 1st place.. Anyway I have spoken to them on a multiple number of occasions and I simply cannot get through to the Blackberry helpine because Airtel's systems are all messed up and are leading me straight to the wrong department.. I have tried many ways and have failed in every.. Even their supervisor on 2-3 occasions admitted that I was right and I need to visit a Airtel relationship centre instead..4. On one of my many talks with them.. I was speaking to this technical guy at Airtel and I don't know whether he was just clueless or just wrong but he told me that 3G speed will not work on your Blackberry unless you connect it to a computer or modem or something.. Is that in any way correct? Is that a restriction only in India or with only Airtel? Because I am quite certain 3G speed work on all 3G devices.. Hell I am quite certain other providers have 3G with Blackberries and the speed for which is much much quicker than the usual EDGE speeds.. So I just wanted to clarify no such restrictions exist..5. Does anyone have Airtel 3G active on their Blackberry in Bombay? If so what plan are you on and what kind of a monthly investment are we looking at here? Like I was trying to contact then and 1 option said start 3G services on your phone and you will be charged 10/10kb or something like that.. That is a farce! How can Airtel expect us to spend 599/- and simply to increase the speed of the connectivity another huge chunk of money (possibly more than 599/- which btw is only being paid to get unlimited or 2GB downloads free)Thanks in advance guys..

Airtel is a black hole!

Blackberry in any operator goes this way :

Monthly Voice Rental + Blackberry Rental + Service Tax

If you wish to use Blackberry as modem and connect to laptop/desktop, then Unlimited Usage Blackberry Plan is suggested.

I am surprised to know that Vodafone Call Centre works the same fashion as mentioned regarding Airtel.

Guys that still does not answer the original question as I am also looking for this answer and am unable to find one

Guys that still does not answer the original question as I am also looking for this answer and am unable to find one

So I happened to speak to a Knowledgeable guy on this forum as well as a Airtel Blackberry engineer who told me I must have the 599 plan plus a 3G plan for my blackberry to be 3G enabled.. However He also did slip me some under the able info (or he blatantly lied to me) saying that Airtel on Blackberry is planning on shifting all its services to 3G in a few months time.. When I asked him about the charges he said it would remain the same.. If this is true it would be truly amazing.. Airtel have been charging substantially more for the same services as compared to its competitors.. This move, if true will be a big bargaining chip for Airtel to get more Blackberry users onto their network..